Pirates of the Caribbean 2017 refurbishment (EEP)

Started by msRavenswood, July 28, 2016, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

Thanks for posting the video MsR.

It looks great. The new auction scene looks like its been done well. In fact, unless you're a big Disney nerd (like us lot) you'd probably think it'd been like that since '67.
My French is rusty this evening, what is it they're shouting in the new scene? It sounds like 'un fois' from the Auctioneer, which is "one time" but that's about all I can get.

EDIT: Found this via CafeFantasia
«On veut des armes, comme la rouquine!»
«Ouais, comme la rouquine!»
"We wants guns, like the redhead!"
"Yeah, like the redhead!"

Hector Barbossa steals the show for me. I'm assuming he'll be unique to Paris?

Cap'n Jack is ok, I think I'd rather just have the one appearance though.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: A&S&O on July 13, 2017, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: CentralPlazaPerson on July 13, 2017, 03:18:39 PM
Not a big fan of change to classic attractions but this was well needed. DLP should be commended for this.

"Change... needed" or refurbishment needed?

I'm all for refurbishment and change when it improves things. But some things they change offer no improvements and a good refurb would have been better.
Peter Pan was refurbed and looks terrific, Fantasia Gardens was changed, when all it needed was a refurb (it was much more interesting with the "stones" and without the gaudy lights).

What we as Disney parks fans think is largely irrelevant though. It's the casual audience Disney must cater for. The ride is called "Pirates of the Carribbean", you expect to see Captain jack etc. when you ride if your a casual fan. Look at Shanghai's pirates and compare that to what we had (and what we still have) it is unmistakenly better, That ride is bloody mindblowing!

maybe it isn't as classic but Walt didn't intend the parks to become a Museum. Honestly I'd be OK with them completely overhauling Phantom Manor, Pirates, Pinnochio, Snow White etc. to modernize them. They are dated when you compare them to our newer attractions like Ratatouille or newer Disney attractions like Frozen Ever After.  If not the whole rides I believe we should at least upgrade the animatronics to the level found in Frozen. Replacing statues with animatronics too.

msRavenswood

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 13, 2017, 08:04:09 PM
Thanks for posting the video MsR.

It looks great. The new auction scene looks like its been done well. In fact, unless you're a big Disney nerd (like us lot) you'd probably think it'd been like that since '67.
My French is rusty this evening, what is it they're shouting in the new scene? It sounds like 'un fois' from the Auctioneer, which is "one time" but that's about all I can get.

EDIT: Found this via CafeFantasia
«On veut des armes, comme la rouquine!»
«Ouais, comme la rouquine!»
"We wants guns, like the redhead!"
"Yeah, like the redhead!"

Hector Barbossa steals the show for me. I'm assuming he'll be unique to Paris?

Cap'n Jack is ok, I think I'd rather just have the one appearance though.

Well, the second Jack Sparrow is a bit confusing, but I have come up with a theory. You're supposed to be dying during the explosion scene. And then you enter the caverns that are full of skeleton pirates, dead pirates, dead just like you. Barbossa is cursed so he's something between dead and living. And Jack Sparrow, well he either has finally found the way to stay alive forever or he is dead, but simply immortalized as the great Captain Jack Sparrow.  ;D

claire2281

I was lucky enough to get a go on the new version of the ride yesterday and I can safely say it's a FANTASTIC upgrade. It keeps the spirit of the original but brings it to the next level with some impressive animatronics and effects. It really feels like a super polish of the ride experience we already had. By far my favourite new bit is Barbossa but seeing the improved versions of the duelling pirates, the swinging pirate working properly, both cats back, the flame effect and the new Red Head is just joyous.

The only bad thing is it makes some of the old animatronics in the like of Snow White look REALLY dated - I hope at some point they get up dated too.

If they can do this to pirates I can't wait to see what they do to Phantom Manor!
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

whatsupanders

Quote from: claire2281 on July 15, 2017, 12:41:28 PM
I was lucky enough to get a go on the new version of the ride yesterday and I can safely say it's a FANTASTIC upgrade. It keeps the spirit of the original but brings it to the next level with some impressive animatronics and effects. It really feels like a super polish of the ride experience we already had. By far my favourite new bit is Barbossa but seeing the improved versions of the duelling pirates, the swinging pirate working properly, both cats back, the flame effect and the new Red Head is just joyous.

The only bad thing is it makes some of the old animatronics in the like of Snow White look REALLY dated - I hope at some point they get up dated too.

If they can do this to pirates I can't wait to see what they do to Phantom Manor!

I agree! It's really a fantastic upgrade, the queue looks better than ever too.

BeautyandtheBeast

Is there any news on the new menu for Captain Jacks yet?

DisneyFan43

I asked about the menu as we are going next week and have booked a table. I was told the menu and restaurant information will be online and over the phone from 24th July. Hope this helps!
Visited DLP; May 1994, Dec 1995, May 1997, Oct 1997, May 1998, Oct 1999, 2000, Halloween Soiree 2003, 2004, NYE 2005/2006, Feb 2007, Feb 2009, May 2013, Oct 2015, July 2017, March 2018

BeautyandtheBeast

Thanks Disneyfan 👍 Have a great time 😁

whatsupanders

tubbsy

We sat and (probably badly with our 30 year old French O level classes in mind and Google translate!) translated this last night.
I think we've made our choices :)
Son is refusing to call it Captain Jack's. I haven't told him of the changed on the ride ....

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

A&S&O

Let's not forget that the attraction was changed quite some time ago for PC reasons. The running / chasing ladies scene was changed.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

BeautyandtheBeast

Would love to hear from anyone eating there today? As I believe today is the official opening.

PMF

Quote from: A&S&O on July 20, 2017, 12:25:36 PM
Let's not forget that the attraction was changed quite some time ago for PC reasons. The running / chasing ladies scene was changed.
It was changed in Anaheim and Orlando not Paris. I have been trying for days to rationally justify Davy Jones, placement in the ride and the best explaination I can come up with is as in Anaheim that's the portal that takes you back in time. Of course the time travel concept might have been discarded thanks to Jack,s presence in the caves.

ccsvideo

This is a very well done clip of the Pirates ride in Cali, it looks more or less like the one in Orlando when it was refurbished some 7 years ago. For those who already did the DLP new ride, is there any difference?

{Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC61K7esx5w{/Youtube]

NCC1701Q

We've been at DLP since the Saturday before the official re-opening and first off - the improvements are amazing. Love the new music and special FX at the lift hill and the whole market scene is great.
However, this week the swinging pirate wasn't swinging anymore one day, the two chasing pairs just after the market scene stood still, as did the dueling pirates.
The swinging and chasing ones have been fixed but the dueling scene got closed off with a curtain yesterday.
I understand technology sometimes falters but it is really a shame this happens so quickly after such a long time of renovation.
(Similar: I must have been on BTM over a 100 times since it reopened but have never seen the smoke effect on the third hill).