When people say "Paris is crap compared to Florida"

Started by dlpowl, February 03, 2017, 02:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlpowl

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering how my fellow DLP lovers deal with it when people say "Oh Paris is crap compared to Florida."  I have to seriously stop myself from walloping them with my Minnie Mouse handbag!! 

I've been to Florida myself but we only did the Universal parks (no kids at the time so just wanted thrill rides) so I don't know how the Disney parks measure up against the Paris ones.  But the thing is, I don't care!   Obviously there's more parks and they're bigger and yes, they probably are 'better' but why do people have to be so rude?  As a working class family with 3 children, we would need literally thousands of pounds to go to Florida and we just cannot afford it.  We can have 6 Paris holidays for the price of 1 Florida one!

When you say you're going or have been to Paris there seems to be a smugness from some people who have been to Florida who snort derisively at your Paris holidays.  Even my 12 year old said to me once, "Mummy, why do people always try to make out like Florida is so much better and like Paris is rubbish?  Why do they even have to say that?"

So yeah, I'm just having a little moan and hoping I'm not the only one who has experienced this.  And I'd love to know what you say in response, apart from stabbing them with the nearest Disney pin.  :)

polar vixen

Tbh I was insulted by your topic title until I read your thoughts. Yes it really annoys me  too. I love dlp and while florid a may be better I wouldn't know we can't afford to go, but do I really want to spend my time thinking  this is all I can afford....I'll never get the best......I'll go on a second rate holiday or am I going to just enjoy what I can without being resentful?  People who come out with such things certainly are rude

macca1476

Dont like the comparison too much to be honest.

Was in Orlando last year for a fortnight and have spent nearly 3 months in Paris over the last decade. I love both. Both feel like Disney

Orlando is bigger and is spread across four parks. It also has the water parks and great weather. There were some things like the photographers at park entrances and near the castles that weren't in Paris (although seem to be a bit more now). You cant walk from park to park and the car park to park was more of a pain. Disney Springs was also a drive away. Lots more attractions in Orlando, not all worth the trip. Only Expedition Everest and Splash Mountain really remain in my memory as things Paris was missing. Epcot was really cool as well. Star Tours was superior but we will be getting that soon.

Paris though really uses the space well, i love that i can walk from park to park and to Village in minutes. Space Mountain is so much better in Paris and if i am honest i much prefer the atmosphere in Paris to Orlando. There is no real Disney Dreams equivalent in Orlando, although the night time show in Epcot was good.

I'm heading back to Paris three times this year, cant wait to see how the Park is now or how it looks in the summer.

dlpowl

Quote from: polar vixen on February 03, 2017, 02:37:09 PM
Tbh I was insulted by your topic title until I read your thoughts. Yes it really annoys me  too. I love dlp and while florid a may be better I wouldn't know we can't afford to go, but do I really want to spend my time thinking  this is all I can afford....I'll never get the best......I'll go on a second rate holiday or am I going to just enjoy what I can without being resentful?  People who come out with such things certainly are rude

That's how I feel.  If we suddenly came into money then yes, I'd probably take the kids to Florida but mainly for Harry Potter world and the new Star Wars land that's opening soon!  We love Paris and have had many many great times there and made wonderful memories.  I certainly don't view it as second best so I get really annoyed when people try to rain on our parade.  It would be considered rude for someone to say "Oh you drive a Ford?  Well they're crap, get a Mercedes like me" yet people think it's okay to basically slag off your holiday destination, and in front of your kids too!  I don't want them feeling they're getting second best either.  Not that they do for one second, but that's not the point.  Rude rude people.  I just wish I could have some conversation ending one liners ready to shut them up.

I love my Ford car too. Hahaaa!

dlpowl

Quote from: macca1476 on February 03, 2017, 02:49:40 PM
Dont like the comparison too much to be honest.

Was in Orlando last year for a fortnight and have spent nearly 3 months in Paris over the last decade. I love both. Both feel like Disney

Orlando is bigger and is spread across four parks. It also has the water parks and great weather. There were some things like the photographers at park entrances and near the castles that weren't in Paris (although seem to be a bit more now). You cant walk from park to park and the car park to park was more of a pain. Disney Springs was also a drive away. Lots more attractions in Orlando, not all worth the trip. Only Expedition Everest and Splash Mountain really remain in my memory as things Paris was missing. Epcot was really cool as well. Star Tours was superior but we will be getting that soon.

Paris though really uses the space well, i love that i can walk from park to park and to Village in minutes. Space Mountain is so much better in Paris and if i am honest i much prefer the atmosphere in Paris to Orlando. There is no real Disney Dreams equivalent in Orlando, although the night time show in Epcot was good.

