Eurostar Luggage and pushchairs?

Started by DisneyM79, April 14, 2016, 09:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyM79

Have I read it correctly on their website?

It says per adult ticket you can take two pieces of luggage upto 85cm? Obviously I wouldn't need that but as I'm travelling with my young daughter I'm going to take one suitcase (between us), my rucksack and her quinny buzz pushchair...I'm hoping that will be ok!?

her quinny pushchair has to be taken apart and stored with the suitcases but i'm sure they'll let us do that right?!

It says you can take a pushchair, buggy or pram? prams are quite large so i'm guessing it'll be fine?

Any advice is greatly appreciated....

Sorry, i'm such a worrier lol!
'Have Courage and Be Kind'

stifle

Eurostar won't have a problem with that, but will the two of you be able to manage all that stuff?

daddyof2

We took our push chair (Baby jogger city select) both times we've been, and with 2 children. It's definitely manageable, as you'll have plenty of time to get on/off the train. Are you travelling on the direct train from St Pancras? I've only ever done that

DisneyM79

this is why i'm taking my quinny pushchair as it can be pushed one handed  ;D

and yes we are getting direct train from ashford  :)

Puffin

It won't be a problem. The hardest part is to find room to put all your luggage at times when the train is fully booked.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

stifle

Quote from: DisneyM79 on April 14, 2016, 09:56:35 PM
this is why i'm taking my quinny pushchair as it can be pushed one handed  ;D

and yes we are getting direct train from ashford  :)

From Ashford International could be problematic as all the baggage space is liable to be full up from people who joined the train at St. Pancras International and Ebbsfleet International.

15stitch

I travelled by Eurostar last year from Ashford on my own and I'm doing the same in 2 weeks.

I am travelling leisure select as I knew that I would struggle with luggage space in standard class as it will be pretty full by the time the train gets to Ashford.  Standard Preimer in generally quieter and therefore there is more likely to be space on the racks.    Could you look to upgrade?   I think its only £25 each.

Also, getting on at Ashford was easy.  There are staff there to help you, however coming home is a different story!   I had to leave my son on the platform in his pushchair while I put the case on and then I really struggled to get the pushchair and him on the train!  Getting off at Ashford I was helped by several amazing passengers (otherwise it would have been difficult).

I would definitely say to take a collapsible stroller! Otherwise I think you will really struggle.  I pushed it with one hand, pushed the case with my other hand and had a ruck sack.
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

15stitch

Sorry - just to say I hope I didn't sound to negative in my post!  I had an amazing time and the Eurostar was great (apart from the getting on at Paris and off at Ashford).   I'm doing exactly the same in May, so it can't have been that bad  :)
1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)

DisneyM79

I appreciate that the direct train would have already stopped at the first two stations before arriving at Ashford where we'll get on, but we have allocated seat numbers right? and with regard to the luggage areas already being very full by the time it gets to Ashford, this has now made me worry even more, as this is a problem Eurostar should surely deal with on a daily basis and will be able to sort for me if there is a problem? we'll be travelling with half the luggage we are actually allowed and there is no way they can turn us or our suitcases and pushchair away !? Sorry i don't mean to sound rude but they must have plenty of space left for those getting on at Ashford with suitcases, pushchairs and small children!?? i'm a bit lost for words.....

Karen101

Try not to panic :) I'm in Ireland and I haven't travelled by euro star but my SIL is London and she she always does with her kids.

The thing you have to remember is euro star is not just full of people going to disneyland paris so while it has better luggage space I'm sure than a regular train it won't cater for ever single passenger traveling with buggies they need to store and small kiddos.

There for it does make sense that the people getting on at the later stops might struggle a little more to find luggage space near their seat.

Also you aren't rude so don't worry :)

15stitch

Don't panic!  You have allocated seat numbers. The problem is that the luggage area isn't massive & is the same on all trains. On the Disney train there will be a lot more luggage & many more pushchairs then other trains. You will be fine but I strongly suggest that you take a collapsable pushchair if at all possible.

1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)

15stitch

Just to add that your fellow passengers will help you! People on my train were fantastic!

When are you going? Im off on 2nd may x
1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)

daddyof2

Absolutely agree - you will definitely get on the train with your luggage. If you're travelling on a term time weekday, the train is unlikely to be full so there should be some space somewhere, just maybe not the closest luggage rack to your seat

DisneyM79

Thanks for the re-assurance guys, was starting to panic as new to all this  :D

15stitch we go on 8th May  :D

We are getting the direct train from Ashford straight into Disneyland on a term time Monday mid-morning so am hoping there will be space for our luggage, even if it's not that near to where we are seated!

I am taking our Quinny, which is collapsable into two parts so should hopefully ok

xx

stifle

Quote from: DisneyM79 on April 15, 2016, 11:01:43 PM
I appreciate that the direct train would have already stopped at the first two stations before arriving at Ashford where we'll get on, but we have allocated seat numbers right? and with regard to the luggage areas already being very full by the time it gets to Ashford, this has now made me worry even more, as this is a problem Eurostar should surely deal with on a daily basis and will be able to sort for me if there is a problem? we'll be travelling with half the luggage we are actually allowed and there is no way they can turn us or our suitcases and pushchair away !? Sorry i don't mean to sound rude but they must have plenty of space left for those getting on at Ashford with suitcases, pushchairs and small children!?? i'm a bit lost for words.....
You have allocated seats, yes, but the luggage space is free for all. It's unlikely you'll be turned away unless you have over the prescribed limit, but you will need to find space for the baggage yourself and may need to lift items over your head into the overhead racks or leave your baggage at a distance from where you are sat. In particular "Eurostar" will not "be able to sort for you" as the platform and train staff will be occupied with making sure the train departs on time and assisting passengers who have disabilities. I have been on the service to Marne-la-Vallée a number of times and it was always a bit of a squeeze in terms of bags leaving Ebbsfleet. I don't mean to scare you or put you off, just help you to be well-prepared.

Quote from: Karen101 on April 16, 2016, 08:07:39 AM
The thing you have to remember is euro star is not just full of people going to disneyland paris so while it has better luggage space I'm sure than a regular train it won't cater for ever single passenger traveling with buggies they need to store and small kiddos.

There for it does make sense that the people getting on at the later stops might struggle a little more to find luggage space near their seat.
The train in question is in fact full of people going to Disneyland Paris as it is a train direct to Marne-la-Vallée.