Brad Bird to direct live-action '1906' film

Started by Anthony, March 16, 2008, 12:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Brad Bird to direct live-action '1906' film for Disney/Pixar and Warner Bros.

Pixar's Brad Bird will direct the live-action film, 1906 for Disney/Pixar and Warner Bros. according to The Hollywood Reporter:

QuoteThe story centers on a college student who begins to investigate the murder of his father, uncovering a web of deceit that has left the city vulnerable to the sort of fire that breaks out when the Great Earthquake of 1906 hits San Francisco.

Bird is rewriting the original John Logan script.

Paula Weinstein is producing the feature, while John Walker, Bird's producing partner, executive produces. Disney/Pixar will co-finance the movie.
You can read the rest of the article at this link.

Though Warner Bros. was the same studio that produced Bird's highly-acclaimed, but under-publicized animated feature, The Iron Giant, and animation fans criticized the lack of promotion, It's been rumored that the studio has been trying to make up for their mistake with a new DVD release of the film a few years ago and continuing to foster good relations with Bird.

Fans waiting for a sequel to Bird's action-adventure superhero film, The Incredibles shouldn't be too worried about his involvement in 1906. It's likely that the sequel could still happen whether he hands the directorial reins over for Bob Parr's next chapter to another talented Pixar storyteller or picks up the action helm again after 1906.

Source: Luxo blog.

- - - - -

So, I'd imagine Pixar are supplying the CGI effects or something? It's a big move to go from an Animation Studios to a live-action film producer. You could say they're doing a "Walt Disney". Pixarland and then John Lasseter World Resort in Florida should be here before too long! :wink: I hope their animation doesn't suffer.

peep

I was reading about this at the end of last week. I think it will be interesting, would prefer Incredibles 2 first but there we go, at least it sounds like it will be happening.

I don't see why it would effect the animation that Pixar produces because they have a film a year at the moment and they have a huge amount of peeps working for them now so they can cope with the workload.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Malin

Brad Bird is a very talented writer and Director. His work on the Iron Giant, Incredibles and Ratatouille says it all about this man's talent. I'm happy to see Pixar getting into live action movies and I look forward to seeing if Brad Bird can pull it off.