Eurostar boarding, luggage and pushchairs - advice please

Started by DisneyM79, January 29, 2016, 09:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyM79

Hi, I've booked my first trip to DLP today for myself and my young daughter so am pretty new to all this!
I'm looking for advice on the Eurostar, if someone can talk me through the process once we arrive at Ashford to depart?

I'm also concerned about coping with luggage and a pushchair and my daughter safely, so have a couple of other questions.....

Do they allow pushchairs on? I'm obviously happy to store this once we're on, as my daughter has her own seat for duration of journey. Is there pushchair storage?
Is the baggage allowance 1 suitcase per person/seat?
Do we get our own luggage on and off the train?
Are the suitcases stored close by to our seat?
What is the hand luggage allowance per person?

Any advice or tips are gratefully received  :)

Thank you x

'Have Courage and Be Kind'

stifle

Welcome to the forum :)

You need to arrive at the very minimum 30 minutes before your departure, and I would recommend around an hour. When you get into the station you will need scan your Eurostar tickets and to clear passport control and security checks. The security is similar to airports but you are allowed to bring whatever liquids you like. Make sure you have all your party members' passports ready.

Pushchairs are fine but should be folded if possible and stored in the overhead racks (and not the luggage racks at the entrance to the carriages). You can bring on two items of baggage per passenger, plus a small personal item, all of which you need to carry on and off yourself. You can have additional baggage stored in the luggage van for a fee, this is called registered baggage. Small bags (up to about 60cm long and 40cm wide) are to be stored in the overhead racks, whilst larger bags, which to comply with French law must have a label on the outside bearing your name and address, can be stored in luggage racks at the end of each carriage.

You've not mentioned whether you're planning on choosing the special Disneyland direct train. This runs just once a day in each direction but is very convenient as it pulls straight into Marne-la-Vallée and you just walk or get the free shuttle bus to your hotel. Alternatively you can get an indirect service by changing at Lille-Europe onto a domestic SNCF train. These are usually double-decker trains. In any event having cleared French passport control before leaving England you walk off and have no further formalities to deal with on arrival.

On the way back, if travelling direct you clear security at Marne-la-Vallée but there are no UK immigration officers there so you clear immigration on arrival back at Ashford International. If changing at Lille-Europe, you just walk onto the train at Marne-la-Vallée and then clear passport control and security when you change trains at Lille.

polar vixen

I'd avoid hand Luggage as much add possible.  if you can get yourself a large back pack.  you have to get your own luggage abd Kids on abd if the train b yourself so being able to have you're hands free is a mega bonus.  if you have a lightweight pushchair that means you can stick the back pack on, one hand for tge push chair and one hand for your daughter.  departure isn't terribly rushed so don't worry about having to fight crowds to throw things on the train lol.  my main advice would be too bundle up well clothing wise for travel abd take as little as possible with you.  have a great time!

DisneyM79

Thank you both for the great advice! very much appreciated!
Yes, we are taking the direct train from Ashford into DLP as i thought this would be much easier.
So I think if me and my daughter share a large suitcase rather than have two separate ones, and i'll get a rucksack for the journey and a small folding pushchair, that should work quite well  :D
My boyfriend is coming too so he can carry our suitcase and his rucksack on lol......
'Have Courage and Be Kind'

stifle

Oh yeah one other thing, make sure when booking that you select suitable seats for yourselves. If you want a table book early, as there are only 2-4 tables in most carriages. On the direct Disneyland services all seats are usually booked and you will have to sit in your assigned seats.