Spending Money

Started by aquacat2, December 29, 2014, 05:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquacat2

Hello :)
I'm off to DLRP in Feb and I was wondering how much spending money to take? I have half board plus and photopass + added so I won't need to worry about them.
I haven't been since 2007 so a few suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Newport Bay Club- 2006
Ranch Davy Crockett - 2007
Hotel Santa Fe - 2015

KentDisney

That really depends on what you plan to do! How many nights are you there for? With Half Board you won't have to worry so much about food, I definitely recommend using your vouchers for dinner rather than lunch. Food in the parks is pretty expensive, I usually tend to exit and head for McDonald's or Earl of Sandwich in the Village which tends to be a little better value.

If you plan to buy a lot of merchandise, or want to have enough money to buy something that catches your eye then keep in mind you may need a little more!

aquacat2

We are going for four days, I will probably end up buying a few pins and some souvenirs but I can't imagine buying anything to extravagant
Newport Bay Club- 2006
Hotel Santa Fe - 2015

Fluffymilly

Everything is really expensive but also really lovely so I usually take as many euros as I can possibly manage on the basis that I can always bring them home again! My daughter on the other hand takes her bank card with her just in case but that might be a bit risky!!

littlebitofpixiedust

I usually take €400-€500 on each trip 4/5 days usually and I don't use the meal vouchers so that includes food for both me and my son. I also come back with change on most occasions :) like said above depends on what you buy souvenir wise? I think last trip I came back with €150 from €400 and that included many key rings (my son collects them) a balloon and few other bits and bobs.

We usually skip lunch and have snacks that we take from home the breakfast is plentiful and we have a main meal/dessert at dinner time. Taking our own snacks/drinks saves a small fortune so that's something to consider :) have fun!

aquacat2

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :)
Newport Bay Club- 2006
Hotel Santa Fe - 2015

littlebitofpixiedust

What dates in feb btw? We're there 15-18 :)

Sulley15

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on January 03, 2015, 07:08:39 AM
What dates in feb btw? We're there 15-18 :)

I going 16 till 20! The kids are getting excited!

Last time we took way to much money, we came back with loads! Spend what you are happy to spend, you can get carried away and I know my kids were. So we were there all week we asked them to think what they wanted and generally got it later that day or next day in the Disney village.

The meal vouchers is a great idea but need to spend the value to make them worth it. We found the plaza as it was a buffet service and we had fussy eaters at the time. I would say stop off and get some drinks before you get to Disney. We drove so we put a selection of drinks and snacks in the car.
New York hotel March 2013
Cheyenne February 2015
Newport bay Compass room February 2017

aquacat2

I'm there 1-4th Feb, I can't wait :)
Newport Bay Club- 2006
Hotel Santa Fe - 2015

Sulley15

Quote from: aquacat2 on January 03, 2015, 12:39:01 PM
I'm there 1-4th Feb, I can't wait :)

Have to let us know how it was with a trip report! Have a good trip, would of loved to gone for one of the kids birthday but it's term time....
New York hotel March 2013
Cheyenne February 2015
Newport bay Compass room February 2017

aquacat2

To be honest that's exactly why I went, working shifts meant I didn't get any time off over Christmas but cheaper and quieter holidays more than make up for it!
I'm probably going to take about £350, if I have anything left over I can just get my bank to buy it back!

I will do a trip report, I have even bought a DLP notebook from the Disney store for some notes
Newport Bay Club- 2006
Hotel Santa Fe - 2015

stormflm595

i always go for 4 nights, 3 days, though the last day is just for travel, so 4 days in the parks and village. I take 500 euros with me every trip, since i don't do the meal plans and like to go to at least 2 of the more pricey places such as cafe mickey etc. i also always buy quite a lot of merch...for example last yer i came home with 2 on ride photos, the 20 year anniversary book, 3 figurines, a big snow globe, a smaller snow globe, the obligatory princess cup, fridge magnets, princess crown, a rapunzel canvas...i'm sure there was more. i always come home with some money so i take more to make sure i don't have to worry and to also allow myself to splurge on at least one item that i can't get from anywhere else than the park.
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

DisneyRon

Generally I just charge everything to my EasyPass you get from the hotel, which adds it all to your hotel tab. :)

At checkout you can just pay it with your debit or credit card and all done. :D

Fluffymilly

Woah! Disney Ron that sounds scary! I like to use cash, keeping it in the safe and carrying what I need each day. I think I might get too carried away using my easypass :)

DisneyRon

Quote from: Fluffymilly on January 09, 2015, 01:03:41 AM
Woah! Disney Ron that sounds scary! I like to use cash, keeping it in the safe and carrying what I need each day. I think I might get too carried away using my easypass :)

That is mainly a matter of keeping a mental list of what you really want to get and not get too much more than that. Not always easy to resist getting something cool you see, but I do try. :)

Over my last visit (5 days in total) my tab was around €430, and that included the cost of medication (two sets), a visit by the emergency doctor at 5 in the morning and partial payment for a dinner at the California Grill and a whole bunch of cocktails. In all not above what I had anticipated. ;)