Cafe Mickey for adults? Plus voucher recomendations?

Started by NHDisneylover, August 21, 2016, 08:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHDisneylover

We have two adults and an older teenager and will have half board vouchers on our upcoming trip.

Cafe Mickey seems to be one of the best "bargains" for those vouchers--and i do enjoy getting some photos with characters.  The menu looks OK--so we thought we might have lunch there before driving home.  Is it as chaotic and unthemed inside as walking past from teh outside, with that huge line, indicates?  Or is there some atmospehere inside?

Our current thoughts of what to book are:

Silver Spur Steakhouse
Remy or Blue Lagoon
Hunter's Grill
and maybe Cafe Mickey

Would you recomend something else with those vouchers (Walt's is not longer an option, sadly)

dlpowl

Have you considered paying extra and going to Inventions character brunch?  I haven't been but it's meant to be amazing and far far superior to cafe Mickey.  The reviews for Cafe Mickey recently have been a bit pants. 

jacmurphy

I would highly recommend inventions if you can afford it. Far more selection of food and more characters too
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge

NHDisneylover

Thank you both.

If I understand it correctly, using the voucher towards a priceier meal would mean we just get the amount we paid for the voucher credited toward the meal and don't have any savings.  Is that correct?

If so, we'd be better to do Innoventions out of pocket some other time and use the 10% AP discount.  But it is good to know Innventions is a nice place and worth doing at some point (and it sounds like Cafe Mickey isn't worthwhile then--hmmm, back to the drawaing board)

jacmurphy

Plaza gardens is another great restaurant, its buffet good quality and choice and without the inventions price tag. It is my absolute favourite
May 2015 Explorer
Sept 2015 B&B (Old one)
Dec 2015 Davy Crockett
March 2016 Davy Crockett
June 2016 New B&B
Sept 2016 New B&B
Nov 2016 Hotel Cheyenne
Feb 2017 Sequoia Lodge

dlpowl

Yes you just get the monetary value of the voucher towards your meal if you eat at a higher category place.

If you want a character meal, there's the option of having a character breakfast at Cafe Mickey, would that appeal to you?  It's about £15 per person for Disney hotel guests and the reviews are usually pretty good.  We are doing this on our next trip instead of having an evening meal at Cafe Mickey.

NHDisneylover

Thanks jacmurphy--we also love Plaza Gardens.  We spent dine there both Christmas Day and Easter Day of hte past year--so were trying to branch out and try some other things, nad possibly some places that would cost us more out of pocket with the AP discount than the vouchers did.  With a drink we can come out slightly ahead of what we'd pay otherwise at several places (like Blue Lagoon, Remy's, Silver Spur, etc-----but we may just go for a "break even" at the Plaza if nothing worthwhile that the vouchers provide an actual savings for

Quote from: dlpowl on August 23, 2016, 02:51:37 AM
Yes you just get the monetary value of the voucher towards your meal if you eat at a higher category place.

If you want a character meal, there's the option of having a character breakfast at Cafe Mickey, would that appeal to you?  It's about £15 per person for Disney hotel guests and the reviews are usually pretty good.  We are doing this on our next trip instead of having an evening meal at Cafe Mickey.

Thanks.  We actaully could go either way on a character meal---just looking to get good value for the vouchers since we got them this trip instead of paying out of pocket and using the AP discount and Cafe Mickey appeared to give the best value--but not if it isn't a worthwhile meal.

polar vixen

if you're not desperate for characters maybe the buffet at the Newport bay club would be worth a try?  it's supposed to be lovely since the refurb, or the steakhouse in the village I think is covered by plus vouchers?
(my favourites are silver spur (which I sadly can't viusit because it puts my autistic son into a trance for 3 hours within about 5 minutes of entering) and remy which you've already chosen, but we did eat at the steakhouse in the village once and it was really nice

NHDisneylover

Thanks for the great advice Polar Vixen!

Sorry you cannot go to Silver Spur anymore. 

Magic_Liv

Hi, this year we got the half board plus meal vouchers included in our booking so I got to try out a number of the restaurants. So here's some of my thoughts; I thought cafe mickey the food was quiet nice but nothing special and the atmosphere was nice but not fantastic that being said it wasn't chaotic and it was a great chance to meet characters. Silver spur had a lovely feel and nice food but the steak was a little tough. Ratatouille had really nice food and great decor but the service felt quiet rushed- although I did get the vibe that it hadn't been a great day for them so maybe on a different day service would be better. But I have to say for us the blue lagoon was the best, lovely atmosphere, great food and a lovely server. Obviously this is just my personal opinion but I hope it might help make decisions. Have a great trip  :)

NHDisneylover

Polar Vixen, if you are still reading---were there many non seafood offerings at the Newport Bay buffet?  One of us is not a seafood lover