WDS: Make mine a Marvel expansion

Started by Rocketeer, March 30, 2017, 08:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

[FLASH NEWS] Marvel is coming to Walt Disney Studios Park!
As announced in the document released to shareholders this morning, a plan worth twice that of the PlaceMaking of Disney California Adventure Park a few years ago!
Even though the plan included the renovation of Disneyland Hotel and Disney's Hotel New York.

"The Business Plan foresees investments of €2.1 billion over the next ten years, including the renovation of New York and Disneyland hotels and Marvel attractions in Walt Disney Studios. Average of €210 million is in line with recent investment levels and will enable it to continue efforts to ensure the maintenance of assets after several years of underinvestment and to improve the experience Proposed to visitors. "

via ED92

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Andybear

Bye bye DLP. I have no interest in Star Wars or Marvel and with the high costs I'll be going elsewhere after my visit this year.

Rocketeer

The majority of what's there now is still going to be there. From what I can gather, they're going to add Marvel attractions to WDS.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

claire2281

It's great news. Other people have said major refurbs/upgrades of Phantom Manor and the Tram Tour (finally!) are planned too.

Glad to see they are determined to spend money on the park and adding Marvel to the studios is the perfect fit. Hopefully it'll see the end of Armageddon too!
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

mickey1980

Exciting news!!! Can't wait until they finally reveal the master plan.
Marvel is a perfect fit for the studios. Do people who complain even realize that new additions are coming to a park in desperate need of an extensive overhaul. And that apart for Hong Kong no other Disney Park in the world has Marvel attractions. Meaning unique new things are coming.

Did I already say that this is exciting news?
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

SazrahJay

I'm so happy at the news! I love the Marvel franchise and I'll definitely be visiting!

Ohana

I hate marvel but I'm fine with it as long as they leave that damn tower alone. It's one of my absolute favourites and I don't want them doing what DCA did with their's.
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

PMF

Rocketeer

Quote from: Ohana on March 31, 2017, 12:36:29 AM
I hate marvel but I'm fine with it as long as they leave that damn tower alone. It's one of my absolute favourites and I don't want them doing what DCA did with their's.
That dawned on me as well today. I really hope they leave it well alone. I think I'd go as far as to say that its probably one of the worst ideas for a long time. It even makes Rocket Rods look like a good idea.

I'm sure the attraction inside will be ok, but that exterior... ye gads what were they thinking?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, just remove the flippin' Twighlight branding and theme. The plot can stay the same, or just tweak it a little and move on. No need for turning the hotel into "some gaudy monstrocity" to quote Ocean's Eleven's Reuben Tishkoff.

And before I go too negative, I'll move on...

I wonder if WDS will end up with the Ant-Man attraction that Hong Kong is getting? It always pays to create attractions "in bulk" so to speak.

And, thanks to Google Maps now being 3D for the resort, you can get a better perspective on the post berm expansion areas. There's a plot right behind RnRc which looks like it could house an attraction quite comfortably. (OK, its actually the berm, so a bit of dirt needs moving, but still, its a perfect size).

DisneyManiac

As much as I am love the concept that WDSP is expanding, I still feel saddened that it comes from a brand buyout. It feels lazy, like Disney couldn't come up with any ideas for more rides. Some rides that support this: Moteurs (typical stunt show with an easy to understand plot, even if you are not French speaking), Tower of Terror (granted it is a copy and paste of Cali's former design, however the theming is one of the best in the park and is still one of the most popular rides in WDSP today) and Ratatouille (currently a unique experience, it's not one of the best attractions out there but it still has it's charm).

Now I know coming up with an idea for a new ride is easier said than done, I'm just saying it feels like the easy way out: Using pre-established story.

Rocketeer

Well there's a good chance that some of the new attractions at WDS will be new, and there's a possibility that they will be unique to the park.

However, I know what you mean, they like 99% of new attractions will be IP-based. If memory serves me right, Mystic Manor was the last non-IP attraction. In fact the last three non-IP based attractions have been in the Asian resorts. The last non-IP in Paris would be from WDS' opening day roster. And likewise, the last non-IP in the States would be from DCA's opening. (feel free to correct me!).

It's not that they can't do it, just that the bean counters see IP attractions as a far better return on the investment as they are more likely to attract guests to the park. And let's face it, WDS needs all the help it can get, so utilisiing Marvel is a no-brainer really. They've got something that no other park in Europe will have, and let's hope that they promote the heck out of that fact.

Unfortunatly though, it seems that the days of non-IP attractions are gone. I can't really see them adding anything without characters in either park.

whatsupanders

Quote from: Rocketeer on March 31, 2017, 07:36:55 PM
Quote from: Ohana on March 31, 2017, 12:36:29 AM
I wonder if WDS will end up with the Ant-Man attraction that Hong Kong is getting? It always pays to create attractions "in bulk" so to speak.

More likely something similar to the Avengers attraction, given that the Ant-Man ride is a re-theme of Buzz.

Sulley's Arms

I've changed my viewpoint on Marvel in WDS; I used to say leave it alone! But I now simply have the view that the left side of the Studios (Production Courtyard etc) is a massive waste of space.

* Rock'n'Roller Coaster - I love this ride but so many times the music doesn't work so it's mostly just "Roller Coaster". As such this could be adapted to a Marvel theme quite easily.
* Moteurs Stunt... - Enjoyed the first couple of watches but it's still EXACTLY the same and could now be removed
* Armageddon - Don't even get me started....
* Tram Tour - Really?

I'm good with it if TWDC want to completely transform & expand this part of the park.

Avengers assemble...!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

PMF

Quote from: Rocketeer on March 31, 2017, 09:26:04 PM
the last non-IP in the States would be from DCA's opening. (feel free to correct me!).
Expedition Everest which coincidentally (or not) was the last WDI project greenlit by Michael Eisner.

mickey1980

I'm sure there is still enough support within WDI for non-ip based attractions. For the studios i'm fine with them putting as much IP in there as they can come up with. But for the main park.. Please.. Stop.

You can't beat originality.

Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018