Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

disneylandparisgirl

Quote from: "Columbiad"I'm finding myself pausing the video every other second to try and identify what the diagrams are in the background at the end of the video..... Any idea what they are?

They appear to be plans for toystory playland. The big circle seems to be the parachute drop and to the other side of the womans head seems to be RC Racer.
August 1997 offsite
August 1998 Cheyenne
May 1999 Disneyland hotel
July 2004 Cheyenne
August 2007 offsite
August 2010 Santa Fe
August 2011 Santa Fe
September 2015 Sequoia Lodge

peter

they didn't think it through, imagineering let us down.
there rules don't work here either.

1)story. actually, what is the storyline for the land? i couldn't work it out. has andy left them outside or something? and how convenient he took every toy imaginable, including the packaging (what kid does that?)

2)characters. toy story. nuff said. but do they ever walk round the area? and the giant buzz means that the costume buzz for meet and greets is too small.

3)feeling. angry, abused, insulted, tired, thirsty, in need of a toilet, hungry, worn out by 2 hour queues, disappointed kids can't go on rc racer. you could go on and on and the only good thing would be the lights are nice

davewasbaloo

agreed Peter. and what does it have to do with a studio?
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"agreed Peter. and what does it have to do with a studio?

Toy Story is a movie and that's why TSPL got built at WDS. :lol:  :lol:  WDI did really a lot of thinking in creating the story.

I think we have to accept that just because an attraction is based on a Disney movie, it fits into a Studios park. Isn't that sad!
Otherwise I can't explain why TSPL is in WDS.

I don't want to get the debate about TSPL started again, but I just finished an article in a D23 magazine about Disney's new hotel on Hawaii. In the article Imagineers talk about the effort they took to incorporate Hawaii's culture and history into the hotel. I really wish that WDI, TWDC, ED SCA would do that on every project, not only on the new Disney Ships, DCA and Aulani.

davewasbaloo

And this is my greatest lament. I am more interested in Aulani then I am in the planned event for DLP. Sadly DLP is closer and therefore more affordable.

dagobert

I really think that these huge projects, like the ships and the hotel or DCA, are done by long time Imagineers, because more money is involved, while these cheap rides, like TSPL, are done by regular Imagineers to get more practice. I really wonder what Imagineers really think about TSPL. I mean they have created wonderful rides, innovative ride technologies and now the company buys three off the shelf rides to be decorated.

Josh

It makes you wonder, though, why the more experienced imagineers didn't say "no" as soon as the idea was proposed in their meetings.

What I think, though, is that when they were designing the three new lands for Hong Kong Disneyland, DLP's management just said "hey, can we have one of them too, because we need to expand our Studios and we can't afford to have a unique land imagineered for us." It would be disappointing if that was the case.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

Quote from: "Meph"It makes you wonder, though, why the more experienced imagineers didn't say "no" as soon as the idea was proposed in their meetings.

What I think, though, is that when they were designing the three new lands for Hong Kong Disneyland, DLP's management just said "hey, can we have one of them too, because we need to expand our Studios and we can't afford to have a unique land imagineered for us." It would be disappointing if that was the case.

Unfortunately many of the older Imagineers, like Tim Delaney, creator of Discoveryland and SM, had to leave WDI. I think the last word still has ED SCA and not WDI.

I'm not sure for which Disneyland TSPL was created in the first place. Maybe you are right with your thoughts.

Anthony

Quote from: "Meph"What I think, though, is that when they were designing the three new lands for Hong Kong Disneyland, DLP's management just said "hey, can we have one of them too, because we need to expand our Studios and we can't afford to have a unique land imagineered for us." It would be disappointing if that was the case.
Not the case at all. Toy Story Playland was designed specifically for Walt Disney Studios from the start. I believe it was Hong Kong's dislike of several other ideas WDI pitched for them (such as the Pirate land) that eventually led to WDI suggesting Toy Story Land.

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "Meph"What I think, though, is that when they were designing the three new lands for Hong Kong Disneyland, DLP's management just said "hey, can we have one of them too, because we need to expand our Studios and we can't afford to have a unique land imagineered for us." It would be disappointing if that was the case.
Not the case at all. Toy Story Playland was designed specifically for Walt Disney Studios from the start. I believe it was Hong Kong's dislike of several other ideas WDI pitched for them (such as the Pirate land) that eventually led to WDI suggesting Toy Story Land.

Can you believe that? HKDL turned down such lands like Pirates Land in favour of the ugly TSPL. Isn't that sad. I have seen concept art of the new Pirates ride and it looks great. Maybe there is a chance to see the new attraction at Shanghai Disneyland.

davewasbaloo

They also turned down the very cool Arctic concept too. But I understand the issue for both concepts were budget related.

Josh

If you go here, you can find loads. ;)

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/walt ... -playland/
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

davewasbaloo

So now that it is open, and many of the plants have been dying, the photo spots keep getting taken away, and the low capacity attractions mean the waits are longer than for Space Mountain, ToT, Pirates of the Caribbean and even Peter Pan, what do you think of TSPL now?

DopeyDad

Lol, well when our family were there last year we had a lovely time, maybe we fit the target group and so some of the complaints people have didn't affect us much and it wasn't too busy (Oct).
Our 2yo loved Slinky and our 6yo loved the Parachute drop. I'm almost afraid to say that my wife though RC was her favorite ride in WDS (she is a thrill ride type though).

I know the photo location issues (and yes I remember you predicting it :) ) and there are silly mistakes like the Parachute area flooring that doesn't inspire confidence in their planning.

But I'm afraid I'm happy with it, although not amazed which is a missed opportunity for DLP.

dagobert

I haven't experienced TSPL by myself, so I'm going to judge from pictures, trip reports you can read on several Disney fan forums and from my friends who have already done all three rides. It seems to me that mostly families and kids like TSPL. I don't get that, because most children can't ride the parachute tower and RC Racer. I think DLRP missed an opportunity to create a nice little land that is really aimed towards children. I mean the park still lacks a family ride. Hopefully Ratatouille will change that.

I stand by my opinion I had already last year: It shouldn't have been built and the money should have been used for something else. I still think TSPL doesn't fit into the Studios and that it is not Disney standard. Maybe TWDC forced ED SCA to build it to promote TS 3. Although it brings some colours and greenery to the concrete park, there is nothing I really like about it. Waiting lines are long, due to the bad capacity and TSPL lacks of infrastructure like toiletts or a proper shop. After seeing the concept art for Ratatouille, I'm even more disappointed that TSPL got built. Maybe WDI should have chosen other type of rides, which are not as big and intrusive than the ugly green tower. Hopefully they will find a way to hide it better. Honestly it seems that WDI made some rookie mistakes.