Disney to charge for breakfast?

Started by laylanmummyluvdisney, September 21, 2016, 09:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrswads

I'm eagerly waiting for prices for next Christmas to be released, not due out until 25th Oct but saw on Magic breaks yesterday that they had released the dates. They are indeed quoting room only, but when I clicked through it gave me the option to add breakfast for £352! We are a family of 2 adults, a 7 year old and a 4 year old planning to go for 4 nights. Price of meal plans has now also gone through the roof as this breakfast charge is included, so we are looking at £832 for the premium plan. I'm waiting for the DLP website prices but I'm actually a bit scared that we won't be able to afford the trip we dreamed of at these prices.

Karmaviolet

We're booked for June already, and were hoping to add a premium plan, but doesn't look like this is going to be viable.

If we didn't already have breakfast included, there's no way I would pay the DLH price for breakfast - as a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) it's only £20 a day more expensive to do the character breakfast.  So I'd probably add a couple of character breakfasts, then get a MacDonalds the other mornings...

littlebitofpixiedust

I think personally it is a bad move I mean many people will now stay of-site. I can only assume extra magic hours in the park will be a lot busier than before because everyone that can't afford £200+ for their family to have a breakfast will be in the park I can only imagine the ques in the shops and in the village for a coffee/croissant fix!

Well we as a family will take our own breakfast to have in our room or take with us on the go, it'll be cheaper and saves waiting in line. We probably on one of the days will book the character breakfast option also as a treat.

We're staying at the DLH next month and it will defiantly be the last time for us you could kind of justify it with the amazing breakfast included but to pay that much extra when the hotel itself is already that much more expensive I think we shall stay at the sequoia lodge for our next visit. We'll see how it pans out will DLP make more money? Or will the usual visitors opt to stay of-site to save money  ???

RockNRoller

As someone not going until after the price change is supposedly happening I'm watching the news like a hawk. If this does happen we'll still eat in the hotels but it may mean we down grade to off set the increase. That said has anyone seen if charging for breakfast is an additional cost or if they are just separating the cost of food from the cost of the room? Could this mean staying in a Disney hotel is cheaper if you don't mind finding your own breakfast in the park or village.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: RockNRoller on October 16, 2016, 09:16:40 AM
As someone not going until after the price change is supposedly happening I'm watching the news like a hawk. If this does happen we'll still eat in the hotels but it may mean we down grade to off set the increase. That said has anyone seen if charging for breakfast is an additional cost or if they are just separating the cost of food from the cost of the room? Could this mean staying in a Disney hotel is cheaper if you don't mind finding your own breakfast in the park or village.

That's the million dollar question right there! But I can't see Disney lowering prices overall ro compensate the new breakfast tariff.

polar vixen

tge only way we afford disney is with 25 percent off abd free dining.  I'm really worried they're going to downgrade free dining to free breakfast.   a single cheap buffet meal at disney costs our family just under 200 euros.  a burger meal around 90. there's no way we could afford disney without the free dining plan abd right now that is my nightmare

harleyrice

Isn't breakfast normally included in the booking? In the disney hotel we just  go down every morning and its a buffet.
Disneyland Paris

December 2004 Santa Fe
August 2005 New York
December 2005 New York
February 2006 New York
October 2014 Disneyland Hotel
October 2015 Disneyland Hotel
October 2016 Disneyland Hotel

msRavenswood

Quote from: harleyrice on October 16, 2016, 02:40:05 PM
Isn't breakfast normally included in the booking? In the disney hotel we just  go down every morning and its a buffet.

It's included for arrivals up until March 2017 but it's rumoured that it will be an add-on from April onwards.

