Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonloo

Friday's girl, from what I understand, you just need to go with her to the City Hall (I think that's right), take her DLA or PIP or what ever letter, or diagnosis letter and they will give her a card. With that you can enter rides through the exit and you can do the same at the Princess Pavillion! Apparently if you get the Cast members attention at character meet and greets and show your card, they will let a few people through and then let the character come to you. That is the gist of what I have read on this thread but everyone else Im sure will pitch in if Im wrong!

NCC1701Q

Hi there,

maybe I can give some additional information, having used an EAC or DPC for some years now.
If you do not have an annual pass you get the EAC/DPC at City Hall. Annual passholders need to get their card at the Bureau Passeport Annuel.
What happens at character intervention is dependent on the location and how busy it is. For instance, we had a meet with Rapunzel and Minnie where indeed we showed the card, and then only had to wait for a couple of minutes before it was our turn.
The "meet Mickey"-pavillion even has a special entrance (at the right side - you have to ring the bell) where a cast members comes and opens the door for you. Inside you wait for a couple of minutes and then it's your turn.

When it's busier there are several options. Last Christmas we got a card like a fastpass for the Mickey and Minnie-greet to come back three hours later. There were only a limited number of these cards and when they were all given out, people with EAC/DPC had to come back the next day or just wait their turn in the "regular" line. The same method was used for the Anna and Elsa-greet in the Princess Pavillion.

Lastly for Stars 'n' Cars: last summer there was a special section like the sections for the parade - you had to show your EAC/DPC to get into that section. In november and during Christmas and last february the section was gone: everyone just had to find a spot around the circle.

moonloo

Soooooo, our paed has written us a letter stating that LB suffers with ASD SPD and anxieties and requesting any accomodations available as he is unable to wait in line or be around noisy crowds too much (wish us luck)! So I know he will get some kind of pass. We are going as a family of four with myself, hubby and LB and LG. Are we all covered by the pass, eg will we all get to queue at the rides together?

Thank you!

NCC1701Q

Hi Moonloo,

with a "permanent disability" you should get a Priority Disability Card (PDC), which is valid for up to four people for attractions. For the parade and Disney Dreams there might be fewer people allowed (there are two stamps on the card, one for attractions and one for parade/Dreams).
The CM might decide that for parade and Dreams your husband and one child (LG) could wait in the regular areas. I have been using/asking/getting EAC/DPC's for some years now and if there is one thing that I know for sure, it is that nothing is for sure with regards as to how CM's interpret letters regarding medical conditions.
I hope all goes well and you get a card that gives you the best Disney experience possible!

moonloo

NCC1701Q that is really helpful thank you! Previously we have waited an hour for Dreams and it was manageable for us as long as we allowed LB to count in seconds until it started... Every time the announcement comes on that Dreams will begin in 1 hour and so on, he would start again "1 hour is 3600 seconds, 3600, 3599" etc etc quite loudly!!! Now I can tune that out frankly since it is constant at home, but there were more than a few huffs and puffs about it from the people around us!!! Im more than happy to do it again if it means we could be together and if the people around us dont like it they can move I guess!!!

We will have an amazing time regardless, it really is just about us spending a whole week away from school and work and all of that stuff... just to let the children feel what it's like to let everything go for a week and just have fun!!

Thank you for your help! (and if anyone hears the counting... come say hi!!!)  :P

friday's girl

Thank you for the replies to my query - sorry about the delay in replying. When you spend all day on a computer it is sometimes hard to fire up the laptop when you get home in the evenings.
Only 9 days to departure, 7 days to the reveal - I can't wait.

Farailde

I went to Disneyland this Friday in a wheelchair. I got the Disability Priority Card without any problem (I had a letter from my doctor and a disability certificate). All CM's were very kind and helpful! I had the most magical day!! I'm so thankful Disneyland makes these efforts for persons with disabilities.

moonloo

Good to hear farailde, glad you had a magical day!

essexmum

I've rad through all of this and haven't seen anyone mention deafness as a disability.   My daughter has mild to moderate hearing loss and wears hearing aids in both ears.  She doesn't need to queue jump as she's quite capable of waiting in line with everyone else.  My worry is her being able to hear the parades/shows etc if standing in the middle of a crowd rather than being at the front where she can see.  Hearing aids amplify every sound not just the sound she wants to hear, so if she's in the middle of a noisy chatty crowd, that noise will be very loud for her and drown out the music/sound of the parades and shows, unless they have hearing loop systems in place - doubtful,for the parades and dreams as its outside.   

She's not registered disabled as she's not 'deaf enough' (what does that even mean?), and we're going in two weeks time so I doubt I'll get a Drs appointment in time now.  I do have a letter from the school hearing team which details her hearing loss but not really the issues it causes.   Would this suffice?