I'm heading back to Paris three times this year, cant wait to see how the Park is now or how it looks in the summer.

It's lovely to hear a balanced view and that you can appreciate each Park for its individuality.

NeverNotFun

Love both resorts with all my heart.   ;D

nathalie

The topic title is a bit ... odd I guess.

I went to Disneyland Paris over 20 times already, before I went to WDW in 2014 and went to DLR in 2016.

2 weeks after my DLR trip, I went back to Paris, and to be honest, I didn't like Paris at all anymore.
Having experienced certain things in Anaheim, and then compare those same things to the park in Paris, it simply isn't the same.

The atmosphere, the guests, the cast members, it's all so very different.
Which is mainly cultural, so can't really change that, but we are allowed to pick a favorite :)

Joey123

Been  to dlp 12 times and wife kids and I love it ,could not give a stuff what other people say about it, ;) ;) ;) ;) :) going again i April staying in Newport bay ,can't wait. :)

dlpowl

Quote from: nathalie on February 03, 2017, 06:12:36 PM

I went to Disneyland Paris over 20 times already, before I went to WDW in 2014 and went to DLR in 2016.

2 weeks after my DLR trip, I went back to Paris, and to be honest, I didn't like Paris at all anymore.
Having experienced certain things in Anaheim, and then compare those same things to the park in Paris, it simply isn't the same.

Which is mainly cultural, so can't really change that, but we are allowed to pick a favorite :)

I didn't intend the title to be odd, it was simply what people have said to me.  However I have amended it to be clearer.

Of course people are allowed a favourite, that is everyone's prerogative.  What annoys me is when people basically slag off your holiday and try to spoil it for you.  What bugs me is some of these people haven't even been to Paris.  We can all have an opinion on our favourite Disney stuff but it's unfair to make others feel bad about their choice, especially when there's children involved. 

tubbsy

Honestly? DLPs BTM is WAY better than Floridas. POTC has more drops. DLPs castle is more beautiful. Discovery land is better layed out.
Oh and to just stroll through the village back to your hotel and not have to wait 20 minutes and then travel for 20 minutes on a bus. I missed how close everything was.
Hollywood Studios in WDW felf a bit of a dump tbh.
What WDW does have...
More predictable weather (Quoting Jake from Brooklyn 99 - Americas sweaty butt crack!)
Water parks.
Epcot. But Epcot was an entity all of its own.
Teppan Edo and Be Our Guest restaurants.
Photographers*See my profile pic
And I do wish DLP had Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.
http://wdwprepschool.com/how-sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom-works/
I do keep it to myself, if someone does say it and just say "Disneyland Paris is where my kids grew up and its where my heart is"
And its Florida that makes the whole package, not just WDW.

This is more for those who criticize Dusney as a whole.
"Oh! So you're going on an all inclusive package AGAIN? Sitting by a pool, drinking?  Whilst your children are in a Kids Club being looked after by someone else? Dont you like your children?"

And those who criticise DLP "If you're not willing to fund a WDW holiday for me, then I will happily make family memories in DLP."
Not that I EVER have the nerve to say it!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

bad-pink-tink

well Im kinda one of those people. I go to Disneyland California every year and have been to Disneyland Paris 3 times. To be honest, to me Disneyland Paris is just a substitute Disney. Disney to me has always meant America. I always describe DLP as a Frenchified Disney, an American style theme park with the cultural aspects and behaviour of France / central Europe.

That being said, there are things I like about Disneyland Paris.
In DLP I stay onsite, the Castle is better than California. I like getting the DLP merchandise and pins. I dont loose money on the currency exchange. I like seeing the different versions of Haunted Mansion / Phantom Manor.

In DLP there are far less attractions, rides and entertainment than in Disneyland California. The general upkeep / maintenance / staff levels are all of a lower standard than Disneyland California. I know and understand why, due to the financial situations, and things like Disney not owning DLP wholly as they do in California.

People comment on the behaviour of CM's in DLP compared to the American Parks. To me there are two reasons for this

In California , working at Disney is a way of life, a career, Many CMs have been there for 10, 15 , 20 years or more. Disney is part of the culture of their country. They grow up going to the parks and then work there.  They are just Disney people, and this shows through in their everyday dealings with guests in the park.

In DLP, working at Disney is just a job. Disney is not part of the culture of their country. Many have never been to  America or another Disney Park. Most of them would not have the same loyalty or pride in the Disney company as the American CM's.  Its a job, they get paid, they go home. Thats it.

Also the Disney Happy Smilley image of a  Disney CM is just an extension of American customer service.  just In the parks its exaggerated.  In general you get the same happy smiley have a nice day, what can i do for you ma'am , how are you today, have a nice day, in a high street restaurant or shopping centre anywhere in American. Thats just how they are.

