Euros

Started by Disneypluto, March 08, 2015, 09:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disneypluto

Good morning folks...As we have everything now booked for the holiday..All is left to do is the money..where is the best exchange rate to buy your Euros..much appreciated.

daddyof2

The nominal best exchange rate isn't always the same for everyone, depending on how much you want and what deals you might be able to get.
Try http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/ and http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money for advice on euros, credit cards, pre-loaded cards, etc

stormflm595

at the moment it's really high, the highest it has been for a few years, so wherever you go you'll get a good deal. Sometimes you get a better rate if you buy your euros online :)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

Queen Elsa

As others have said, the euro is brilliant at the minute! I got €100 yesterday for £75. This time last year it cost me £97!

DisneyRon

yep, right now the euro is very low. £1 = €1,38 or so right now. Which is a bit extreme. :)
This is really nice for those in the UK travelling to Europe, not so much for us on the mainland who love to order goodies from Amazon UK. ;D

Disneypluto

Thanks for all your replies guys..We think we are exchanging about £1000 into euros for 4 nights/5 days at disneyland paris..We have already bought our half board meals so that should cover our holiday.

HFJohnson

I often find that the supermarkets have pretty good rates, however I would really recommend the Halifax Clarity Credit card as it doesn't charge for overseas transactions. Plus you get a really good rate of exchange and you don't have to carry as much cash with you.

A&S&O

Quote from: HFJohnson on March 08, 2015, 01:29:25 PM
I often find that the supermarkets have pretty good rates, however I would really recommend the Halifax Clarity Credit card as it doesn't charge for overseas transactions. Plus you get a really good rate of exchange and you don't have to carry as much cash with you.

Its the same with the Nationwide Credit Card - you get the actual exchange rate, pay no commission and don't have to carry loads of cash around. For 10 days we usually take around 150 Euros and pay for everything on credit card.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

macca1476

I've had a fairfx prepay euro credit card for a few years now and its usually amongst the top four or five rates on offer. would recommend it if you have time, you can top it up in installments building up to your visit

stifle

Two other great options are Metro Bank whose debit and credit cards have no fees in Europe even for cash withdrawals, and Norwich & Peterborough who charge no fees anywhere in the world. If you're based in London or the southeast Metro Bank is a good choice even if you're going away soon as they make your card for you on the spot in the branch.

daddyof2

I've used the ICE at Waterloo a few times and always got a good rate - they also have branches at/near other London termini

stifle

The key thing to remember if you're using a cash foreign exchange service is that the vast majority of them give you a better rate if you order your currency online rather than just showing up.

Using a card with free foreign transactions is safer than carrying around wads of €50s though.

merlin

Fair FX pre pay card giving rate of 138 euros to pound this morning ;D
Topped up and ready for the 29th of march its like we are getting wild bills show and meal for free 8)

stifle

Metro Bank transactions were converting at 1.43 yesterday ;D