Which ride line?!

Started by michellemumof2xx, February 08, 2015, 02:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michellemumof2xx

Hi all, i know this sounds really silly but i read on here a while back that when your entering the ride queue, and you have to choose a line, that one line is usually faster than another because its shorter! We found this when we went last year, but always seemed to choose the longer one, so my question is, which line do we choose? This is for rides like pirates and big thunder mountain?? Thanks :)
First trip ever HNY 15th Feb 2014
Second trip to HNY 17th Feb 2015!!!

danogian

On BTM we always found the left hand queue to be much shorter.

Previous Visits:
Oct 2011 - Santa Fé - 3 nights
Oct 2012 - Cheyenne - 3 nights
Apr 2014 - Sequoia Lodge - 4 nights
Jun 2015 - Sequoia Lodge (GFC) - 4 nights

michellemumof2xx

disneymagic006

Left line is usually fastest in my experience. Don't know why. Someone suggested we automatically go to the one depending on what side of the road we drive on and most of Europe go right....
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

michellemumof2xx

How strange! We went right in big thunder mountain and queues for nearly 1 hour, even tho the sign said 30 mins! So, left it is :)

captain rocket

The reason that left is usually the shorter queue is that most people are right handed and automatically take the right hand path!
This is a well known theory and has been used by Disney for the design of their parks, if you analyse the magic Kingdom Main Street in Florida, then most people go right on entering the park so this side has Shops that sell things you might need during a day in the park (film,caps,ponchos etc) plus coffee shops and bakers shops.
When you leave the park later in the day the shops on the right sell souvenirs that you might want to take home with you.
The only exception is the shop selling cut and blown gas which is on the right on entry and this is because Americans are used to having purchases shipped home and are more likely to spend big earlier in the day! Harringtons in DLRP follows this trend.
This approach has paid dividends for Disney so does seem to have some credence

michellemumof2xx

How interesting, thanks for your help :)

Zee79

We used the left lines on POTC & each time it was the quickest.

michellemumof2xx

Thank you, definatley going on the left :)

Mrsya

Very interesting! Good post!  :D

vals

we watched a lot to see which was quicker,and most times it was pretty close. On Pirates last year the right line always won,but recently it varied.Sometimes it can go wrong with people getting on the other side that have a pass thing, so then they take less from the line.But all in all it made a difference of a minute or two at the most.
For Pirates if you go nearer the end of the day there is sometimes no queue at all. Same with Phantom, Even Buzz gets quiet once people start waiting for the light show to start.

never2old

Definitely the left :)

Last time we were in DLP we once did BTM and they were announcing 15 minutes wait (yes, it was a quiet day ;)) Everyone was taking the line to the right though (the first one), and everyone was following them.... So my brother and I took the left, and walked pretty much straight on to the train platform....

A&S&O

The quickest line is always the one that we're not in.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

macca1476

Quote from: A&S&O on February 19, 2015, 02:55:59 PM
The quickest line is always the one that we're not in.

lol that feels so true :)

itslizi

I went left on Big Thunder Mountain and was surprised at how many people I bypassed,also the Fast Pass queuers enter Big Thunders right queue so that would slow that queue down also.