Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCC1701Q

Hi twentythingamabobs,

there seems to be a lot of confusement about the EAC/DPC with regards to parades and Disney Dreams! Also GETTING an EAC/DPC can be quite an ordeal as the CM's at the BPA often interpret rules and GP's letters differently. With the exact same letter from my GP I have received EAC's without any questions, EAC's with a lot of questions and "yes, but......" and DPC's without any question.
Too bad you were not allowed into the area for Disney Dreams! We have been told the EAC's are not valid for parades since the 1st of February this year but are valid for Disney Dreams! Whether the CM telling us this, or the CM-military you met is/was right - I'm not sure.

twentythingamabobs

Yeah I think a lot of it just comes down to the CM who you talk to. We haven't had bother in the past getting in the Dreams area with 4 of us but for parades there was only 1 allowed in, and even though the area only had about 12 people in it I still was not allowed in when the parade began. This was just for 1 extra person so I had to watch the parade on my own :(

I would still try to get into Dreams with the EAC, you might get a lovely CM especially if the area is quite empty.

nathalie

It's been longer then February this year that an orange card is not allowed in the special area's.
I've been June 2014 and it was still fine.  Halloween 2014 I got denied acces to the area for the parade (the one across from city hall, same one I was in June 2014).  Later that evening on Halloween I was allowed in the Dreams area.  Good thing I was, as I got a severe panic attack, and the CM noticed me having trouble and saw me panicking and helped me out of there.

Pretty sure if I was just in the crowd everyone would be minding their own business.

Nudge234

Hello everyone, I'm going to disneyland paris in august with my 6 year old son and my mum, my mum is 60 and had rheumatoid arthritis and has had a hip replacement she finds it hard to stand for long periods and walking distances etc, if she gets a letter would she be able to get a disability pass?? Thanks

littlebitofpixiedust

Hi, yes that shouldn't be a problem. Aslong as its dated within 2 months I think it is it should be fine just take the letter to city hall/studio services upon arrival to the parks. Blue badge is also sufficient (my son has one) but a friend that has global delay and learning disabilities took a letter for her GP and it was fine.

Just bare in mind some disabilities and conditions limit certain attractions my friend wasn't allowed on the parachute ride with hers but she wasn't to upset about it. But with arthritis I can't see much your mum wouldn't be allowed on. Have fun!  :)

trip2themoon

thanks for all the advice from my question a couple of weeks ago.  we had a great 5 days at DLP.  we took a letter from my wifes dr and her blue mobility badge and the CM said he didn't need the letter just the blue badge.  we were give a green access card which was great and allowed us to go through the exits on most attractions and the longest we had to queue was probably 15 mins!

thanks again.   

littlebitofpixiedust

Girl Scout Mom

Hello!

I am coming to DLP in a few weeks from California. At the parks  here I just need to explain my concerns to the Cast members and they will give me the DAS card. This is where I get a time to return to the ride versus waiting in the normal line - which depending on the day it can be impossible for me to do.

Can you explain to me what I would need from my doctor in order to get a similar type card? I am not sure I understand the difference between the two cards.

In the US we don't have disability cards.

Thank you for your assistance.

nathalie

Rules are different in Europe from the US when it comes to that.
There's a law in the US that prevents people from asking this, but that's not the case over here.

You need a doctor's note saying what is wrong, if it can cause anything and if there is something you can't do.
The note cannot be older then 3 months, prior to your visit.

Depending on what your dissability is you get a green card or an orange card.
I think the green one can be compared with the DAS card. 
From what I've read from people, I hear that with the green card you get a return time easier then when you get the orange card which 9 out of 10 leads you straight into the ride (depending on how busy it is).

NCC1701Q

Hi Nathalie and Girl Scout Mom,

I have (unfortunately) been using both cards for the last four years.
The Easy Access Card (EAC, orange) is for temporary illnesses (like a broken leg, or a pregnancy (not quite an illness though :) ). The Disability Priority Card (DPC, green) is for permanent disorders like blindness, deafness, autism, missing limbs etc.

