Spending!

Started by moonloo, March 07, 2015, 07:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonloo

Hello everyone, just wanted to guage the amount of spending we can expect...

I just changed our travel money ready to leave in 2 weeks and I was wondering, the children have £250 each (to spend on toys etc... whatever they want)
Myself and the husband have budgeted for £1200 to pay for meals and any other costs.
We are staying for 1 week and have lunch already pre paid on one day (princess meal).

So all together, to pay for EVERYTHING, we are taking £1700, the exchange rate we got was 1.35. Do you think we have enough?!!

DisneyRon

I'll put it this way, €2295 (£1700 * 1.35) is a LOT of spending money, I imagine that will be more than enough, unless you go crazy spending money.
Just as a rough estimate, if all 4 of you eat at the California Grill for 7 nights (2 kids menus, 2 tinkerbell menus) you'll have spent just over half of the money you're bringing along.
Since I doubt that is your intention, you should have plenty for all the food you could want, and probably a fair bit of money for merchandise to go with it.

moonloo

Phew OK!!!
I always over plan everything and worry.
My husband has said the same thing as you!
We are booked in to Cafe mickey for 5 evenings, and have a reservation for Sunday Brunch at Inventions but not sure whether we will use that reservation or not since the theme isnt very exciting for the Sunday we're there!
I dont intend to buy any merch to be honest, but the kids Im sure will want to spend all of their £250's!!!
I feel better now, thank you!

DisneyRon

No problem at all. :D I hope you'll have an absolutely wonderful holiday.

moonloo

Thank you DisneyRon! We are all absolutley thrilled at the prospect of a whole week together at the happiest place on earth!

stormflm595

yes, that will be more than enough! just be sure to leave enough space in your cases to fit everything in :D

also as a side note, because the rate is so high, when you bring it back to change it back to sterling, the buy back will also be high meaning you'll lose out on money. if you could spare to wait until the euro drops then change it, you'll get more back. or change half and wait to change the other half. I'm a travel money advisor by the way and I tell this to all of my customers atm :)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

moonloo

Hi Stormflm, we put all of the money onto a card thing (Ive just looked it is the Thomsons prepaid multi currency travel money card). I was under the impression we could change it back at the same rate, is that not correct? If not I guess we will keep any left over currency for next years trip...
Im sorry to talk shop with you!!  ;)

stecal

Quote from: stormflm595 on March 07, 2015, 10:26:28 PM
just be sure to leave enough space in your cases to fit everything in :D

:) our cases had quite a bit of spare room on the way over but i had trouble closing them on the way back 1 even broke under the pressure  :D

DisneyRon

Quote from: moonloo on March 07, 2015, 10:47:49 PM
Hi Stormflm, we put all of the money onto a card thing (Ive just looked it is the Thomsons prepaid multi currency travel money card). I was under the impression we could change it back at the same rate, is that not correct? If not I guess we will keep any left over currency for next years trip...

Some exchange services offer return-rate guarantees, so those may apply if Thomsons offers them. :)

moonloo

Thanks guys, you've all been super helpful as always!!!   ;D ;D ;D

stormflm595

Quote from: moonloo on March 07, 2015, 10:47:49 PM

ha not at all! it really depends on the companies policies in which you buy your card from. some companies offer the buy back guarantee and others don't. for example, the place in which I work used to do the buy back (where you are guaranteed to buy back at the rate it was the day you bought your card) but it's been stopped as of a few weeks. your best bet is to either pop in or give the store where you got the card from a call and they will let you know :) I unfortunately do not work for Thomson so I'm not sure on their offers etc! just to warn you hat if you bought your prepaid card with the 1.35 sell rate (the rate that you buy from the bureau) that means the rate you bring back our euros to change (buy back) will be high, its around the 1.52 area as far as I am aware which may mean that you are subject to that rate if Thomson do do the buy back guarantee. don't hesitate to ask them of course, again I'm
not entirely sure on Thomsons policies, this is just my experience from working with Travelex and Sainsbury's Bank. if that is the case then yes, you would probably be better off keeping the currency on your card incase the rates are low next time you want to go
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

stormflm595

Quote from: stecal on March 07, 2015, 11:03:37 PM
Quote from: stormflm595 on March 07, 2015, 10:26:28 PM
just be sure to leave enough space in your cases to fit everything in :D

:) our cases had quite a bit of spare room on the way over but i had trouble closing them on the way back 1 even broke under the pressure  :D

haha! I had to use some of my mums case to put my stuff in in 2012! last year I took a bigger suitcase and will be taking a big suitcase again this month ;)
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

stormflm595

also I forgot to say moon loo, if thomson do not offer the buy back guarantee that DisneyRon mentioned, then you may be subject to rates of the day. give the bureau you bought it from a ring and they'll be able to help you out.
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

moonloo

Thank you Stormflm!

Have a fun trip.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

stormflm595

not a worry! you too!! :)