Trip report Santa fe 15-18 February

Started by littlebitofpixiedust, February 20, 2015, 12:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

We only just made this trip! My son was rushed into hospital by ambulance on the Friday night (he has cerebal palsy and other conditions that require immediate treatment) thankfully he had emergency meds and was fine to go home Saturday. Thank god  :)

DAY 1 (Sunday)
Arrived by Eurostar, took bags to our rooms at the Santa fe hotel. Only the 2nd time we've ever stayed here and must say very impressed  :D friendly staff and we stayed in the lightning McQueen block, opposite reception and main building. Was a little worried as I knew there'd be no fridge and the medication the hospital had given had to be refrigerated, no problem staff kept it at the hotel.
Of to the studios and first attraction was animagique!! Wich for me never gets old  ;) then a whizz around magic carpets and the studio tram tour and it was time for our reservation at king lidwigs at 6pm. Lovely waiters, delicious food and love the decor. Service was a little slow but with it being a Sunday and very busy it was expected.
Then back to the hotel for a not chocolate and early night.

DAY 2
Up and down for breakfast by 7.15 no que but already quite busy. We used the shuttle to the park (first time in years!)
And it wasn't too bad the driver did lower the bus so I could get my sons wheelchair on and we was in the park by 8.30
As usual had a ride on buzz lightyears lazer blast to start of, the newbies had a go on star tours and then round to fantasyland for tea cups and dumbo. And my uncles little boys rode Peter pans flight Unfortunatly my son snt allowed on because of his disabilities.
We were waiting for 10 for Casey junior and storybook land to open where the lovely cast member let my son and my uncles 2 Boys have 2 turns round as there was no que, then a turn on storybook boats and then small world.
We basically covered every ride in the main parc on this day except for Indiana jones and Pinocchio as it was closed for refurb as was space mountain.
We had booked inventions for 2pm wich was as expected excellent, the boys (and us adults really enjoyed it) we met eeyore who my little man couldn't get enough of! And Donald, goofy, Pluto no mickey so we went to meet mickey mouse in fantasyland wich I think bought a tear or two to my uncles eyes when he see his children's reactions.
We did pop back to the hotel for an hour to let my son have some time out of his wheelchair and rest then headed back to the park for autopia an phantom manour.
Almost time for dreams so got the hot chocolates and waited. I've lost count how many times we've seen it but it still makes me warm inside   :D
We decided to wait a while afterwards and let the crowds pour out before making our way back, we walked back every evening but used shuttle mornings and during the day.

DAY 3
Breakfast in the plaza gardens this morning, never been offered this before? Guessed maybe because it was so busy in all hotels? Anyway 8.15 slot and made it dead on, had a lovely spot near the window where we got chip and dale dancing and waving past the windows wich made our morning! Finished by 9 and buzz was calling! Then of to fantasyland again. Few rides and see queen of hearts and Alice (never seen her there before) did get a photo with my son with Alice he had to wait so long he was a little bored by then and wasn't too interested. He loves seeing the characters but he doesn't do well with waiting and gets very angry think where he's non-verbal and autism doesn't help either... ::) but hey, ho!
Took my uncles boy who's 5 on BTM wich he was so excited to go on, but hated it lol. As we were going up the hill he was very pale and saying "I'm going to be sick" repeatadly! Luckily he wasn't! But when it was near the end my aunt said do you want another go he didn't answer, just shock he's head a lot I think he was shocked he didn't expect it to be so fast bless him!
We headed to studios and ahead a quick bite in there, then watched cinemagique, art of animation, stitch live and playhouse live. Noticed no jake or sophia prior to the show??
Ratatouille was crazy ques but went on with my sons disabled pass (it's his absolute favourite now!) still had a quite a wait but not more than 40 mins I don't think but que said 80. On occasions it was 100mins more than crush at 75 mins!
The little lad who was petrified of BTM wanted to try parachutes thought he wouldn't cope, boy I was wrong he loved every minute! Did slinky and few other  it's and bobs in studios didn't attempt adult rides as they were stupidly long lines. And I guess I'm used to going of peak so did shorter que attractions and the shows.
No reservations, kids hungry thought mc ds for quickness. It was absoloutly mental to day the least. We did actually try planet Hollywood but not one table and half was closed of for private party, annettes had a huge que as did everything.

DAY 4
Last day!  :( all packed and ready to hit the parcs with the "to do" list of things any of us missed. Like meet spiderman, ratatouille for my uncles 2 boys, stars and cars, playhouse again.
Fitted it quite a bit and time for some shopping too of course! Infact I'm very pleased with by buys I found a lovely mickey and Minnie clock for my kitchen in the ratatouille shop and only €19.99 a steal! Got my son a remy soft toy, and many,many key rings! He collects them and they keep him Amused for hours.
We basically did all the kids favourite bits all day, had a bite to eat from blockbuster cafe and just enjoyed the atmosphere.
I kind of get sad leaving the parcs I'm sure I'm not the only one! Lol. But I know I'll be counting down until my next trip in may, looking forward to the warmth! Haha  :)

Few tips:
Reserve meals if going over a weekend or when schools are of
If they offer a parc breakfast go for it, we really enjoyed the atmosphere or arrive before 7.30 in hotel
We add Disney express luggage for way back at only €11 per room as we like to unload bags and unpack as we arrive
Don't be afraid to ask for a 2nd go if theres no que for rides, cast members generally say yes  ;)
(not really a tip but good to know) inventions is around €50 per adult but they've let kids eat free on our last 2 trips here so doesn't work out too expensive. And there older than 3! Ones 5 ones 6
Get to dreams/parades at least 30 mins before and find a spot a hot drink while to wait in the cold is nice too!
Take few snacks/drinks in your bag, not only saves money but precious time also standing in a que for 20 minutes is a waste of Disney time!
When busy get to playhouse Disney at least 20-30 mins before it starts twice we arrive 15 mins before snow time and it was already full (over 400 it holds!)

Hope you've enjoyed reading and though I've stayed in all on-site hotels, I admit I was kind of dreading Santa fe. Don't the budget hotels are fine! We really enjoyed our stay and the staff couldn't of been more helpful. It was a lovely trip, some rain some fog some sun too, but not too bad overall.....
NOW ROLL on MAY at HNY yay! I miss it already

moonloo

Glad your son recovered quickly, what a scare! Fab report! We will be staying in the Santa Fe on 23rd March for 1 week. Is the Lightening McQueen block the closest to the main block can you recall?
Thank you for sharing!   :)

littlebitofpixiedust

Yes, and from what I remember the mater block is next to it :)
I really enjoyed staying in the Santa Fe hotel hope you do to!

Disney Matt

I loved the Santa Fe :) Glad you did too!
Enjoyed reading your trip report...lucky you back so soon :D
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

littlebitofpixiedust

Yes I'm very lucky to be going back soon I can't wait!!
My sons in hospital again  :( so not lucky think happy thoughts

Disney Matt

I shall think happy & positive thoughts  :)
Hope he has a speedy recovery!
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

moonloo

littlebitofpixiedust I hope your son makes a speedy recovery. Positive thoughts.

littlebitofpixiedust