Like I say, she doesn't require an easy access pass for the rides, its really for the shows and parades.   

Any help/advice/tips appreciated.

NCC1701Q

Hi essexmum,

Cast members have become increasingly strict as it comes to EAC/DPC. There are, according to all leaflets and the official website, two ways to get one:
- show a disabled parking pass or card (like the ones you put behind your windscreen when you park in a handicapped parking spot);
- a french or english letter, written and signed by your doctor in the last three months, stating the disability/handicap.

The CM then decides if and if so what kind of card you get. On the back of the PDC there are a number of icons stating the kind of disability. I just checked my copy and there is an icon for "déficience auditive", so they do issue them for deafness. Maybe you can write the letter and have the doctor just sign and stamp it?

I had the same problem last month when renewing my annual pass: since I did not roll into the Bureau Passeport Annuel in a wheelchair (with a bit of morfine and not having to stand for a couple of minutes at a time I can still manage without one) I had to sit there for over an hour while the CM discussed my letter. She literally told me "I just don't understand why you are not in a wheelchair - then I would have given you the card right away".

I hope you can get the letter and then get a card so your daughter can enjoy DLP as much as possible!

nathalie

Not to be rude, but most CM's there are a bit blunt.  They (like many people) don't understand even half of the dissabilities a person can have, so it's hard leaving "your life" in their hands while they know nothing about it.

I've gotten the orange card about 9 times now in the past 2 years without any problems, 3 days ago they suddenly made a huge deal out of it, that next time I wasn't going to get it anymore (so then why did they gave it to me now?  If the policy had changed, don't stretch the rules then, and just don't give it to me in the first place).
I explained that on my last 2 trips I ended up in the first aid with panic attacks, and if it weren't for the card, I couldn't proove something was actually wrong with me.

The CM then suddenly changed his story to "oh, you might get the green card then next time you visit".
I told him, I don't need a green one, I know those are for people in wheelchairs and severe illness-issues.

But, what is it then?  First you tell me it's the last time I'm going to get one, and then suddenly I get a green one next time I visit?

moonloo

Oh Nathalie that isn't very nice for you! I hope that next time you are lucky and get somnebody a little more understanding! I am quite nervous about it, we will be there next week and I just hope they dont go asking too much, it's all written in the letter from the paediatrician and I'dd hate to have to stand next to My LB and list all of the problems he has, we would rather focus on all of the brilliant things he CAN do!

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on January 21, 2015, 11:16:56 AM
Hello everyone, got yet another question. I hope we are not alone in our issue and someone can offer a suggestion!

We travel as a group of 4 (3 adults and a 14yr old lad who is disabled). 2 adults and the child have Dreams Annual Passes, the lad has an annual EAC as well. With the Dreams pass, the lad gets a free carer ticket. Each day we have to queue up at the disability office to get the carer ticket. As the window does not open until 0930, this makes us miss most, if not all, of EMH. Last summer, the CM at the disability window printed us a 3 day carer ticket which meant we could use EMH. However, that is the one and only time we have been allowed to do this as we do not stay at a Disneyland Hotel. I don't think its fair that we have to miss EMH every day - especially on our last day when we have to leave for the airport at 1130 so only get an hour and a half in the park whereas we could have been there a couple of hours earlier.

Any help or info for people at DLP to get in touch with would be greatly appreciated x

Just re-submitting this in the hope someone can help or give me an email address/phone number to query this. Thanks lovlies :) xx

norhel

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on March 18, 2015, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: twentythingamabobs on January 21, 2015, 11:16:56 AM
Hello everyone, got yet another question. I hope we are not alone in our issue and someone can offer a suggestion!

We travel as a group of 4 (3 adults and a 14yr old lad who is disabled). 2 adults and the child have Dreams Annual Passes, the lad has an annual EAC as well. With the Dreams pass, the lad gets a free carer ticket. Each day we have to queue up at the disability office to get the carer ticket. As the window does not open until 0930, this makes us miss most, if not all, of EMH. Last summer, the CM at the disability window printed us a 3 day carer ticket which meant we could use EMH. However, that is the one and only time we have been allowed to do this as we do not stay at a Disneyland Hotel. I don't think its fair that we have to miss EMH every day - especially on our last day when we have to leave for the airport at 1130 so only get an hour and a half in the park whereas we could have been there a couple of hours earlier.

Any help or info for people at DLP to get in touch with would be greatly appreciated x

Just re-submitting this in the hope someone can help or give me an email address/phone number to query this. Thanks lovlies :) xx

Try to contact them here:
https://my-disneyland.disneylandparis.co.uk/contact-us.html
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

twentythingamabobs

Thank you norhel, I have sent the form off now! Hope we can get this sorted as I dont think we should be penalised just because we choose not to stay at a DL hotel.