(Rumour) Guardians of the Galaxy retheme for Tower of Terror?

Started by Rocketeer, March 23, 2016, 02:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyAteMyCap

I reckon the Guardians of the Galaxy theming will come to Disneyland Paris but they won't change the exterior. They'll probably just renovate it inside and change any ride mechanics that need changing for it to replicate this one.

Rocketeer

Can't see that myself, it looks pretty much likke a package deal - interors and exteriors.

Hopefully the costs involved will help keep this away from WDS for now. Heck, with a bit of luck the Mouse migh realise its a mistake and not do it at all. We have precedent now - after OLC announced the Frozen Port for TDS but then quitely dropped it in favour of rennovating Fantasyland and a Big Hero 6 attraction.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 24, 2016, 08:25:26 PM
Can't see that myself, it looks pretty much likke a package deal - interors and exteriors.

Hopefully the costs involved will help keep this away from WDS for now. Heck, with a bit of luck the Mouse migh realise its a mistake and not do it at all. We have precedent now - after OLC announced the Frozen Port for TDS but then quitely dropped it in favour of rennovating Fantasyland and a Big Hero 6 attraction.

I just can't see it ever happening given Tower is one of the first things you see when you walk into the park. Unless the park itself changes theme I just think the Hollywood Tower Hotel fits too well and I don't think you can project onto the new Tower, random thoughts though:

1. Will ToT have to close for the projection show? You'd assume so but just curious.

2. This goes for DCA but also WDSP how are they going to do it? Tower is HUGE, you can see it from so many places in the park, what if your standing in TSPL or Bug's land and see a big robotic tower, right now its just the Tower hotel and it fits KINDA since in those lands your meant to be tiny and in a garden and you can say its a building on the horizon. But it won't fit at all with the robotic thing.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 24, 2016, 08:25:26 PM

They won't. It's Guardians of the Galaxy...and their companion Star Lord. :P

Rocketeer

Apparently (not completely verified, but seen on Twitter) the announcement for this was resoundly booed at ComiCon.

And via the OC Regiester:
QuoteComplaints and anger fill @Disney comment pages after announcement that Guardians will replace Tower of Terror #DCA

Although I doubt the Mouse will back down. They ignored the protestations at the closure of Pleasure Island when they didn't have a decent replacement in the works. (Admittedly in hindsight that did lead to Disney Springs - however that incompasses more that Pleasure Island.)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 25, 2016, 11:47:34 PM
Apparently (not completely verified, but seen on Twitter) the announcement for this was resoundly booed at ComiCon.

And via the OC Regiester:
QuoteComplaints and anger fill @Disney comment pages after announcement that Guardians will replace Tower of Terror #DCA

Although I doubt the Mouse will back down. They ignored the protestations at the closure of Pleasure Island when they didn't have a decent replacement in the works. (Admittedly in hindsight that did lead to Disney Springs - however that incompasses more that Pleasure Island.)
They shouldn't. I don't know why people are being so extreme in their opinions over a theme park attraction. It's pathetic if you ask me.

MattR

I am not sure if I like it. I am curious what kind of story they can construct around the actual ride system. The current elevator themeing works so well...

Wonder what Disney Sea will do they never had the Twighlight Zone licence .

mickey1980

Last time I visited the hotel there was dust en spiderwebs everywhere. It looked really run down and old.
Worst thing were the broken elevators  :o

Good thing they are refurbishing the place.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on July 26, 2016, 12:21:40 AM
They shouldn't. I don't know why people are being so extreme in their opinions over a theme park attraction. It's pathetic if you ask me.
Maybe because we don't want to see a decent attraction replaced with a thin premise of a retheme that does nothing to add to the park?

What if they rethemed Le Chateau to make it 'Queen Amadala's Helter Skelter' or Pirates of the Carribean becomes 'Jar Jar Binks Wild Ride' ?

Quote from: mickey1980 on July 26, 2016, 06:43:15 PM
Last time I visited the hotel there was dust en spiderwebs everywhere. It looked really run down and old.
Worst thing were the broken elevators  :o

Good thing they are refurbishing the place.
;D

mickey1980

Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

^Just like Guardians... it would be better served in its own attraction, and not a retheme of an existing one.

