Going to Disneyland by Yourself

Started by Mason Cooper, March 23, 2016, 09:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mason Cooper

Hi,

So I haven't used this forum since 2010! And I only really used it for the casting forums as I auditioned for Disneyland a few times and was on their books each time. Unfortunately I never made it out it due to availability.

So now I am 25 years old, still never been to any Disneyland (I stood outside the Californian Park, but never got in due to booking issues) and graduating from university. As a graduation gift my parents have paid for me to go to Paris for 4 nights and 5 days in the Hotel Cheyenne. To say I am excited is a HUGE understatement!

So my reasoning for posting, I will be going in November by myself, and I guess I want to ask, is it okay for someone to go by themselves? Like I really can't wait to go, but I'm gonna be that person sitting on their own in the Cafe Mickey etc. Is it possible to meet people out there who are also by themselves? Or for the restaurants do they sit you with other people? And in the evening when the park closes what can someone do who is by themselves?

Mason  :)
I\'ve been having these weird thoughts lately... like is any of this for real or not?
<3 Kingdom Hearts!

rebecca20

I've never been by myself but you do see quite a lot of people who are! There's lots of bars and I guess for a guy, the sports bar is a pretty good place to make friends if your into sports (it's usually predominately males whenever I've visited it for big matches).

Another thing I would say is use social media as their is a big community and you will more than likely find someone visiting at the same time as yourself.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Mason Cooper

Thanks Rebecca! I knew about the Sports Bar, but that probably isn't my thing. I'm not into Sports at all haha

I\'ve been having these weird thoughts lately... like is any of this for real or not?
<3 Kingdom Hearts!

rebecca20

Quote from: Mason Cooper on March 23, 2016, 09:18:18 PM
Thanks Rebecca! I knew about the Sports Bar, but that probably isn't my thing. I'm not into Sports at all haha

Tbh I'm not, but if theres one thing I love its good alcohol - and sports bar is the cheapest (as a northerner that's a big deal for me)!! I also think it tends to be less family and more adult orientated so it's just a generally good bar. A lot of CMs also tend to go after work so there's always lots of interesting 'meets' with friends of characters ;)
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Mason Cooper

Quote from: rebecca20 on March 23, 2016, 09:21:35 PM
Quote from: Mason Cooper on March 23, 2016, 09:18:18 PM

Tbh I'm not, but if theres one thing I love its good alcohol - and sports bar is the cheapest (as a northerner that's a big deal for me)!! I also think it tends to be less family and more adult orientated so it's just a generally good bar. A lot of CMs also tend to go after work so there's always lots of interesting 'meets' with friends of characters ;)

Haha! I remember my days in the casting forums, a lot of CMs said they went there after work! Also the old nightclub Hurricanes

I do fancy a good drink when I get there!
<3 Kingdom Hearts!

Ohana

There are some YouTube vlogs of people who do Disney solo, might be worth checking out. One account in specific is That Disney Lover, she's done a solo vlog so that might help you out a bit? I'm sure it'd be awesome still, and maybe you could see if there's any way to meet people who are going at the same time as you who you can meet up with? :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

Guineapig56

I went to Disneyland for 3 years on my own (husband and grown up kids appeared to not really be interested). It was brilliant..got on to rides really quickly as there was always room for single riders and deciding where and when to eat was never an issue. I do now go every year with my grown up autistic son but still remember those earlier years with great fondness so it is something I would definately do again.
Guineapig ;D

bad-pink-tink

I am a good bit older than you and I was in DLP last month February 2016 on my own and I had a brilliant time. I stayed in Disneyland Hotel and spent approx 12 hours each day, open to close in the park.

I had breakfast on my own, booked reservations in Restaurant des Stars and Blue Lagoon. and had lunch in Pizzeria Belle Note and Last Chance Cafe,  The park closed at 8pm each night I was there. On my first night after Dreams, I went for a swim in the pool at 9pm, then had a Glowtini in Bar Fantasia.

On my second night, when the park closed, I had a pina colada in Bar Fantasia.

I saw the new show Enchanted Forest and did pin trading. One morning during EMH I took Disney Transportation down Main Street, I was the only one in the car and the CM, took my photo.

One morning I was the very first person in Pirates, front row in the first boat. The second morning I was in the first rotation of Autopia

No one looks at you oddly, everyone is so wrapped up in their own Disney bubble. I did what I wanted, when I wanted. Most of the time I didnt speak to people, sometimes if people near me looked lost, I gave them directions, but other than that I just did my own thing

Quote from: Mason Cooper on March 23, 2016, 09:02:10 PM
Like I really can't wait to go, but I'm gonna be that person sitting on their own in the Cafe Mickey etc.
No big deal, if you are in a restaurant on your own. Pick the restaurants because you like the food and its in your budget. Dont be worrying that people will pity you for sitting on your own

Is it possible to meet people out there who are also by themselves?
If you want to talk to people talk to people, if you dont want to talk to people , dont talk to people. Most of the time when I was in line, I didnt talk to anyone. When I did pin trading I chatted to CM's but I mostly just did my own thing

Or for the restaurants do they sit you with other people?
No they dont. At breakfast I was brought to a 2 top table and they cleared away the extra place setting. At Blue Lagoon, I was brought to a 2 top table and they cleared away the extra place setting. At Pizzeria Belle Note I sat at a 4 top table and did not feel guilty or conscious of the fact that I was taking up a 4 top table. I had bought my food just like everyone else and had as much right to sit at a 4 top table as any one else

And in the evening when the park closes what can someone do who is by themselves?
When I was there the park closed at 8pm, I went to my hotel bar and had a drink, same as everyone else.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

littlebitofpixiedust

I've never gone alone, I would though! I think it'd be quite interesting :) you could always post your dates nearer the time? The likelihood of another solo traveller here or elsewhere is possible?

A while ago I saw a post here and the guy had recently split oth his gf.. He still went and by all accounts had a great time. I really would just look forward to going and you'll chat to other people I am sure. I go with a group but always end up chatting to others in waiting lines ect. Hope you have a magical trip!

15stitch

I've never been on my own, but I would!

I think you will have a brilliant time!
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

Zee79

I want by myself as such just my family was in one hotel & I was in another (I booked last minute). As a lone female I felt completely safe walking to breakfast in the dark every morning & home across the bridge on a night. When I first checked in I got a funny look off reception because I was with my father & kids until I said they are in the other hotel other than that everything was fine. Breakfast was easier to get seated & it was interesting to watch  the people. My husband often disappears off by himself when I go shopping & loves it, getting in the rides is so much easier he has said.
You will have a great time, doing what you want when you want. Enjoy!