I have always used both the EAC and now the DPC in the same manner: enter through the exit, show the card, wait, do the attraction. The wait time is dependent on how busy it is and what attraction it is. There is only one attraction where I ever have been asked to come back later: Studio Tram Tours. Each Tram has room for a maximum of eight EAC/DPC-holders, that is why there is sometimes a "wait".

Return times are also given at some meet-and-greet/photo-ops, but not at any other attractions, as far as I have experienced (which was also mid-summer, and in the week of Christmas - so busy periods!).

chicks99

Hi,

I'm taking my friend who is wheelchair bound to DLRP but we are not sure where to stay. Has anyone wheelchair bound stayed in one of the partner hotels before? If so, was it easy to navigate the shuttle bus etc.. with the wheelchair.

Thanks for the help :)

Girl Scout Mom

Quote from: NCC1701Q on June 02, 2015, 01:07:43 PM
Hi Nathalie and Girl Scout Mom,

I have (unfortunately) been using both cards for the last four years.
The Easy Access Card (EAC, orange) is for temporary illnesses (like a broken leg, or a pregnancy (not quite an illness though :) ). The Disability Priority Card (DPC, green) is for permanent disorders like blindness, deafness, autism, missing limbs etc.

I have always used both the EAC and now the DPC in the same manner: enter through the exit, show the card, wait, do the attraction. The wait time is dependent on how busy it is and what attraction it is. There is only one attraction where I ever have been asked to come back later: Studio Tram Tours. Each Tram has room for a maximum of eight EAC/DPC-holders, that is why there is sometimes a "wait".

Return times are also given at some meet-and-greet/photo-ops, but not at any other attractions, as far as I have experienced (which was also mid-summer, and in the week of Christmas - so busy periods!).

Thank you for the information.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: chicks99 on June 03, 2015, 12:21:40 PM
Hi,

I'm taking my friend who is wheelchair bound to DLRP but we are not sure where to stay. Has anyone wheelchair bound stayed in one of the partner hotels before? If so, was it easy to navigate the shuttle bus etc.. with the wheelchair.

Hi, my son is in a wheelchair and with regards to the shuttle buses and being in a wheelchair it is not easy. We used the shuttle bus twice in all once the driver lowerd the bus they do have a ramp but the other did not and we had to lift my son on.

If budget allows you I would consider one of the Disney in-site hotels? You can walk to all of them and it takes the hassle of trying to board a shuttle bus out from your trip. Which in my opinion is worth the extra, the Santa fe were excellent with regards to the accessible room we booked it was close to reception and had a wet room with a connecting door with a bath. So my son used wet room I used the bath  :) you have to mention you want this when booking though as there are a limited number.

Enjoy your trip!

chicks99

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on June 03, 2015, 11:15:49 PM
Quote from: chicks99 on June 03, 2015, 12:21:40 PM
Hi,

Hi, my son is in a wheelchair and with regards to the shuttle buses and being in a wheelchair it is not easy. We used the shuttle bus twice in all once the driver lowerd the bus they do have a ramp but the other did not and we had to lift my son on.

If budget allows you I would consider one of the Disney in-site hotels? You can walk to all of them and it takes the hassle of trying to board a shuttle bus out from your trip. Which in my opinion is worth the extra, the Santa fe were excellent with regards to the accessible room we booked it was close to reception and had a wet room with a connecting door with a bath. So my son used wet room I used the bath  :) you have to mention you want this when booking though as there are a limited number.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you ever so much for your reply. I think we will stay on site rather than off, it seems a lot easier.

:)

DisneyRose

It is sooo easy with a wheelchair if you stay onsite

We like the sequoia because if you are in a group of four or more and need the adapted bathroom you get an interconnecting room which is fantastic!  also if you are on level 1 (which we always have been) if you go out the same level exit, you can go back in at the same level as the restaurant without needing to use the lifts, which is actually pretty cool.  And they give you an easy access card for breakfast which means you don't have to pick breakfast times beforehand

Newport bay is not good with wheelchairs because of the stupid single lift down to the park exit and restaurant level.  There is no work around like the sequoia and when it is busy the lift is chocca
WDW -1987 DLP -1993(?) DLP - 1999 WDW - 2005
DLP My explorers 2006
DLP Newport bay 2007 2010
DLP sequoia 2008, 2011 2013 2015 2016, 2017