And thats the problem in DLP with the CMs. People expect the DLP CM's to be the same as the American CM's, when that happy smiley have a nice day is not part of the culture of Europe.

Once you can understand the differences and see that its peoples expectations of DLP that let them down, not the actual park, then you can see and appreciate the uniqueness of DLP.  European people like DLP because it is Frencfied, therefore it fits more with their cultural and social expectations. American people or people who are used to the American parks dont like DLP because it does not fit their cultural and social expectations.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

DisneyRon

They're very different parks. If you're going to compare two Disney parks, I would look to California rather than Orlando. And then DLP measures up quite well.  ;D They're all rather good though.

nathalie

Quote from: dlpowl on February 03, 2017, 11:37:48 PM
Quote from: nathalie on February 03, 2017, 06:12:36 PM

I didn't intend the title to be odd, it was simply what people have said to me.  However I have amended it to be clearer.

Of course people are allowed a favourite, that is everyone's prerogative.  What annoys me is when people basically slag off your holiday and try to spoil it for you.  What bugs me is some of these people haven't even been to Paris.  We can all have an opinion on our favourite Disney stuff but it's unfair to make others feel bad about their choice, especially when there's children involved.

I do agree on that.  Many people go from what they've heard from others, while never even been to the place themselves.

And yes, BTM is MUCH better in Paris then the other parks.
The one in Paris is much longer and smoother.  The ones at WDW and DLR are short and shakey.

Sugaroo_

To be honest I'm just grateful we have a Disney park in our neck of the woods. I don't know about you guys but I don't have the money to be flying to Florida & California every so often :P I agree with dlpowl, it's not wrong to have a favorite but the smugness is annoying.

As for which park is better than which, I find the comparison rather unfair. Each park is at a different point in its "career" so to speak. Orlando & Anaheim are bigger and better parks, but in no way does that make Paris crap. DLP is much younger. By it's 50th anniversary DLP will be (fingers crossed) bigger and better too.

Disney is such a huge chunk of American culture. To replicate that anywhere else in the world is a very difficult task.
But it's not the buildings and attractions that are hard to replicate, it's the feeling. Long story short I grew up in America and moved to Greece when I was 15. Huuuge Disney kid, all things Disney were woven into the fabric of my being. Fast forward 10 years I visit DLP for the first time as an adult and that Disney feeling hit me like a ton of bricks! It didn't come across to me as a bad imitation or a rip off. Smaller yes, different yes, but very very much a Disney park. For a person who was so "disneyfied" growing up, DLP did not disappoint me at all, quite the opposite it took me back and reminded me of why I loved Disney so much as a kid.

So for accomplishing that feeling alone - nostalgia, escapism call it what you want- I think DLP has at least succeeded in recreating the essence of its American counterparts, even if that means smaller size, less attractions and less Americana.

I do believe in the awesomeness that is WDW and DLR but I don't see myself ever turning my back on DLP. For practical reasons of proximity obviously but also because I love it too much, and all things Disney for that matter.
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

ILS

Having been a reader of these forums for the last couple of the months, this is the first time when I have felt compelled to register up and write my own response in regards to the comparison.

I was in a fortunate position growing up where I went to Disney World Orlando on five occasions from the age of 6 all the way to when I went at 18. I loved Orlando and the family loved Orlando and no other holiday destination which we had in during that 11 year period could rival it.

However now I have moved on to the next stage of my life being a father of two, my dream is to take my lads to Disney World to live the dream which I got to live. However being a working class father of two, no longer can you get to Orlando including tickets for less than 6-7k for two weeks. So we made the decision that we would wait until the lads were older so they would remember it as there is no chance I would be able to afford to go to Orlando five times with my family like I did when I was younger.

In the meantime we decided that we would go to DLP back in 2014 when my oldest was four and the youngest was one. It was in June and the weather at the time was about 28 degrees. At the time I was a bit sceptical about DLP as it wasn't Orlando so it isn't going to be the same.

As soon as we walked into main street station and could see the castle which my youngest on my shoulders and my eldest son next to me, I actually begin to well up. I am not an emotional type however seeing the look on my lads face brought back every great memory I had as a kid. The smell of the place was the same and due to the warmth on the day, I could of actually been in Florida.

I understand why people do say it is not as good but then Orlando has four parks and two water parks so it is very hard to compare the two, but all I know is that going to DLP brought back great memories and I absolutley love the place. We went last June and going again this June.

Disney really does bring the child out in you no matter whether you are in California, Orlando or Paris but DLP has allowed me the opportunity to bring the same happiness to my children as I got to experience.