When to book for November Trip

Started by hmd1987, August 10, 2017, 10:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmd1987

Hello everyone

I have 3 year old twins, who are disney mad. Thinking about suprising them with a trip to DLP just after my wifes birthday in November. Thinking about going sunday 26th/monday 27th until Thursday 30th November. Want to make it as cheap as possible.

Santa fe is coming up at £430 for the four of us for 4 nights. No meals included.....Does anyone think that when the new offer comes out, that I might get a better deal? I'm worried about waiting for a % off deal, to then find out it is more expensive...Flights are looking at approx £300 for us, and then with food/spending we are probably looking at £1k  :o

claire2281

The next offer is normally a percent off (about 20%) and free half board but it may not be out until October so depends how long you want to wait.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

hmd1987

hmm i'm not sure, October would be really close to visiting but at the same time the 20% off and free half board sounds really tempting. Especially as I'm thinking of adding a meal plan onto the booking anyway

hmd1987

£832 for 4 nights in santa fe, and half board 'standard' meal plan....At that price, it is really tempting to see if the new offer would make it cheaper

dlpowl

The 'up to 2 nights and days free' offer is on until October 2nd for arrival between 1st November 2017 - 20th March 2018, so as long as you book before Oct 2nd, you can have this offer.

The free half board and a percentage off should be starting before then but whether or not it will include your dates is hard to say.  My guess would be that it would but until it starts you won't know for sure.

If you want the free half board offer then I'd wait and see because as long as you book before 2nd October you know that you can still have the free days and nights offer anyway, so you haven't lost anything.  Both offers will be on at the same time so you can get a price for both and see what you think.  To give you a guide for food prices, breakfast can range from €6-€20 per person depending on whether you want a croissant and a coffee or whether you want the full shebang or a buffet breakfast.  For lunch and dinner, you're looking at €10-€16 for a counter service fast food type meal, €26 ish for a standard level buffet meal, €40-€60 for a fancier restaurant meal.  Those prices are all per person but as your twins are only 3, they eat for free at the buffet restaurants so they would be a good option.  Hopefully that will help you make a decision about what's best for you.

dlpowl

Also, is the Eurostar not an option for you?  It's usually cheaper than flying and it's far more convenient as it takes you straight into the Disney resort.  It's a 10 minute walk to the hotel or just jump on the free bus!  Getting from the airport can be expensive in itself, as well as time consuming and a bit of a faff. 

Also, as your twins are 3, you'll be paying for a seat on the aircraft but on the Eurostar, under 4's are free so you'd only be paying for 2 adults.  2 Eurostar tickets versus 4 airline tickets, this should be much cheaper.  And as I say, the Eurostar is sooo convenient.  We drive because there's 5 of us now but we used to use the Eurostar.

hmd1987

thankyou - you make a really good point. There is zero point me booking until 2nd October when hopefully the new deal is out, so I can compare. (and save up!).

We live in Lancashire, so the eurostar wouldn't be much cheaper. I've checked flights from liverpool, manchester and leeds, the latter being the cheapest with reasonable flight times

claire2281

dlpbowl is right - keep an eye on the website (or sign up for the emails) as the percent off deal may be out as early as the end of August or it may not appear until October. These things are never an exact science and we can but guess based upon previous years.

When you're factoring in the costs of flying make sure you factor in the cost of transfers to DLP from the airport. Magic Shuttle (which people commonly use) will cost you 23 euros per adult, per journey so will add 92 euros (about £85) to your travel costs.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

hmd1987

price at the mo:

park and park tickets £464
half board meal plan £368
airport transfer on the magic buses £104

there were some booking fees etc, which brought the total to £957.08. Then just flights ontop of £300 (found separately via jet2.com)

dlpowl

Quote from: hmd1987 on August 10, 2017, 02:42:01 PM
price at the mo:

park and park tickets £464
half board meal plan £368
airport transfer on the magic buses £104

there were some booking fees etc, which brought the total to £957.08. Then just flights ontop of £300 (found separately via jet2.com)

That's a lot for 2 adults - your twins don't count in your Disney costs as they're free.   Just to compare, for our last trip we paid £1180 for 7 days 6 nights on the free half board plus % off offer and that was for 2 adults and 2 paying children, only my youngest went free.  And that was Davy Crockett ranch which is more expensive than Santa Fe. (We love Santa Fe but can't stay there now as we have 3 kids!)  That price was everything apart from travel.   I'd definitely hang on for the free half board and see what it comes out at.

dlpowl

Also bear in mind your arrival and how much time it eats into your park time on your first and last day.  A popular option with many, including us, is to actually travel to DLP the day before and stay in one of the super cheap hotels nearby on the first night, such as the BnB.  Then on the first day of your actual Disney holiday you can check into your Disney hotel early morning, refreshed and ready to enjoy a full day in the park.   Disney is such an expensive holiday that it's such a waste of money to spend a large amount of your first day travelling.  And if you travel really early all you end up with are grumpy children who are too tired to enjoy the first day of their holiday. 

Honestly, my absolute top tip, and the one thing I wish someone had told me when we first went with our toddlers 10 years ago, is to travel the day before.  The extra cost of a cheap hotel room is nothing when you consider the holiday will be costing you about £250 a day.  Paying €50 for a hotel room is giving you the gift of a first full day in the park with well rested children and parents.  My second top tip is to go Mon-Fri.  Avoid weekends like the plague unless you're going for more than 5 days.

hmd1987

Flights are at approx 5pm on the Sunday and Thursday, so we get 3 full days and half of Thursday, think that's more than enough time.
Tempted to book the flights before the prices go up, and will wait to see what the new offer brings.

dlpowl

Quote from: hmd1987 on August 10, 2017, 07:04:19 PM
Flights are at approx 5pm on the Sunday and Thursday, so we get 3 full days and half of Thursday, think that's more than enough time.
Tempted to book the flights before the prices go up, and will wait to see what the new offer brings.

That's my point though.  You're paying for 5 days in Disney but are only getting 3 and a half.  If you travel the day before you'll get an extra full day - a day that you're already paying for so it's a waste.  3.5 days is not enough to see and do most things especially if you want to watch the shows and meet characters.   It's entirely up to you, of course, all I'm doing is offering advice based on my experience of my many trips.  Whatever you decide, have fun!

Lavi

2 nights free out of 4 is in fact 50% off. This offer ends on Octomber 2nd. I would rather choose this offer (in fact I have already chosen it for my trip at the end of November) in order to keep the food money in my pocket until then and spend them exactly where we will feel like eating at the very moment, including places in the village where you cannot use the vouchers.

hmd1987

What are the breakfast options besides hotel buffets? Is there counter service anywhere? Would it work to pack some cereal and uht milk, and eat in the room before hand?

I appreciate all comments, and can see why going the day before would work definitely. But the flights don't match up....Eurostar not an option as we live in lancashire