[DLR] it's a small world - Disney characters layover?

Started by Kristof, February 27, 2008, 03:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Well as you know, Hong Kong Disneyland will get a brand new it's a small world with a few Disney characters blended in the scenes.  
Now as expected, the first rumours are popping up about another park getting this characters tie-in.  All Lutz broke the news this week about a Californian-upgrade:

QuoteBut it now appears that the inside of the attraction will be quite different from the original 1964 version that has hosted tens of millions of Disneyland over the years. Imagineers have recently been inside the ride placing temporary cutouts of Disney characters in scenes along the flume trying to determine where those characters would look the best in each scene.

The concept of adding Disney characters to it's a small world was first introduced as a way to make the attraction more interesting to contemporary Chinese audiences at the Hong Kong Disneyland version of the boat ride that opens later this year. A cartoonish version of Peter Pan will fly around Big Ben in the United Kingdom scene, Lilo and Stitch will surf through the Polynesian scene, Simba will take up residence with the rest of the wildlife in the African room, etc. After that concept was approved for Hong Kong and the Disney figures created to sit alongside the traditional dolls and animals, attention has now turned to the original version of the ride in Anaheim.

Even though it's a small world has remained one of Disneyland's most popular attractions for decades, and still pulls in over 2,000 riders per hour on busy days, Imagineering has received Ed Grier's blessing to "plus up" the old attraction by adding Disney Characters throughout the original 1964 show scenes. It should be interesting to see how Disneyland's PR department spins that one, especially when the Disney purists catch wind of it.

From what I've heard, the riots on micechat have already started...  :lol:

Source

Remco K.

Quote from: "raptor1982"From what I've heard, the riots on micechat have already started...  :lol:
On WDW Magic as well... Personally, I don't mind having a few Disney characters in It's a Small World. As long as they keep it subtle and well executed I don't see the problem here.

Now, if they started adding Stitch to Pirates of the Caribbean, that would be really weird. :lol:

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"From what I've heard, the riots on micechat have already started...  :lol:
Get the water cannons!

It wouldn't bother me too much either. I think if Walt and friends had the kind of massive, multi-theme back catalogue that Disney has today (like Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, Lion King), they'd have put Disney characters throughout the World's Fair version too.

(Off topic-- I'm not sure what the queues are like at the other parks, but Paris' could do with attracting a lot more people than it does to take the strain from elsewhere. I'd rather this happen than the Pirates overlay, since that feels much more corporate and is already a more popular ride.)

Just so long as the song never changes. :wink:

Owain

Talking about the california version having an update, i read the other day there boats have been leaking water in ! And other things that were bad about this attraction at DLR.

The Butlin Boy

I wouldn't mind it either, from concept art for Hong Kong, all of the characters seem to have been slightly re-designed to look like the dolls anyway, so they won't exactly stick out badly. It'd also be quite cool seeing an IASW version of Mickey conducting the final scene of the ride :wink:

Masamune

:lol: I hate that ride, so Disney characters would only make it better for me.

:roll: I only ever go on it because my mum likes it.

Remco K.

Quote from: "Owain"Talking about the california version having an update, i read the other day there boats have been leaking water in !
According to numerous sources, the boats were having trouble with overweighted guests. It seemed like people have become more heavy these days.

You can also read about this on //http://calorielab.com/news/2007/10/29/small-world-ride-revamped-for-bigger-passengers/

There's an update on this page (from the 3rd of November 2007) about a Disney spokesman claiming the issues with It's a Small World were not caused by overweighted guests.

QuoteA Disney spokesman has acknowledged the ride's refurbishment but denied any obesity connection, according to the New York Times. Decades of fiberglas patching and repairs of It's a Small World have built up the bottom of its flume at several stress points, making it shallower than when originally constructed, said the spokesman. The Los Angeles Times got the same response from Disney. However, the New York Times points out that heavier passengers may have brought this problem to a head sooner than it otherwise would have been.

DisneyBud

Does anyone know where there might be pictures of the concept art for HK or photos of the actual ride?

