[DCA] New Entrance Area/Plaza

Started by Anthony, October 19, 2007, 04:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

As part of the DCA $1bn masterplan.

The entrance of Disney's California Adventure will be entirely made-over into an almost unrecognisable 1920s Hollywood/California street. The "modern" styles will be replaced by references to the time when Walt Disney first arrived in the state.

Includes:
    * New Art Deco turnstiles pushed out to the current California letters
    * Pacific Electric Red Cars to Hollywood and Radiator Springs
    * Antique vehicles to Hollywood
    * Carthay Circle Theater with new Walt Disney Story
    * Walt Disney Plaza
    * 1920's Los Angeles architecture throughout

(source: miceage)

Press release quotes

QuoteA new visual icon in the tradition of California's great entertainment palaces will draw guests into the heart of Disney's California Adventure. Inspired by the Carthay Circle Theatre where Walt Disney premiered Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937, this new facility will house a next-generation "Walt Disney Story" featuring an interactive tribute to Walt's California experiences, and his entertainment legacy that continues worldwide today.
QuoteEntry Plaza and Gateway
The totally new gateway to Disney's California Adventure welcomes guests into an immersive world of historic California streets as Walt experienced them as a young artist arriving with big dreams.
A new visual icon in the tradition of Los Angeles, California's great entertainment palaces will draw guests into the heart of the attractions. This new facility, which was inspired by Los Angeles' historic Carthay Circle Theatre that premiered Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937, will house a next generation Walt Disney Story featuring an interactive tribute to Walt's California experiences, and his entertainment legacy that
continues world-wide today. Red Car trolleys reminiscent of the old Pacific Electric Railway will travel up and down the main street.
New dining and shopping experiences and a slate of unique, live entertainment will bring energy to the Walt Disney Plaza.
Expected by 2011

Concept art/models

(thanks to MouseTimes.com)

New Entrance

New shops

Walt Disney Plaza (as Central Plaza)

New Partners Statue (kindof a prequel to DL's) "Walt arrives in California)

Walt Disney Story

Red Car Trollys

Route (from near the park entrance to the front of Tower of Terror!!)

(concepts with thanks to MasterGracey, micechat)

A REAL RED CAR TROLLY!!!  :shock: Damn, having that ride past their ToT is going to make it ever so slightly more special... :(

Dlrpfan

The main gate is very D-MGM-S like but itll be sad to see the golden gate bridge gone :(
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

coruscantpt

yeah I agree.  The golden bridge was great as it is one symbol of california. But the rest of the park will look amazing. And the trolly there will fit very well with the theming and ToT
DLP - July 1994 / March 2002 / August 2007 / December 2010 / 2011 - Anual Passholder \":P\"

WDW - May 2006 / May 2008 / August 2009

Anthony

I always thought the Golden Gate was a nice entrance too, but again I suppose it'd be like having a cheap, miniature Eiffel Tower at the entrance to DLP or WDS... :?

The development... WOW. I think this is my favourite part of the whole DCA project, it's just perfect, perfect, perfect. And it tells such a great story, showing how LA would have been when Walt first arrived. It's a little like our Hollywood placemaking on a massive budget. I can't wait to watch construction here.

And what can I say to RED CAR TROLLYS :shock: Real trolly cars, actually happening, not some blue sky idea like the MGM ones, actually happening!! I can't believe it.

Obligatory WDS comment: For Paris, in the very least, can we have the LA/Hollywood vehicles? They'd add so much to WDS, maybe get Hertz to pay for them? And if the park ever needs a centrepiece beyond Studio Tram Tour, the Carthay Circle Theater photocopied would do fine. 8)

Dlrpfan

If there is going to be a Walt Disney Story in DCA rather then DLC would this either mean that the Disneyland the first 50 will stay in the opra house Or will Great Moments with Mr lincon stay there with no Walt Disney Story?
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

alka1

thread bump! Some additional concept art and models for Buena Vista Street:

the Carthay Circle Theater peeking behind the trees

And these belong to Insights And Sounds Blog

Concept art for the upcoming Hollywood Land and Red Car Trolleys

This model in particular shows the brick that is being added to the tracks

The trolleys running through Hollywood Pictures Backlot, soon to be Hollywood Land, brick isn't shown here

alka1

The work for the Red Car Trolley tracks that has been completed so far (hollywood blvd)

current construction for the tracks now extends to the Tower of Terror entrance