pin trading for a beginner?

Started by Clarebelle, January 28, 2008, 01:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarebelle

can anyone give me any tips on starting pin trading?
which ones are the best pins to buy?
which are rare?
how do you "trade"?
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Alpop

A load of good questions here.

It depends what your collecting for. As in are you a stitch fan? or princesses. Rides, Hotels.

When I started about 5 years ago. I bought like crazy via ebay, but got carried away. I started with the pokemon theory of "gotta get them all". I bit off more than I could chew.

I have found that the Limited Edition ones are quite hard to find in the Theme parks.

I also bought a book witch had all the pins released listed,each pin was rated in terms of value A - E.

So my advice would be focus on a colletcion. Rides or attractions may be fun.

*************Added

In ebay I typed in "Disney Pin", "Disney Pins" and also the same but spelt Dinsey!

Clarebelle

thanks for the reply!

QuoteI also bought a book witch had all the pins released listed,each pin was rated in terms of value A - E

any ideas where i could find this book? is it available in Disneyland?

thanks for the advice

Alpop

http://www.secure.figures.com/tomart/ca ... cts_id=519
there a link to the latest version of teh book I'm referring to.

BUT

If you after a good read I think there is only about 70 words in it, it's mainly photos and values.

Clarebelle

thank you

Masamune

http://www.pinpics.com/

:) This website is really great. They have all available Disney pins on that site, and there's info about each one. Using the search function, you can search for pins featuring characters that you like. :P For example, before I go to WDW this April, I'll be looking up WDW Cheshire Cat pins.

:o My tips for starting Pin Trading are as follows;

1. Get a starter lanyard. They usually include four pins, two of each design, meaning you can trade away two and keep two if you like. The lanyard is what you display your pins on.
2. Buy cheap pins for trading. Everytime I've been to DLRP, there's been pins in the sale for 3 Euros. It's worth buying a bunch of these for trading, rather than buying any at 6 Euros and above.
3. Don't go crazy. :lol: Like Alpop, as soon as I got back from the trip where I started pin trading, I jumped on eBay and started buying all sorts of pins. Now, I only buy pins on eBay that are (a) limited edition and/or (b) featuring one of my all-time fave Disney characters.
4. Only trade for pins you like. There's not much point in trying to trade for pins that you think are rare, or you think will be worth money someday. If you just stick to pins of characters/things you like, you can't go wrong.

:P If I can think of any other tips, I'll add them.

jovada

I have two limited editions on eBay, both from Walt Disney World:
http://search.benl.ebay.be/_W0QQsassZjovada2000
There's only one day left and the current price is still € 1...  If you're interested...

BlueClouds

I'm also thinking about starting pin trading. I was wondering, do you just approach someone in the park and ask if they'd like to trade? or is there only certain places or people you can trade at/with?
Yo ho, Haul together, hoist the colours high
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, Never shall we die!

MinniesBestPal

Quote from: "Alpop"It depends what your collecting for. As in are you a stitch fan? or princesses. Rides, Hotels.

I collect pins! I don't really have a particular choice in them, all I know is, if I like it, I buy it!

I have a limited addition 15th anniversary one! I have a particular fondness for Minnie mouse pins, tinkerbell and WTP pins, but thats just me!

Javey74

Quote from: "MinniesBestPal"
Quote from: "Alpop"It depends what your collecting for. As in are you a stitch fan? or princesses. Rides, Hotels.

I collect pins! I don't really have a particular choice in them, all I know is, if I like it, I buy it!

I have a limited addition 15th anniversary one! I have a particular fondness for Minnie mouse pins, tinkerbell and WTP pins, but thats just me!
Yes, my daughter Jen collects pins. It started with the Princesses, as to be expected with Jen, then onto Minnie, then Mickey.  I added to her collection with Donald Duck, the Park Zones and some of the attractions etc.  Then it sort of got in mixed areas after that.  :lol:   Take a look  :wink:

http://public.fotki.com/DisneyDavid/dis ... -badge-co/

MinniesBestPal

WOW! Thats loads compared to mine!

I have the first and second ones in your collection though!

MinniesBestPal

*gasps* The 64th in your collection is my FAVOURITE! Minnie mouse dressed as tinkerbell! I have that pin! Its my prized possession! Well, when it comes to pins...

I got 73 (princess trio) for christmas! I got 91 (snow white and prince) for christmas 2005, and like I said before, I have the 1st and 2nd in your collection too... You have 107! I only have *counts* 13! Wow... doesn't make me sound like much of a collector!

Javey74

Don't worry MinniesBestPal  :D

It takes time, these took some solid buying over 4 visits out of the 5 times we have been there.  Since the first year we went we hadn't started collecting them, not knowing anything about Pin Trading at all  :)

Disney_Princess

Everything starts from a small seed MinniesBestPal, unfortunatley I haven't caught onto pins, I have 5 Tink ones on my dancing bag (only got them cos I liked them, although I LOVE my pink pirate Tink) and a Pink Jeweled Crown and the word Princess with jewels on for my work pass.
[size=150]Every girl deserves to be a Princess... To be a Disney one makes you extra special[/size]

Javey74

Quote from: "Disney_Princess"Everything starts from a small seed MinniesBestPal, unfortunatley I haven't caught onto pins, I have 5 Tink ones on my dancing bag (only got them cos I liked them, although I LOVE my pink pirate Tink) and a Pink Jeweled Crown and the word Princess with jewels on for my work pass.
Mmm I'd be interested to see a few photies of these if possible.  :)