Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathryn

Can I ask my sister is registered blind although she can see a bit obviously queuing isn't a problem although she needs to have access to toilet due to a medical condition. Anyway is there anywhere special she can see shows/parades does she need a pass for this?

NCC1701Q

Hello Cathryn,

if your sister has a medical statement (in french or english, signed and stamped by her doctor in the last three months) or an official card (I'm not sure if those exist at all so apologies if not) stating she is officially blind she can get a Disability Priority Card. This gives access to specially appointed areas for watching the parades and Disney Dreams.
You get them from City Hall (if you have regular tickets) or Bureau Passeport Annuel (if you have a yearpass).

There are toilets for people with disabilities at (almost) every toiletlocation. No special card or key is required for those.

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: norhel on March 18, 2015, 12:56:39 PM
Quote from: twentythingamabobs on March 18, 2015, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: twentythingamabobs on January 21, 2015, 11:16:56 AM
Hello everyone, got yet another question. I hope we are not alone in our issue and someone can offer a suggestion!

We travel as a group of 4 (3 adults and a 14yr old lad who is disabled). 2 adults and the child have Dreams Annual Passes, the lad has an annual EAC as well. With the Dreams pass, the lad gets a free carer ticket. Each day we have to queue up at the disability office to get the carer ticket. As the window does not open until 0930, this makes us miss most, if not all, of EMH. Last summer, the CM at the disability window printed us a 3 day carer ticket which meant we could use EMH. However, that is the one and only time we have been allowed to do this as we do not stay at a Disneyland Hotel. I don't think its fair that we have to miss EMH every day - especially on our last day when we have to leave for the airport at 1130 so only get an hour and a half in the park whereas we could have been there a couple of hours earlier.

Any help or info for people at DLP to get in touch with would be greatly appreciated x

Just re-submitting this in the hope someone can help or give me an email address/phone number to query this. Thanks lovlies :) xx

Try to contact them here:
https://my-disneyland.disneylandparis.co.uk/contact-us.html

I've had a response from the above contact form - they said they cannot help me and I just have to go the Disability Guest Window at DLP. Oh joy!!

friday's girl

Just back from a most wonderful trip with my learning disabled young friend who had her 26th birthday whilst there. She was made to feel very, very special all week (of course this may have help by the fact she told everyone she saw that it was her birthday!)

Anyway, just a few hints if you are going shortly that might help.

1. Make sure your letter from GP, if taking one, clearly states full diagnosis. It seems to depend on cast member in City Hall, but they can be a bit picky if not enough details. I had to stand my ground to get a full green pass instead of orange one. If only her disability was a temporary one...

2. They are currently giving reservation tickets for the Princess Pavilion and form what I can see there are only approximately 25-30 tickets for disabled visitors. You have to queue pretty early for tickets that are distributed at 10.30am in a separate queue from the general reservation line. Trying to make sure that no one pushed in front of me whilst keeping an eye on friend, who has a tendency to wander off when something catches her eye, was a bit of a nuisance but we got that last reservation for a princess (Snow White) on her birthday so all was well.

3. At some of the rides, and Meet & Greets, return passes are being handed out. I didn't have any problems asking for a later time for the Thumper and Miss Bunny M&G when the one I was offered clashed with our Minnie one.

4. There was no disabled area for Stars and Cars on Wednesday or Friday (although I understand there was definitely one on Tuesday). On Friday this led to a rather pushy Spanish mother shove a very tiny tot onto the ground next to me just to get her own daughter to the front. In the process she knocked my walking stick so I lost my balance but luckily the chap next to me stopped me from falling. Even with the tot crying and people making sure I was OK she tried to pretend it had nothing to do with her. Luckily there were a group of several British/Irish families who had all been waiting & chatting together at the rope line for a while, so she was 'politely' made to move.

4. Although officially only one 'helper' is allowed into the Dreams and Parade reserved areas, if other family members wait just outside they will be brought into the reserved area if it isn't full just before the parade/Dreams.

Hope this has been useful and I'll pop back with anything else I remember.

nathalie

About the Stars and Cars thing, when I was there 2 weeks ago, there actually was an area, but no dissabled person using it (my friend was standing front row, so I just joined behind her as there was still room enough, so I didn't need the special area), by the time the characters came, still no one was there, and they removed the roped that ropes of the special area.  So could be they do it sometimes for that reason?

It's hard to let them decide what is wrong with you, even though you have doctor's papers, because, are they doctors?  I don't think so.
I'm denied a green card every single time, because my dissability is only temporary, but it hasn't changed in the past 3 years.
I'm not even getting the orange one for the period of my Dream, because of that reason.

friday's girl

I spoke to a cast member about no disabled area for Stars and Cars and was told they had insufficient cast members to man the area. Because we had been disappointed on the Wednesday we made sure we were there well before 12 noon on Friday. The same cast member came and apologised for the lack of dedicated area on the Friday - just one of those things.
With regard to the green card, her chromosomal syndrome (similar to Down's) was noted but because it is fairly rare I think the cast member didn't understand it's significance. I actually google in French on my phone for her to understand! I'm not complaining, just wanted others to be aware that of they don't have a more common disability that more than a generic letter is needed.
I am grateful for all the preferential treatment she got the rest of the time we were there and know that others don't get access cards they deserve - as one who has a 'temporary' condition of over five years standing (hence my walking stick) I know how long those queues are.

Siobhan82

Hi getting a bit confused reading all of this. My lg has no formal diagnosis she is classed as having globel developmental delay pead say she is on average the age of. 3-4 year old she is 8 but she also has problems with her mobility we are bringing her maclaren major buggy officially a wheel chair but looks like a buggy. Anyway just wondering what exactly I need to bring with me as her doc can't obviously put a diagnosis as she does not have one. We have a blue parking badge.

