Planning first visit-help. Family of 5

Started by Cork girl, April 02, 2016, 10:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cork girl

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find anything. We are hoping to visit Disney Paris in early Dec 2016 (getting four nights for 2) to soak up the magic of Christmas. We are 2 adults and three boys. I have a few questions about our trip.

1. I'm so confused by the different booking sites and room options. Some offer us two interconnecting rooms in Santa Fe and Cheyenne, which works out as the cheaper option, which might be good as we can shower etc without waking the kids at night. Approx €300 more for the four nights to stay in one family room in Newport Bay. I understand it's a nicer hotel and has a pool which might be useful if weather is bad. However,I'm a little apprehensive about a family room, I have a vision of us all being cramped into one room and sitting in the dark once kids go to bed!

2. Our boys are quite young so I think we will not book half board as they simply wouldn't eat enough to make it worth the money. I assume people do this? It would mean visiting the likes of the rainforest cafe etc. for meals. Does this make sense?

3. How expensive is a taxi to and from the airport? Is there a site I should use to book this? I know some of the sites are including flights and transfers but these seem to be more expensive than me doing it separately.

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated!

ChipandDale99

Hi I just went in February with 5 people. When I spoke to Disney staff they said the room would be cramped. However we were five "adults" (13+) the cast member said that the fifth sleeping place is quite small. I'm not sure and if I'm wrong someone please correct me but he seemed to imply it was for toddlers.
For the food the vouchers cover kids meals so I don't think eating enough will be a problem however it's only really good if you are prepared to have a sit down meal everyday and rainforest isn't included in the vouchers. If you want more freedom and the ability to eat what you want eg. Counter service one day or a restaurant in the village. Then the vouchers aren't worth it. Hope that makes sense :)

Cork girl

Thank you chipanddale99. I thought as much regarding the meals, think we will go without vouchers, as we wouldn't be sitting down for three courses with the kids so young! Did you stay in Newport bay?

ChipandDale99

No I stayed at the Davy Crockett ranch as we drove and could fit 6 people (and a lot cheaper) but I've stayed in new port bay a few times. (Not since renovation) and we really enjoy it.

Lavi

We visited DLP as a family if five. As the little one was under 3 we could be acommodated in a room for four. We didn't take half board, we prefer more freedom. We ate lunch in a buffet restaurant in the parks and for dinner we had something lighter in one of the counter services or in Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village.
For transfer from CDG we used one of the companies that do this: Prestige transfer I think. It was 70 euro per trip for 5 and it took about 35 minutes from the airport to the hotel reception. We had booked transfer ahead, by email.

littlebitofpixiedust

Hi, we've been countless times over the years and would opt for interconnecting rooms at the Santa Fe/Cheyenne than a family room in Newport bay. It's a good hotel and recently renovated but we've stayed in all on-site hotels and this one is very large indeed! The Cheyenne and Santa Fe are both fine to stay in, the walk is better than the shuttle bus (weather permitting) it's up past Disney village you walk so not far really. The Sequioa lodge is a little closer and has a pool also so you could consider that too and Hotel New York? It's worth checking prices. I'm one of these odd people that prefers Sequioa lodge over Newport bay club  ???

We've never once used meal vouchers, personally we love rainforest cafe, planet Hollywood and king ludwigs restaurant and you cannot use vouchers in those so it would defeat the object if we had the meal plan. We always do a character meal mind you usually Invevtions buffet, Cafe Mickey is also good for character meets.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Cork girl on April 02, 2016, 10:23:19 AM
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find anything. We are hoping to visit Disney Paris in early Dec 2016 (getting four nights for 2) to soak up the magic of Christmas. We are 2 adults and three boys. I have a few questions about our trip.

1. I'm so confused by the different booking sites and room options. Some offer us two interconnecting rooms in Santa Fe and Cheyenne, which works out as the cheaper option, which might be good as we can shower etc without waking the kids at night. Approx €300 more for the four nights to stay in one family room in Newport Bay. I understand it's a nicer hotel and has a pool which might be useful if weather is bad. However,I'm a little apprehensive about a family room, I have a vision of us all being cramped into one room and sitting in the dark once kids go to bed!

2. Our boys are quite young so I think we will not book half board as they simply wouldn't eat enough to make it worth the money. I assume people do this? It would mean visiting the likes of the rainforest cafe etc. for meals. Does this make sense?

3. How expensive is a taxi to and from the airport? Is there a site I should use to book this? I know some of the sites are including flights and transfers but these seem to be more expensive than me doing it separately.

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated!

And try disneylandparisdirect website I've booked many times through these and usually if you select option "all Disney hotels" it'll show prices for all rather than you re entering dates for each individual hotel. Also just so you know you can book any different country offer, for example last December I rang Disneyland Paris booking and told them I wanted to book the "French offer" I saved loads against the current UK offer. Not always the case but worth asking for quote? Good luck and enjoy your trip!

polar vixen

it's worth checKing different countries offers too. for us this time we got 30 percent of and free half board so ir was actually cheaper for a room at Newport bay which is Lovely than it was for a room at the Cheyenne or Santa fe.

Cork girl

Thanks so much you wonderful people for taking the time to reply!

So far, decision made regarding food....no vouchers for us.
Decision made for getting to and from.....private transfer booked ahead.
Hotel only decision left. Looks like it will be the Santa Fe or Cheyenne. Have looked at the others and only one that can accommodate us all together is Newport Bay or Disneyland Hotel. All others are only giving us two rooms so Santa Fe and Cheyenne then are the only options as others come in more expensive than Newport Bay one room IYKWIM.
I will def try to find the different countries special offers too!

Thanks again!

Cork girl

And interestingly, just checked the French site and there is a family room available for up to six people in the Santa Fe! Now it's not cheaper, but it's not an option at all on the Irish site.

Sulley15

We booked Newport bay, the family room worked out cheaper than 2 family rooms from our previous trip where we had 2 rooms. We also upgraded to compass room, with the cooked breakfast and drink/snacks in the afternoon evening, I think pays for itself.
New York hotel March 2013
Cheyenne February 2015
Newport bay Compass room February 2017

Cork girl

Thanks Sulley15, saw those compass rooms, they look fab plus love the idea of the snacks! But it's over €400 more than the two rooms for us. Don't think even I could eat that many snacks! I really love the idea of it though, and it would be my dream!

Cork girl

Sulley15, just for information purposes, can I ask were there five of you in that room? Was it ok or did you find yourself having to go to bed at same time as kids....this is what I picture when I see us all in the one room! We have stayed together in family rooms in Ireland and some have separate sitting area but some have three doubles all lined up together!

Karen101

Hey cork girl :) dublin gal here so wanted to say hi :)

We are going in July and we are staying in a family room at the newport bay club compass club level :) there is actually only 4 of us going myself, my hubby our 7 year old and my mother but no way would my daughter share a bed she's like a gymnast when she sleeps lol

In the compass club rooms there are two king size beds and one single and one roll away if it's a room for six and two kings size and one roll away if it's a family took for 5.

In the five person room we have the two king beds are in one area and then there is a small partition and the fold down single is on the other side of that beside the seating area and tv etc ... So I think it will work.

Did you check with break away .ie when you were looking? I know they are a travel agent but they were oddly cheaper than booking direct they are based in dublin but they have a good website.

Sully15 when are you going to the NPB.? I'd love to hear what you think of it ... If it's before we go :)

Cork girl

Hey Karen101, yes its breakaway.ie that I'm getting best rates with :-) Im a bit jealous of you now heading off to compass club! That family room idea sounds ideal but not sure if I can justify it costing us about €300 more than two rooms....