Before Storybook Land...

Started by Anthony, May 31, 2009, 11:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

With all this talk of Fantasyland expansion and looking to the past, a thought struck me -- what did the corner of Fantasyland next to The Old Mill look like before Storybook Land arrived in 94?

Was the bridge already in place from opening, or did they have to fit it in? I'm guessing it was there, but only as a Cast Member exit? The area flows so naturally now with the little waterfall from the mill that I just can't imagine what it would have looked like beyond.

pussinboots

That's funny, I had the exact same thought yesterday. I presume it was one of those things that had been planned from the beginning (and one of the few to actually see the light of day)...  But that's why the new Memorabilia section is so great; it might solve all these mysteries one of these days.

Les Pirouettes was only added in '93, however. Which makes one wonder what the whole area looked like in the park's first year of operation.

davewasbaloo

I have a slightly hazy memory of that part of the park in the early days (I was too obsessed with the other amazing lands). But the Old Mill existed without the ferris wheel buckets, and if I recall, where the bridge now is was berm (similar as when they built IASW in HKDL).
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Thanks for the replies, the memory of a berm rather than a ready and waiting bridge seems to be right. While playing back the old 2005 planning DVD (which is basically a clips show of old footage), I came across this:

http://www.imgdash.com/uploads/15dec_Mi ... gDVD_x.jpg

You can just about see a berm there, no path leading downwards at all. It also looks like Fantasy Festival Stage is still open at the back, with only a wall where the show control booth is.

dagobert

Do you think that the Storybook Land was a good addition to the park?

The boat ride is nice, and I like it, but in my opinion Casey Jr. wasn't a good addition. But I think children like this coaster!

davewasbaloo

I think Storybookland is a great addition, especially Casey Jr. It was my fav as a child in California, and my kids love it too.

It was also the 1st coaster in the world with a synchronised soundtrack, so respect!

Willow

Casey Jr. is also the only ever Vekoma Powered-coaster.
I think its also the only powered rollercoaster than has more than 1 train.

Casey Jr. was the first Vekoma with an onboard soundtrack, according to RCDB, but they suspect it was the first rollercoaster with the soundtrack.
It doesn't seem like a big thing these days but I guess the technology just wasn't around in the early 90s for everyone to start doing it.
Maybe they used Casey Jr. as a test for Space Mountain?

There are a lot of facts relating the Casey Jr. as a ride.  :P

For what was essentially a quick fix the Imagineers did pretty good of Storybook Land.
It could do with a bit of a clean now though!

davewasbaloo

It was indeed a prototype approach to Space Mountain, RNR Coaster and Screamin' (as well as Universal and Hard Rock Copies in Japan and the US).

Also, it is much better than Goofy's Barnstormer in Florida or Gadget's Go Coaster in California.

But I agree, this part of the park could really use some maintenance.

Riebi

Quote from: "Anthony"Thanks for the replies, the memory of a berm rather than a ready and waiting bridge seems to be right. While playing back the old 2005 planning DVD (which is basically a clips show of old footage), I came across this:

http://www.imgdash.com/uploads/15dec_Mi ... gDVD_x.jpg

You can just about see a berm there, no path leading downwards at all. It also looks like Fantasy Festival Stage is still open at the back, with only a wall where the show control booth is.

There was no more then a berm  :wink:
You couldn´t even think that they want build a storybookland there in this days.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

ed-uk

Picture from my old shots taken in May 1993 from the top of the castle in Alice's maze - shows part of the build area, the old mill complete but not open and the area behind with soil covering - but does not quiet get around to casey/storybook.

Will have a look  in some other albums to see to have others
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ed-uk"

Picture from my old shots taken in May 1993 from the top of the castle in Alice's maze - shows part of the build area, the old mill complete but not open and the area behind with soil covering - but does not quiet get around to casey/storybook.

Will have a look  in some other albums to see to have others

If I remember, the Old Mill was there opening day. It was the ride componant and exterior building that were added in 93.