question re eurostar pricing vs disneys pricing

Started by Stacykg, October 06, 2016, 02:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacykg

Hi
Heading to disney via eurostar in december.
I recently had the mother in law call me saying the prices for eurostar standard and standard premier seating is the same on the website. I checked and yes, for the trip we are taking the price is £109 each on standard and standard premier. I have booked the trip through Thomsons and called them today to see about an upgrade to standard premier. She called disney and came back to me saying £153 extra if we wanted to upgrade!

Any ideas why this is? Why the prices are so much more than eurostar themselves?

dlpowl

Because when you're buying directly from Eurostar, you're getting their best price on that day and they can add or remove whatever offers and discounts they want but when buying through a third party such as Disney or a travel agent, those offers aren't applicable.  It's the same with flights.  You're always better checking the price directly with the travel provider first.  I'm not sure there's much you can do about it other than try complaining to Thomsons and they might knock you something off?  Was your holiday itself cheaper with Thomsons than buying directly from Disneyland Paris themselves?  I've always found Disney to be the cheapest but I'm always interested to hear what other have found.

Stacykg

Thank you for your reply.
It was the same price as it would have been going online and booking directly with disney, as they use the website and just act as a booking agent for you. I got £30 off and free travel insurance because I mentioned I was visiting different travel agencies to try get the best price. They said they use the same prices set by disney but can knock a bit off.
Only reason I went through Thomsons and not disney direct was to get the option to pay over a few months, as I can't for the life of me save enough for the entire holiday in one go!

polar vixen

if booking online from the UK ve aware that you can go through sites like topcashback- we've got a minimum of 70 cashback on every booking we've made. 

Stacykg

Yeah I thought about that after, but cash flow made the decision for me! Its been booked and paid for months ago, next time though! Thanks :)

grovesie

We always book the Eurostar separately. This way we can get the times we want and direct service.

Andybear

Quote from: Stacykg on October 06, 2016, 03:04:33 PM
Thank you for your reply.
It was the same price as it would have been going online and booking directly with disney, as they use the website and just act as a booking agent for you. I got £30 off and free travel insurance because I mentioned I was visiting different travel agencies to try get the best price. They said they use the same prices set by disney but can knock a bit off.
Only reason I went through Thomsons and not disney direct was to get the option to pay over a few months, as I can't for the life of me save enough for the entire holiday in one go!

I always go with the Walt Disney Travel Company.  I pay a deposit then save up the rest which has to be paid two months before the trip. 

Stacykg

Quote from: Andybear on October 07, 2016, 08:03:51 PM

I always go with the Walt Disney Travel Company.  I pay a deposit then save up the rest which has to be paid two months before the trip. 
Is this through Disney direct? On the website etc I'd like to look into that for next time.

Update on the main thread. We spoke with thomsons again and they suggested it may be the price difference between booking the train in April when we did and booking the train now. I did some maths when we got home and she was right, we paid £323 for the train in April as part of the package and if we had booked the train today with standard premier it would have been £476, the difference is £153 exactly what we were quoted to upgrade. So nothing further to be done there we got it very cheap for what it is now (standard premier is £40 more than standard right now).

Andybear

Quote from: Andybear on October 08, 2016, 09:54:57 PM
Quote from: Stacykg on October 08, 2016, 08:53:10 PM
Quote from: Andybear on October 07, 2016, 08:03:51 PM

Is this through Disney direct? On the website etc I'd like to look into that for next time.

Yes it is - it covers DLP, WDW and the Disney Cruise Line.  Here's a link to their website:
https://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/