Security at the moment

Started by jayney69, March 22, 2016, 09:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayney69

With the new attacks in Brussels this morning I'm just wondering what security is like at DLP at the moment.  We go on 4 April, staying at the New York for 4 nights.  We were there last April and there was not a huge amount of security on show, just a scanner for large bags as we went from Newport Bay into Disney Village.

We will obviously be going, I worked in London in the years of the IRA bombings so very little panics me, but just wanted to get it clear in my head.

NCC1701Q

As far as I'm aware (I'm sure they are also security measures in place that are not so obvious), this is what's it like now:
- cars are checked before they enter the carparks at the hotels;
- visitors are checked at the "regular" security booths, you have to open your coat and spread your arms so any bombbelts can be detected, all bags go through the scanners and then there is security personnel with handheld metal detectors that check visitors (although I have the impression they mostly check men, not women).

In the parks there is also security present, as we noticed during our last visit when we thought our babybuggy was stolen - however the backpack we left in it was causing some concern so the whole thing was moved to City Hall were we picked it up (with a lecture from the CM about security as an added bonus) - mea culpa!  :D

jayney69

Thanks NCC1701Q, that helps a lot :)

moopmoop93

We got back yesterday. If staying in a Disney hotel, they check baggage on arrival, we stayed at sequoia lodge and there was a security man on the main door to the reception at all times  who had a handheld scanner and checked every new arrival coming into the hotel with it. At the check point, next to cafe mickey, all bags were checked on conveyor belts, everyone had to open their coats (not just men) and on 3 out of the 6 days we were there they stopped everyone of our group and scanned us all with those handheld detectors (we were 2 male adults and 3 female adults). When coming in from the train station, they had full metal scanners like you get at airports and the Eurostar check in at London. Security is quite tight, but it certainly makes you feel a lot safer!!
Sequoia Lodge - Sierra Lodge Aug 2006
Sequoia Lodge - Montanna Room (upgraded to GFC rooms for free) Feb 2014
Sequoia Lodge -Lodges Feb 2015

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: NCC1701Q on March 22, 2016, 10:30:53 AM
As far as I'm aware (I'm sure they are also security measures in place that are not so obvious), this is what's it like now:
- cars are checked before they enter the carparks at the hotels;
- visitors are checked at the "regular" security booths, you have to open your coat and spread your arms so any bombbelts can be detected, all bags go through the scanners and then there is security personnel with handheld metal detectors that check visitors (although I have the impression they mostly check men, not women).

In the parks there is also security present, as we noticed during our last visit when we thought our babybuggy was stolen - however the backpack we left in it was causing some concern so the whole thing was moved to City Hall were we picked it up (with a lecture from the CM about security as an added bonus) - mea culpa!  :D
It's crazy that they have to have extra security now at a theme park that's supposed to be a magical land of fantasy. Too many sick-minded terrorists who would probably get a kick out of blowing up Disneyland and killing a load of innocent families with young children. Why can't we all just get along?

stifle

Unfortunately there are those who hate freedom, who hate those unlike them, and who hate the fact that the world keeps turning and people don't bend to their wills.

nathalie

I can tell you, you probably get a better check trying to get into DLRP, then getting into Brussel Airport.

Brussels has been in fase 3 (fase 4 is highest security risk which is right now) ever since, and no decent checks at the entrance?

Keandra

Pls explain to me how you would controle thousands of passengers going into an airport entrance hall.
The security starts just behind that spot.

If you go to disneyland, and stay in a Disney hotel you're car and Luggage is controlled.
You can't do the same at an airport or on a metrotrain.

I work in Brussels, and at the hospital i work, they try very hard to help everyone.
It seems you have never seen such things, or don't know what it is when things like that happen in the city you live in.

We're going to the New-York hotel to on the 5th of april.
We'll feel safe there.

littlebitofpixiedust

We were there In December and February after the Paris attack and as stated above there doing all they can to protect visitors, the attack in Brussels is another extremely sad event... I only wish these people didn't exist. But they do!

I am a woman and my little lad is in a wheelchair and we both had to open our coats everyday, so I'd assume they're doing this to everyone they'd even ran a metal detector over me. DLP have in my eyes coped very well considering the circumstances. I even emailed them regarding this, and pointed out that it didn't in anyway take away the magic of the parks  :) once your inside the park the magic is still very much alive and the few minuites extra wait for the security measures is welcomed by myself and many. Of course there will be people complaining if they are waiting to long but it needs to be done. I'm sure you'll feel safe and have a brilliant time! DLP attracts thousands of visitors so of course they have to be extra careful because it's obviously a possibility there could be an attack but as long as they keep up with the security measures (I'm sure they will!) I really wouldn't worry, have a fabulous time! The hotel New York is lovely too!

Samninetysix

We just got back at the end of last week, the extra security is evident and inludes sniffer dogs. First time we've been and not seen any army patrols though but the security tents have increased everywhere and as previously stated, coats have to be opened and they are using hand held body scanners.

Zee79

I'm glad there is such a high level of security. I know it can be a pain but taking those extra few minutes is worth it. I'm a little nervous though at the moment as my daughter is travelling to Paris tonight so I'm on edge. I know she'll be safe in DLP but it's the other places. I'm trying not to spoil it for her because she is so excited, this trip was postponed from December because of the attacks.

simbamad

Quote from: jayney69 on March 22, 2016, 09:59:12 AM
With the new attacks in Brussels this morning I'm just wondering what security is like at DLP at the moment.  We go on 4 April, staying at the New York for 4 nights.  We were there last April and there was not a huge amount of security on show, just a scanner for large bags as we went from Newport Bay into Disney Village.

We will obviously be going, I worked in London in the years of the IRA bombings so very little panics me, but just wanted to get it clear in my head.

I go on 4th April too, up until today I was really looking forward to getting away but now Im feeling really anxious. We are flying and then getting the TGV train from the airport. I know that security its going to be very tight but it still makes me nervous.

Slimy yet satisfying

Throw in some french strikes over Easter and it just makes even more to worry about.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

seraphelle

Please do not worry.

I know this is easier said than done, but I was there at the time of the attacks last November, and honestly, I felt safe. The Cast Members were completely on the ball, the security was amazing (even the stuff you don't notice unless you look for it like plain clothes security in reception areas).

It felt completely safe. xx
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

jayney69

Thanks everyone, it sounds like they're completely on top of everything.