Edit: My bad, just found the other thread! Will teach me not to look before asking.

Owain

This photo is from 11feb;

Photo : HKDLSource

This version looks great !

Remco K.

Kevin L. Blair, son of Mary Blair has written a letter in name of the Blair family to the Walt Disney Company. You can read the letter on the Re-Imagineering blog.

A little excerpt from the letter:
QuoteWhile I fully understand and support the upgrade to the boats as a necessary safety upgrade, the addition of the Disney Characters and the "Up with America" section I do NOT support as it represents a gross desecration of the ride's original theme and my Mother's stylized artwork.
I expect the Disney Company to take this letter serious, but will they also decide to give up the changes to "It's a Small World"? I wonder...

DisneyParksFan

They are wanting to replace the Rainforest scene with an 'Up with America' section!

There is no need for such a scene. The one Indian and one cowboy at the end of the attraction was enough! The ride is about the rest of the world and its unity.
PLUS, the concept art released looks nothing like the rest of "its a small world."
This is such a new low level for WDI  :(

Visit //http://www.imagineerebirth.blogspot.com for more info on what is at hand and at stake!

Malin

I don't agree with the people on MiceChat here, and I'm siding with WDI on this. But I suspect with all the bad negative publicity this has caused, Disney will scrap plans to change scenes and add new characters. And the diehards on MiceChat will get there own way.

Anthony

Quote from: "Malin"I don't agree with the people on MiceChat here, and I'm siding with WDI on this. But I suspect with all the bad negative publicity this has caused, Disney will scrap plans to change scenes and add new characters. And the diehards on MiceChat will get there own way.
Granted it didn't have a letter from such an important person's family, but this kind of negative talk didn't stop them with Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer. And is anyone still crying over that? Seems like DLR has one of these events every year now.

As for the complaints from Mary Blair's family, I can understand their concern, but we are only talking about adding a couple of extra dolls in, not pulling down her fabulous façade. No one can know what she'd think. She might have even been happy that the new characters mean more people will take a ride and get to see her wonderful work.

Mulan, Ariel, Mowgli and Alice in Wonderland would fit nicely, and they're all children of the world.

I wouldn't see the point in adding, say, Peter Pan to the UK scene outside of Hong Kong, where there's already Peter Pan's Flight. And they could probably do without ripping out the rainforest to build this "Up with America" section... oh the irony.

Malin

Quote from: "Baloo"
Quote from: "Malin"I don't agree with the people on MiceChat here, and I'm siding with WDI on this. But I suspect with all the bad negative publicity this has caused, Disney will scrap plans to change scenes and add new characters. And the diehards on MiceChat will get there own way.
Granted it didn't have a letter from such an important person's family, but this kind of negative talk didn't stop them with Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer. And is anyone still crying over that? Seems like DLR has one of these events every year now.

As for the complaints from Mary Blair's family, I can understand their concern, but we are only talking about adding a couple of extra dolls in, not pulling down her fabulous façade. No one can know what she'd think. She might have even been happy that the new characters mean more people will take a ride and get to see her wonderful work.

This is one of the reasons why I'm starting to distance myself from that website, and post more on here. Some Members are way against the changes, but I bet you now the day of opening all those members will be at the park with there camera's.

If I was WDI, I would invite the Blair family around to explain and show them in person the changes. I wonder if this update was coming to DLRP we would all be making such a big song and dance about it.

Riebi

It´s always hard for fans to get such changes. But we shouldn´t forget that also walt himself was a business man. He change the name of Disneyland Castle from Snow whites to sleeping beauty cause of better marketing.
On the other site IASW seems to have a big fan comunity and why give money to something what´s running.
I was first very disapointed about the changes at IASW. But I must say after seeing first pics WDI seems to be very carefully to keep the puppet design. Only the stitch looks a bit silly  :lol:  Maybe cause I don´t like that they have just the idea around the world that stitch take controll of everything.
And I don´t think that the changes swap to us here. An 'Up with America' section at paris???? No way  :lol:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...