First time driving - anything I should know?

Started by Martyn, December 16, 2015, 10:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

So I'm going to be driving to DLP for the first time next month. Is there anything I should know?

Going to be staying in the Sequoia Lodge, is parking free? Can I turn up at any time on the day of arrival?

Zee79

Yes parking is free & you can turn up any time, you just got to make sure you have your reservation documents because security will want to check them & possibly inside your boot.
Where are you driving from? check you have all the necessary equipment you need for in France e.g headlight reflectors, high vis vests, breathalysers, extra bulbs etc you can check online for what you need plus toll money.

MattR

Regarding the breathalyzers according to french law you have to have one in your car but since 2012 there is no fine for not having one.

NCC1701Q

Also beware of some delays as there is some congestion at the French borders (depending on where you';re coming from) - last week the delay was about 1,5 hours to get past customs control (they check cars/passports at random but it does cause large traffic jams) at the border.

Martyn

Going to be getting the Chunnel/Ferry at around 5am on a Sunday so hopefully delays will be minimal.

Is there just the one toll? I've driven to Parc Asterix before so I know about the Calais - Paris toll.

ilovemainstxxx

hi
yeah there is just the one toll
when we see the signs for Parc Asterix we start getting excited as we know we have not got to far to go..

A&S&O

Yes, just one toll - around 21 Euros. We just pay by credit card, much easier, just shove it in the machine.

If you're travelling on a Sunday, bear in mind that there won't be many shops open in France and manned filling stations won't be open either.
There is a Tesco filling station very near the tunnel entrance, we filled up there - its open 24hrs.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?