DMPicone

Checked into the Newport Bay this afternoon for 5 nights. They have us a ticket for breakfast tomorrow at the hotel, then said they were trying something new and gave us tickets for breakfast by moving breakfast to the park and have us tickets at the Plaza Garden the following 3 days.the last day they said was too far out to book at that point. I assumed that all breakfasts were moved to the park, but after booking a Paris excursion we had to change one day and we're going to be switched back to the hotel. No idea what qualifies you for the park breakfast but it's much nicer since you can actually use the extra magic hours. The tickets list four restaurants and they mark the proper one for you. Is this new or has someone else seen this before?

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: polar vixen on October 16, 2016, 01:42:09 PM
tge only way we afford disney is with 25 percent off abd free dining.  I'm really worried they're going to downgrade free dining to free breakfast.   a single cheap buffet meal at disney costs our family just under 200 euros.  a burger meal around 90. there's no way we could afford disney without the free dining plan abd right now that is my nightmare

I can see many people being extremely stretched because of the changes please always check other countries offers like French offer/Belgium etc we've found some bargains you do have to pay upfront so I usually save up then call DLP but we saved about £500 last time vs the U.K. Offer so there's always options I hope that you mange to still visit and Disney take into consideration the people that all this will affect

polar vixen

Thanks for that littlebitofpixiedust.  I hope I'm not getting my magicforum members mixed up..and I think you're very much in the same situation as me - right now we do a winter holiday in January term time and a sometime during the year holiday at Disneyland.  We scrimp and save for these, this year we thought we'd take risk and did a cheap £9.50 sun deal at a lovely caracvan park.  Whilst the park and beach themselves were lovely, and i'd planned days out, done social stories, picture diaries of everything we'd be doing, as much as I could it was still too much change for my boys with asd as I couldn't guarantee where we'd be having lunch, or tea, exact order of events etc.  It's been over 4 weeks and my uoungest is just starting to come down off the super-hyper-drive state that he's been in ever since, and my hubby who doesn't even like Disney (crazy person) has said he doesn't want to go anywhere else because it's too stressful trying to deal with the stressed out kids.  So, I'm really hoping we can manage it again, as it's a place where they're not stressed, which means we get a break!

littlebitofpixiedust

For many of us we can understand the kids needing to busy especially if they have additional needs I totally get where your coming from my son has autism and cerebral palsy and is a wheelchair user dlp is our only holiday destination.

Now the breakfast pricing will affect us like you and others but as I say there's ways round it  :)

Try not to panic about the meal plan I know many swear by them but we've not once used them and we've been around 25 times! We usually go for the best offer price wise and even with free meal plan the French site has come up so much cheaper it easily compensates meals! We take our own lunch and only buy one hot dinner you'll still go back you just gotta plan even more now like I assume many will...

mickeyspal

This isn't new, we were paying for breakfast in the early years, now it's costed into the price so people just think it's a free breakfast. Disney's running a business not a free breakfast club.
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

mickeyspal

Quote from: Andybear on September 26, 2016, 08:10:34 PM
Quote from: A&S&O on September 26, 2016, 07:55:58 PM
They ripped up all of the named stones and replaced them with bland slabs. Looks like a shopping mall now.

People used to wander around, up and down the steps looking at all the names and places. No evidence of that in the summer, people were ignoring the lower level and walking straight to the park by the shortest route.

Thanks but why were there names on the stones?  Did people pay for them?
I was very disappointed when they dug up all the stones,  we bought ours in 1998 and every year since we looked out

for it and glad it was still there, the contract for having the stone was for 10 years, but I would have liked the opportunity to have the stone lifted and offered to us probably at another cost.
I think we paid about 150ff approx £30 in 1998.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

Zee79

Quote from: mickeyspal on October 29, 2016, 12:40:19 AM
This isn't new, we were paying for breakfast in the early years, now it's costed into the price so people just think it's a free breakfast. Disney's running a business not a free breakfast club.

I know we have always paid for it in the price but now its extra on top of the price that included it, is £12 per person per day worth paying when it's some rolls, meat & cheese? That's my issue, I jus think what I could buy else where for that price. I'm still going back to DLP so it's not stopping me, I'm just having to work things out further financially.