DLP need to have a rule about whether crowds sit or stand

Started by sunshine1, May 06, 2017, 01:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine1

During the Mickeys 25th anniversary show on the castle show.
Some were standing which caused potential arguments between them and people who.were sitting on the floor behind them.
I asked a CM what the deal was and was told that it is up to people if they want to sit or stand and they cant enforce anything of people.
I dont agree with this as it leads to arguments between guest.
Pick a rule Disneyland Paris: either you make everyone sit on floor to watch the show or people have to stand.
No inbetween.

Slimy yet satisfying

Yes it is annoying when that happens but I don't think it is feasible to dictate one way or the other for many reasons including;

Physical mobility...some cannot sit on the floor perhaps the elderly or the infirm. They also may not be able to stand for longer periods either.

Prams will also need folded down if everyone sits as they could also be seen a view blocking.

The weather..as someone who goes regularly in low season I would not sit as it is usually wet, damp, frosty or just really too cold to sit on concrete. People need to move a little to keep warm.

As someone who is not very tall I get how annoying it is when some 6 footer with a child on their shoulders plonks themselves infront of you just as the music starts but unfortunately  there is little anyone can do.😠

1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

sunshine1

Thats the thing that i found weird at the 25th anniversary show: 85% people were sitting and continued to sit. I have never seen this before.
It was the few people that were standing that were getting beef from the people that were sitting.

petals

We've always stood for castle shows or fireworks. I would say it would not be safe to have guests sit. God forbid if anything went wrong and people have to leave in a hurry that many people trying to get up all at once could not end well.

NCC1701Q

Although I understand your reasoning, I think the disarray will not be much more as from all people standing, trying to get off Central Plaza in a panic.

claire2281

Quote from: petals on May 07, 2017, 03:11:00 AM
We've always stood for castle shows or fireworks. I would say it would not be safe to have guests sit. God forbid if anything went wrong and people have to leave in a hurry that many people trying to get up all at once could not end well.

I don't think it's a safety issue in the slightest since the chance of anything go wrong is so minuscule and sometimes not even a consideration (like with the stage shows). However people sitting do take up much more room which on busy days simply isn't feasible. 
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

amywayne2701

We always stand because I simply can't sit on concrete I find it extremely uncomfortable. I understand it may  not please some people but if disney say it is up to each individual guest I will stay standing, we had this problem last year where a couple behind is were sat and we were stood and the husband started on us so we got a cast member over who confirmed if we wished to stand that was fine. Also it was packed when we went so standing was a lot easier in my opinion.  At the end of the day  when the firework show is on at night  everyone stands and yes sometimes it is hard to see if there is a taller person in front but if that person has been waiting in that spot longer than the person behind then sorry but tough to the person behind should have got there to wait for the show to start earlier and they could have been closer to the front.

Slimy yet satisfying

I think that there cannot be enforcement by CMs either to sit or stand for many reasons so really it is about having a little bit of courtesy to your fellow Disney lovers. Have a look around you and see what others are doing and if appropriate follow suit. Don't be a hog and stand right in front of children or small adults if you are a giant (anyone over 5 foot 4" in my case!) just be polite and think of others and we'll all get along fine.  ;D
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

sunshine1

Quote from: Slimy yet satisfying on May 07, 2017, 08:43:36 PM
I think that there cannot be enforcement by CMs either to sit or stand for many reasons so really it is about having a little bit of courtesy to your fellow Disney lovers. Have a look around you and see what others are doing and if appropriate follow suit. Don't be a hog and stand right in front of children or small adults if you are a giant (anyone over 5 foot 4" in my case!) just be polite and think of others and we'll all get along fine.  ;D

Thats the problem - alot of guests dont have manners/common sense or courtesy - so sometimes they need telling.

A&S&O

In the summer, we sit in front of the castle along with everyone else. Standing for an hour would be terrible. Last year some people tried to stand up, but after many complaints were told by cast members to sit back down.

In the winter it's probably different, especially if the ground is wet.

It's an unwritten rule that is impossible to write.

Maybe they could have roped areas, for standing or for sitting?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

ChipandDale99

Quote from: A&S&O on May 08, 2017, 02:41:33 PM
In the winter it's probably different, especially if the ground is wet

We for the last 9 years have only gone in January and February.
At that time everyone stands up all the time. Probably because it's cold or wet so sitting is just uncomfortable.
I just thought that was the case all the time.

But I agree with others that it cannot be a thing forced on guests. Definitely cannot make it so people have to sit down as already mentioned. Some people can't sit down and get up. Also the buggys would be annoying.
If I was sat down then I'd hope others would too but if they don't I just stand up.
The only thing that really annoys me is when everyone is standing and then someone decides to stand on some 'high ground' wether it be the fountain at plaza gardens or a bench. As a short person it is so annoying.

grovesie

You will never be able to enforce a rue like this as there are too many variables, most of which have already been discussed.

Slightly off the topic but just as annoying to me are the people who arrive 10 minutes before the start and try to push their way to the front. 99% of us get our places as we are prepared to wait come rain or shine.

sunshine1

Quote from: grovesie on May 09, 2017, 08:48:06 AM
You will never be able to enforce a rue like this as there are too many variables, most of which have already been discussed.

Slightly off the topic but just as annoying to me are the people who arrive 10 minutes before the start and try to push their way to the front. 99% of us get our places as we are prepared to wait come rain or shine.

Yes those people are the best.

Saw a couple with a buggy waiting for the parade and i could see what was going to happen: they wasnt aware of people around them. The buggy with the child in it wasnt right at the front of the rope ao 5 mins before the parade started people put their kids in front of the buggy so the child in the buggy had children standing in front of them.

If you want to keep your place at the front you have to be standing/sitting as close to that rope as possible.
You have to be aware the whole time because as soon as you take your eye off the ball people push in.

I took my eye of the ball for a minute or two whilst in line for Alice and Mad Hatter and old guy who was about 4 people behind me ended up standing in front of me.

I werent having that.

Disney25

Hi got back sat and had an amazing time. Parade is at 5.30 and we got our place on Main Street. We set up early when they were putting ropes out and sat on floor. My husband and 5 year old son saved our spaces whilst my 11 yr old daughter and myself used the valuable time in the large shop behind them! We Looked at what we wanted to by in the way of gifts for the family. If you buy before 3pm you can leave your items in the shop and they will deliver them to your hotel free of charge.

sunshine1

Quote from: Disney25 on May 09, 2017, 10:23:48 AM
Hi got back sat and had an amazing time. Parade is at 5.30 and we got our place on Main Street. We set up early when they were putting ropes out and sat on floor. My husband and 5 year old son saved our spaces whilst my 11 yr old daughter and myself used the valuable time in the large shop behind them! We Looked at what we wanted to by in the way of gifts for the family. If you buy before 3pm you can leave your items in the shop and they will deliver them to your hotel free of charge.

What time did you get your place in Main Street?

It always looks as if people start getting their place so early on that part of the parade route.