Any Counter Service recommendations?

Started by MJ6987, October 13, 2014, 02:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ6987

Hi,
We have booked and are planning for a first family trip to DLRP at the end of June / beginning of July next year.  There are 2 adults and 2 girls (16 and 12) going for 5 days / 4 nights.

We will not be on a Meal Plan as our daughters are VERY fussy due to ASD (in terms of restaurants, think fries, nuggets, fish fingers level!).

We are planning a breakfast at Cafe Mickeys for the characters (our girls probably won't eat much or anything there) and maybe a sit down meal at Rainforest Cafe (they will eat something there) and perhaps Annette's Diner (ditto).

But...does anyone have any recommendations for nice Counter Service places to eat where it is NOT just burgers, hot dogs and nuggets (note I don't mind running to somewhere nearby if the girls won't eat anything there and bringing their food along)?  I found a lot of nice CS places at WDW but don't know DLRP at all.

Thanks
:)

polar vixen

I can't recommend counter service as we don't use it but I can recommend plaza gardens buffet as there's plenty to choose from works very well for us ( 2 of my bits have asd too)

gige3982

We didn't use many of the counter service restaurants, mainly McDonald's and Earl of Sandwich in the Village.  I loved Earl of Sandwich, found the quality really good,

twentythingamabobs

I think we have tried all of the Counter Service restaurants at one point or another!! I recommend Hakuna Matata (chicken dishes with rice/chips), Bella Note (Italian - pizza or pasta), Toad of Toad Hall (fish and chips!) There is one near Big Thunder Mountain, the name escapes me, but it does delicious Tex Mex style with chicken wings and onion rings.

DisneyRon

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on October 13, 2014, 03:54:27 PM
I think we have tried all of the Counter Service restaurants at one point or another!! I recommend Hakuna Matata (chicken dishes with rice/chips), Bella Note (Italian - pizza or pasta), Toad of Toad Hall (fish and chips!) There is one near Big Thunder Mountain, the name escapes me, but it does delicious Tex Mex style with chicken wings and onion rings.

I'm assuming you mean the "Last Chance Café?" ;D
http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/last-chance-cafe/

Esti

Both Colonel Hathi's (Adventureland) and Pizzeria Bella Notte (Fantasyland) are Italian style: pizza, pasta or lasagna (plus a side dish, dessert and drinks). Cowboy Cookout Barbacue (Frontierland) does have hamburgers/nuggets, but also half a chicken and pork ribs.
Toad Hall (Fantasyland) serves fish and chips. Hakuna Matata (Adventureland) has chicken dishes, and although it's not my favourite place to eat, it's fine. Fuente del Oro (Frontierland) has Tex-Mex food, tacos and enchiladas, basically. Food comes out reaaaaaally slowly, so by the time you get it, it's not very warm.

You also have buffets, which will be around 20€. Plaza Gardens, in Main Street, is incredible. So much food! Café Agrabah in Adventureland has kinda middle eastern style food, I think? And Pizza Planet in Discoveryland has pizza and pasta, but it seems it's not open very often...

WiteHypno

The only counter service restaurant my sis and I went to was Colonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

As previously stated it's italian style food, I had one of the pizza pre-set menus (can't remember if there was more than one) with a side salad and it was lovely.
It was fairly quiet as well, which was nice, so I'd recommend there for cheap fast-food.  :D

MJ6987

Thanks all. Sounds like some good options there.  :D

never2old

We love Hakuna Matata, their chicken in African sauce is really yummy.

Toad Hall is also really good, fish & chips and a very tasty chicken burger.

We haven't been there in a while, but the Cowboy Cookout Barbecue used to be really good as well, best barbecue sauce around!

Andybear

I only go to counter service restaurants as portions are generous and prices are reasonable. I love Hakuna Matata in Adventureland and Cowboy Cookout Barbecue in Frontierland. The Lucky Nugget in Frontierland is good too.

DisneyRon

Seconding Andy's recommendation of Hakuna Matata, lovely food in generous portions. ^_^

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: Esti on October 13, 2014, 05:37:09 PM
You also have buffets, which will be around 20€. Plaza Gardens, in Main Street, is incredible. So much food! Café Agrabah in Adventureland has kinda middle eastern style food, I think? And Pizza Planet in Discoveryland has pizza and pasta, but it seems it's not open very often...

Both Plaza Gardens and Agrabah Café are around 30€ and not 20€.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

FoX

My experience with counterservice food in the park is that it's horrible. It's very expensive and tastes like it has been heated in a microwave. Counterfood outside the park in Disneyvillage is quite ok actually. I really liked Earl of Sandwich since they have a wide range of various sandwiches for a reasonable price.

Esti

Quote from: DLRPWonders on October 18, 2014, 11:47:04 AM

Both Plaza Gardens and Agrabah Café are around 30€ and not 20€.

23,49€ Plaza Gardens, 25,49€  Agrabah Café, drinks not included (but you get a jug of water), if I'm not mistaken. I went to Plaza Gardens last month and I paid less than 25€, that's for sure.

MinnieMum

I went in hakuna Makata today just for a drink and we wished we had eaten there, the food looked and smelt amazing. Also earl of sandwich in the village is good and I was pleasantly suprised by the big place in the studios x