Sorry if I have waffled on

friday's girl

Apologies if my hasty post confused things, Siobhan. If your special one has a disabled car badge this should be sufficient for you to get a green access card without a problem. It's only a doctor's letter that may need to be more specific.

I actually emailed Disney to ask advice about what the letter should contain if we were to return in the future and the reply stated that if the diagnosis is not common terminology, it would help if the doctor's letter stated the condition was permanent and what limitations it may present on the person, by which I assume if the person can't stand for long periods, has sight problems, have a problem with comprehending the need to queue, etc.

littlebitofpixiedust

Hi all!
2 questions...

After all our many, many visits and my son becoming heavier ect I often wonder if Disney will be all it means to us now in the future (if that makes sense lol!) I worry my son won't access some attractions in the future? I transfer him from wheelchair to ride now he's 6 but is totally reliant in wheelchair, he can't walk or stand. I'm aware some rides are wheelchair accessible, small world/buzz lazer blast and magic carpets surprisingly! But not sure if there are others for now, normally lift him on but being a single mum I'm doing all the lifting and is not easy. It would break my heart if later on he'd miss his favourite attractions because of his disability! Chessington they have stopped him going on the bubble network ride  :(

In two weeks we are of yay! HNY 4nights very excited. Of course will have my sons access pass for smaller rides ect, but my friend is bringing her aunt who has global delay and learning problems. Physically fine but needs support for example she lives in assisted livings accommodation ect. She asked doc for letter outling her disability but it just says a learning disability and they can contact the surgery for any more info oh and she must be with companions/carers at all times. She does recieve DLA and is taking along other paperwork with more detail about her disabilities but seriously her doctor was paid to do this letter and I don't even know if its enough? She doesn't have blue badge she can't drive. She has never been DLP and is so excited bless her! She loves theme parks we took her to chessington last year she loved the rides and she's got her heart set in going on tower of terror!

trip2themoon

After some advice - we're going to DLP for the first time on a family break next week.  My wife has had a knee replacement and has arthritis and struggles to walk far or stand for long periods.  She does have a blue badge, a letter (not in the last 3 months) stating her condition, which won't get any better.  Would these be accepted? What do the access passes allow you to do? We went to Alton towers earlier this year and they pretty much let our group on the rides with a maximum of 5 minutes of queuing, is it similar to this, or do the rest of the group have to queue?

Any help appreciated!

nathalie

The letter must not be older then 3 months (from what I understand from your post, it is?)

Depends on what color card you get.
If it's the green one, they mostly hand out time slots I've noticed.
If it's the orange one, you are allowed almost immidiatly on the ride through the exit. (and only 1 extra person can accompany her)

twentythingamabobs

I don't know if it's because ours is an AP disability pass but ours is green and we enter via the exits for each ride. There are 4 of us and we are always allowed on together. Only 1 other person is allowed in the disabled area for Dreams/Parades but if you get a nice CM they let you stay together :)

polar vixen

we always get a green pass for our son which allows our whole family to ride together. It always seems strange to me that a letter has to be dated within three months if it's a long term or life long disability, but that's what the guidelines say.  All we've done is ask our doctor for a print off of our sons medical records which is then dated and includes any long standing issues.  (it says us having to pay for an official letter.  Unless you have anyone involved in your daughters care - speech therapist/paediatrician etc who would be willing to write you a letter?

NCC1701Q

As far as I know it's like this:
- the red cards are Easy Access Cards and are meant for temporary illnesses or pregnancies. They allow only one "helper" and are not valid for the specially designated spaces at parades but are valid for the designated area at Disney Dreams!
- the green cards are Disability Priority Cards and are meant for permanent disabilities. They allow up to a maximum of 4 "helpers" for attractions and one "helper" at parades or Disney Dreams! (sometimes CMs let the other members of the group wait at the entrance of the special area and if it's not busy, they can also get in just a few minutes before the parade or show starts.

At attractions they all work the same: you enter via the exit and when the CM tells you to get in the attraction, you get in. The only attractions where you have to wait before even entering are Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours. At Buzz a CM comes around every 5 or 10 minutes and "picks up" a couple or EAC/DPC-holders and at Star Tours you have to wait for a CM to walk with you. Sometimes you have to wait five minutes, sometimes (e.g. at Studio Tram Tours) there are limited seats for people with EAC/DPC.

At meet-and-greets/photo-ops you usually get a little piece of paper with a return time. There are limited time-slots available (like with Thumper and Miss Bunny there were only five of these slots available in the afternoon session). But when it's not that busy or there are no time-slots taken, you sometimes get a slot that's only three minutes later (like our family did in May - we asked for a time-slot for a photo-op with Woody at 10:57am and got the 11:00am-slot. That was a pleasant surprise!)

A lot of the EAC/DPC-"experience" depends on the CM. Some are more willing to accomodate you than others. But mostly they are very friendly and helpful. At Phanton Manor for instance the CM always asks whether he/she has to slow down or even stop the Doom Buggies.

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: NCC1701Q on May 20, 2015, 12:14:11 PM
- the red cards are Easy Access Cards and are meant for temporary illnesses or pregnancies. They allow only one "helper" and are not valid for the specially designated spaces at parades but are valid for the designated area at Disney Dreams!

When we were there in April, my friend got a pregnancy pass and was not allowed in the designated area for Dreams :( We had got the pass specifically so we would ensure we could all go in the area together in case we got a CM who would not allow the 4 of us in on my brother's green pass. Turned out to be a waste of time.We had an almost militant CM - he sat on his knees with his torch on the entire time scanning the people around the rope watching for people coming anywhere near it.