some background
me:
~5 trips to disneyland
2 trips to disney world
the girl:
~12 trips to disneyland
2 trips to disney world
trip is our honeymoon
18 days in europe 4 days at the mouse (june 22-25)

-flew 10:50(total 2 flights) min from Boise and landed at CDG at 11:30
-after some trial and error found the right ticket office bought tickets for the 13:35 tgv -couldn't find our seats waited in end of the car for the 9 min trip
-checked bags as room wasn't ready(disney express is not available for north american passengers or thats what disney reservations told the travel agent :( )

-stayed at the hotel sante fe - (tangent- i have been to Santa Fe NM... and the Toas Pueblo ~2hr north of Sante Fe its ... yeah not really the same thing, or even kinda close, anyway)
-note for North Americans the 1st floor is actually the first floor above ground level (for everyone else: in north America the ground floor is the 1st floor) this caused some trouble and the people at the desk looked at me like i was a TOTAL idiot
-room was nice enough room had a slight hint of smoke but wasn't too bad no ac but the fan &open window were good enough
-went to mickey's cafe for dinner and wished i had brought ear plugs for all the children
-crashed at 22:00 after being awake for 25 hrs

-we stayed on property for one reason: extra magic hours,
so we were in the first group in the gate at 8:00 and the first people on space mountain, we had a train to ourselves..   we were surprised how bad the ride smacked us around we could only ride it twice before we gave up, it hurt too much and we found the same thing with indy
-we loved thunder .. it is by far the best of the three, although some ceiling fans in the que like in florida would make make it SOOOO much better
-scull rock and surrounding area were magnificent for that matter all the detail and theming were incredible and better than DL or WDW... that said the maintenance and upkeep is/was awe full
-never got to ride cush's coaster :(
-tower of terror in WDW is better but dlrp's doesn't disappoint
-rockin'roller coaster is better AT DLRP and loads way faster
-phantom manner is very different - skeletons vs ghosts and ghouls
-the smoking didn't bother me too much (no one smokes here maybe 1  in 75 ppl) but it bugged the girl
-hot day +no antiperspirants makes for stinky people
-Alice's maze is very cool but dam people spend $100 and paint it!
-Pirates of the Caribbean hasn't had the politically correct "enhancements" - or jack sparrow -yay!
- the dlrp castle is way way better
-everyday at noon we went back to the hotel and slept until 3 then went back to the park and stayed until closing..

all in all a very good trip
we found almost everyone speaks English ... almost no one speaks it well
it was a very good place to get acclimated to the language barrier
very very few Americans i saw 4 others .. unlike downtown paris, which was almost silly
-j

Anonymous

I'm surprised that you said almost everyone speaks English and almost no-one speaks it well.

I've found that 90% of the castmembers speak excellent English, and I have no problem holding long conversations with them. In fact, many castmembers are English too.

tubbsy

Hey Jaxx - Glad you enjoyed yourselves and you packed so much in.

We've come across the occasional cast member who didnt understand what we were asking-having a child with special needs, there isnt always an easy translation for needs and requirements. so that can stop a conversation-but they always got someone who could.

There was the incident at Sequoia tho'-when I tried my French. The lad at the desk spoke french with me, til I got stuck on a word and I moved to German (which I can get by in without using a phrase book) He swapped to German with me! Then I got stuck again and went to English, which he then spoke very well....and he was Spanish! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I need to do better!

Earplugs for Cafe Mickey! Brilliant idea. top of my packing list next time! :lol:

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Epcot_Boy

:hello:

A trip report with an American perspective.........that was fun.

Thanks for taking the time to report.

Also congratulations on your happy event, hope you have a long and happy marriage.

A honeymoon at a Disney Park, doesn't get better than that :wink:  =D>

Epcot_Boy :ears:

David

The Butlin Boy

Thanks for sharing your report Jaxx, I really enjoyed reading it :)

Jaxx

really not complaining about the language problems we had, just more of a info for others who read this..  and i agree CMs got the problem solved one way or another.. that is the disney difference

QuoteIn fact, many cast members are English too.
interesting, i don't think we came across a single native speaker the whole time

i am sure that my west coast colloquial English is quite a bit different than the  english that they were used too..
coming from a country where we don't have to take ANY secondary languages to graduate from secondary/high school/college i am just not used to dealing with it.. i have taken way more classes AFTER university than that i ever did in school

Anonymous

I definitely know that there are a few English rose's amongst the Princesses.  :wink: