Hotel New York or Sequoia Golden Forest

Started by DisneyDreamer, March 04, 2015, 01:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyDreamer

Help - we can't decide!!  ::)

At the moment our December stay is the same price whether we stay in Hotel New York or Sequoia Golden Forest - there's less than £5 difference....

We've stayed at HNY before and really liked it. We liked the atmosphere, the room, the breakfast and that it is nice and close to the park entrances. We would be happy to stay there again.

But we're also tempted by the idea of staying in the Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest.  We've never stayed in the SL before but quike like the theming - and our children (8 & 4) would like it too. We like the idea of the private (less crowded) breakfast room and the Hotel Fadtpass. But it's that bit further away from the park (and my husband loves HNY so needs convincing). I like the fact that we would get free drinks and afternoon snacks (and a break from the December weather) but my husband doesn't think we'll use it because of having to walk to and from the park all the time.....

People who have experience of both, what would you recommend??
August 1995 (2 days)- Off Site
August 2000 (2 days)- Off Site
May/June 2010 (5 days) - Hotel Cheyenne
May/June 2011(6 days) - Hotel New York
May 2014 (5 days) - Hotel Disneyland
December 2015 (5 days) - Hotel New York Empire State Club

stormflm595

I haven't used both but will be staying on SL this month. I think if you have already tried HNY maybe try SL? I mean you can do HNY on the next trip if you find you do prefer that one and you might end up finding that the longer walk is worth it for the extra commodities you'll get with GF.
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

KentDisney

I've done both, and have been in the same predicament as you.. deciding between the GF or standard in the HNY.

I will be honest and say I prefer the Golden Forest just because of private breakfast room, there has never been a queue there no matter what time you arrive. Although at the end of a long day in the park that extra 5 minute walk to the entrance of the GF seems like a marathon!

If you've never done the SL, do it and upgrade to the GF.. you'll love it!

Coldupnorth

Sorry to post crash, but what time is breakfast serve until in the GF room?

We are going on Fri, can't wait!

daddyof2

We did HNY last June and are doing SQL GF room in October. The SQL is meant to be lovely in winter, I personally don't think its that much further away for that to be a big problem. If you get a day when the weather is really bad (as is possible in December), you might want to spend a few hours in the hotel.

Sonyak3

Never stayed in New York but done the gf lst November..I would definitely give it a go thou,the walk in morning is fine but coming home can feel like forever but d breakfast lounge is grt and you can take drinks the night before with you for the following day just ask for them closed...we saved a fortune as we never had to buy a drink in the park so for that alone I would go with it..we used the afternoon tea twice durin our 5 day trip so wouldn't rely too much on that especially in dec as the park closes early but it was nice to just chill for the hour on the days we were tired..give it a go this time for a change at least then u can if you dislike it it will be ruled out in future.the fast pass was great aswell,we used ours evry day in ratatouille as the kids loved it but the regular fast pass used be gone by lunchtime..