where to eat

Started by jomill88, February 24, 2016, 11:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomill88

;D first holiday to Disney and we have half board plus, can people please give me there personal views on what restaurants to eat at, 3 adults 3 children ages 13, 5 and 2.

Thank you in advance.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:D 23 August 2016 ;)

DLPWonders (Banned)

I've eaten in every restaurant and the only ones I dont like are Café Mickey and Videopolis.
Yet there are plenty of other people who do like those restaurants.
In other words: you can't say in what restaurants to eat because every single restaurant is perfectly fine.
Also with children. It all comes down to personal taste and budget.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

stifle

Quote from: DLRPWonders on February 24, 2016, 01:16:46 PM
I've eaten in every restaurant and the only ones I dont like are Café Mickey and Videopolis.
In other words: you can't say in what restaurants to eat because every single restaurant is perfectly fine.

Precisely this!

15stitch

What sort of food do you like? 

It does come down to personal taste really as others have said. 

My absolute favourite restaurant is Blue Lagoon - I love the location, the décor and the food.  However the food isn't to everyone's taste.

1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

15stitch

Quote from: DLRPWonders on February 24, 2016, 01:16:46 PM

DLRPWonders - just out of interest what didn't you like about Café Mickey?  I've eaten there for breakfast and I was thinking about trying it for dinner in May.
1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)

twentythingamabobs

This is a hard question - totally depends on what you want to get out of it. Do you just want quick service so you can see more of the park, do you want table service, do you want character interaction, do you want a buffet... so many options.

If you give us a bit more information as to what sort of food/experience you're after we can make recommendations based on our own preferences  ;)

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: 15stitch on February 25, 2016, 11:12:12 AM
DLRPWonders - just out of interest what didn't you like about Café Mickey?  I've eaten there for breakfast and I was thinking about trying it for dinner in May.

I personally find the restaurant being really loud, mainly because there a lot of small children.
I'm not a fuzzy eater at all but I don't think the set menu is worth the money.
I find the quality of the food really bad, and as much as I adore characters...it's just the same standard characters as at the park.
Why would I pay the money to see them at CM, if I can see them for "free" at the park?
Character dining wise I much more prefer Auberge de Cendrillon and Inventions Sunday Brunch.
Sure it's much more expensive, but you get characters there that you normally can't see elsewhere.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

15stitch

Quote from: DLRPWonders on February 25, 2016, 11:41:22 AM
Quote from: 15stitch on February 25, 2016, 11:12:12 AM

I personally find the restaurant being really loud, mainly because there a lot of small children.
I'm not a fuzzy eater at all but I don't think the set menu is worth the money.
I find the quality of the food really bad, and as much as I adore characters...it's just the same standard characters as at the park.
Why would I pay the money to see them at CM, if I can see them for "free" at the park?
Character dining wise I much more prefer Auberge de Cendrillon and Inventions Sunday Brunch.
Sure it's much more expensive, but you get characters there that you normally can't see elsewhere.

Thank you.  That's really helpful.  I have to say that I wasn't that impressed with the menu when I looked at it. 
1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)

littlebitofpixiedust

I have to agree about cafe mickey, it is noisy if your budget allows inventions is much calmer and quieter all round.
I've eaten in most restaurants and we every visit go to king ludwigs in Disney village there is a wide variety of choice the food is nice and it has a good atmosphere  :)

billy

just back from 6 days in disney with two kids aged 11  and 5. we ate in cafe mickey, chez reme annettes diner and our hotel and i couldnt find fault in any of the meals. it was all great the kids ate loads, the starters are a bit strange for kids but the rest is amazing. we ate in planet hollywood too but i wouldnt recommend that the food was ok but the service and atmosphere was horrible

DLPWonders (Banned)

^ And thats my point exactly.
I personally absolutely LOVE Planet Hollywood!
I eat there almost every single trip. I tried so may things off the menu and it has all been delicious!
I've never had bad service there, all of our waiters have always been really funny and interactive and amazing.
One time they accidentally forgot my fries and to make up for it I got two portions for free.

But that is exactly what I mean.
There is no way to recommend or not recommended a restaurant.
It all comes down to personal preference.
What is great for one person can be horrible for another.
Matter of the fact is that each and every restaurant is technically a good choice.
Whether or not its a good choice for YOU, thats something which nobody else can decide.

Zee79

Totally agree. My brother & I know others think the Rainforest is fab, I personally don't. Theming is great for kids but the food I don't think is for the price you pay. Planet Hollywood I think is poor in theming for kids but we thoroughly enjoyed the food, we ate there when I was under the weather, sore throat etc yet out of the entire holiday this I enjoyed the most.   As a family we enjoy the Cheyenne & Santa Fe buffet & would recommend it but others have complained so it all depends on what you yourself enjoy.
We are thinking about trying Inventions when we go in the summer, we don't usually do this (too posh for us haha) but since it's our only trip this year (unless I get my way & head off to Poland for a few days to do historical sites, eldest is learning about world wars & her interest has been sparked if you can make the link here :-) ) then I said let's treat ourselves, we only have standard plan so going to pay the rest but I've been reading reviews & some have said it's fantastic & others have said less than favourable things about it, ie the food is just seafood? Its horrible considering the price. Getting confused but still think we may try it. What others dislike we may like. My kids will give anything a try.

littlebitofpixiedust

Inventions is buffet and has a wide range to choose from, there is a lot of seafood (I'm not a fan) but there's equally a lot of other foods to try and lots of desserts! I personally don't go for the food I go for the atmosphere and character interaction.

I don't typically like buffets I prefer table service where I can choose something myself from a menu rather than picking bits from a buffet, but in saying that I'm extremely fussy and it doesn't help that 2 years ago I suffered severe food poisoning (from chicken) not from inventions. So now I'm very wary about eating meat such as pork/chicken. I do try to eat more vegetarian type food or have beef.

Planet Hollywood I have always enjoyed the food and we've been visiting 17 years in total and always are here every trip. My favourite is King Ludwigs and every trip we also visit here aswell, my son loves there chicken pops! (Like kfc popcorn chicken but better)

It's really hard to say who will like what because everyone is so different. My whole family love inventions food but they're not as picky as I am and really rate it, my dad I don't think has ever ate so many prawns! ::)

Zee79

Thanks for that. I hate seafood, I've tried different seafood & nope can't get away with it. My kids will try it & love prawns, hubby & dad will love it, esp since I read you also can try snails on occasions, they love them. Kids don't but have tried them. Glad to hear other types but if not I'll just have all you can eat desserts!  Why not, its Disney & with all the walking I'll burn it off :D

littlebitofpixiedust

Inventions is a lovely experience and I'm sure you'll find something you like! As I said I'm fussy and I never leave hungry lol  :D

I stuck to pizza, veggies, pasta and some vegetable lasagne oh and don't forget a dessert!