DisneyRon

io9/Gizmodo article about the ride

Looks like Disney is actually doing this at California Adventure, so perhaps they could do it as well at DLP?

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 26, 2016, 08:24:55 PM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on July 26, 2016, 12:21:40 AM
Maybe because we don't want to see a decent attraction replaced with a thin premise of a retheme that does nothing to add to the park?
It's only a ride. Twilight Zone's not even Disney anyway so doesn't make sense as the theme of Tower of Terror.

Sugaroo_

I read on twitter (I've been doing a lot of that lately!) that there are no plans to incorporate the Guardians of the Galaxy theme into Disneyland Paris, which can be interpreted simply as a lack of money to do so at this time.

I for one think ToT is one of the most successfully themed attractions in both parks & would hate to see it go. The queue + pre-show are so elaborate I feel like the ride experience has begun way before I get in an elevator. The CM's are always amazing on this ride, so talented!

The Twilight Zone isn't Disney, but the hotel fits in with the whole Golden Age of Cinema - old Hollywood Boulevard & Vine Street theme. The Hollywood sign back drop is so iconic to me.

If they bring GotG to the Studios it's not just the Tower that has to be refurbished, that whole central area would have to be scrapped & reimagined leaving Tram Tour totally irrelevant to it's surroundings so that would have to go too. It's sounds like too much trouble to me.
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Rocketeer

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on July 26, 2016, 10:24:47 PM
It's only a ride. Twilight Zone's not even Disney anyway so doesn't make sense as the theme of Tower of Terror.
I can't see how it 'doesn't make sense as the theme' - its pretty much a key part of the attraction. There are references to the television show all over the queue area for starters.  Let alone the actual attraction's events.

And although the Twilight Zone is used under liscence from CBS, it doesn't make it any less of an attraction. Some argue that the younger guests "do not know what the Twilight Zone is and therefore rendering it unnecessary", well to me that's a poor excuse to remove a decent attraction (Twilight Zone name or not) to make way for a weak re-theme.

I don't see why we have to add characters to traditional attractions (ie. Pirates, small world) just to placate some guests, who seem to think that its not a Disney attraction if they're not there.

Is Phantom Manor (Haunted Mansion) any less of an attraction beacuse there's no Jim Evers (Eddie Murphy) AA?

Quote from: Sugaroo_ on July 27, 2016, 09:07:24 AM
I read on twitter (I've been doing a lot of that lately!) that there are no plans to incorporate the Guardians of the Galaxy theme into Disneyland Paris, which can be interpreted simply as a lack of money to do so at this time.
Good.
I for one think ToT is one of the most successfully themed attractions in both parks & would hate to see it go. The queue + pre-show are so elaborate I feel like the ride experience has begun way before I get in an elevator. The CM's are always amazing on this ride, so talented!
Well said. I couldn't agree more - and I've never actually been on the attraction! I just love the style and detail in the attraction and its surroundings.

As for the CM characters, I hear the proposed Guardians CM characters are going to be 'potentially annoying'.

The Twilight Zone isn't Disney, but the hotel fits in with the whole Golden Age of Cinema - old Hollywood Boulevard & Vine Street theme. The Hollywood sign back drop is so iconic to me.

If they bring GotG to the Studios it's not just the Tower that has to be refurbished, that whole central area would have to be scrapped & reimagined leaving Tram Tour totally irrelevant to it's surroundings so that would have to go too. It's sounds like too much trouble to me.
Excellent point. Maybe for once the fiscal issues of ED have saved us from a mistake. And add to that the ludicrous location of the attraction in WDS which could also save it.

Given that DCA's Tower is situated to the rear of the park (and the 'entrance' to a rumoured Marvel Land expansion) then these changes, although affecting the rest of Hollywoodland, impact less on the park than it would if it were to happen in WDS.
Not that I'm advocating that it happen in DCA. It's still a stupid idea.