[Rumour] Marvel to be theme for third park?

Started by Kristof, July 31, 2014, 11:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

A Marvel Park for Disneyland Paris has been rumoured for a few years since Philippe Gas himself hinted at it during an interview a few years back. 

Yesterday Twitter user "Peter de Gooyert" tweeted this:

QuoteNew rumor per WDW1947 on WDWMagic forum, Marvel attractions for Studio's Paris are off the table. Euro Disney wants Marvel for third gate.

You can probably take this with a grain of salt, but it's a good start for a discussion about the idea. What do you think? Is the Marvel Universe big enough to support a whole park? Will it work in Europe? Discuss!

msRavenswood

A Marvel Universe park sounds like a very promising plan. Super heroes appeal to both youngsters and older people and since there is nothing similar here in Europe I think it will draw big crowds. Plus, the Spiderman meet & greet has proved to be a big success, which indicates that people are attracted to this kind of theming.

DisneyRon

The Marvel universe is more than large enough to support its own park, and with the recent set of very successful movie translations of Marvel Comics, I don't doubt that it would draw sufficient people to sustain itself.

Sure, comic book culture is a little less prevalent in Europe compared to the USA, but the Marvel films have done rather well here, so basing a park around those IPs should work just fine I think.

Ceh

Not really a fan of this idea... Marvel just doesn't fit the Disney Universe, that's more something I expect in an universal or any other themepark really. I hope this doesn't happen.

msRavenswood

Quote from: Ceh on July 31, 2014, 11:35:10 AM
Not really a fan of this idea... Marvel just doesn't fit the Disney Universe, that's more something I expect in an universal or any other themepark really. I hope this doesn't happen.

You might be right, but does Star Wars actually fit the Disney Universe? How about Indiana Jones? I know that when we think of Disney, Mickey Mouse & friends or princesses is the first thing that comes into our mind, but there should be elements that appeal to everyone. Perhaps when Star Tours first opened in Disneyland in 1987 there were people who thought it didn't fit in the Disney experience. I can't say that I care too much about a Marvel themed park, but any new additions are welcome!   ;)

erider

I am the person who posted the Twitter message. WDW1974 is a well respected insider on the WDWMagic forums, and has connections in Disney management and WDI. That's why I think this rumor has some legs to it.

I wonder when they will build this third park. Marvel is hot right now, so I hope they don't wait too long to get Marvel into the parks. If this third park is still at least 10 years away, then who knows how popular Marvel still is.
And what will they do with the ugly Backlot at WDS?

I don't have a problem with a third park being Marvel. People mention it's a better fit with Universal, but since we don't have a Universal park in Europa I think they could do it.

Discovery_Mountain

Id much rather them them put it all in a third park so I don't have to see it! However again I would much rather them build a unique theme park.

I really hope they don't put Mavel in the backlot I kind of like it. Plus I love Rock 'n' Roll A Coaster how it is, its an amazing ride and I think it would ruin it with a marvel re theme.
My Disneyland Paris Trips:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (1 Day Trips)

March 2012, 2 days at Kyriad Hotel
June 2013, 2 days at Dream Castle Hotel
December 2013, 6 days at Sequoia Lodge
December 2014, 6 days at The Disneyland Hotel
December 2015 6 Days at Sequoia Lodge GF

Planned Holidays:
February 2016 - 3 days at Sequoia Lodge GF
November 2016 - Walt Disney World  (Maybe)

Malin

When did he write this news? Because it sounds almost identical to something Leemac wrote last Friday on the LaughingPlace discussion boards. A discussion that this particular user also contributed. Sounds like he's just repeated news from someone else.  http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-129511-P-2.asp

itslizi

Whilst Marvel is hot right now, I swear my boyfriend told me that they have a good amount of years planned out with new film releases, so it could be hot for some years to come.

I would like to see Marvel come to Disneyland Paris as I do like all of the Avengers, though it's a stretch to like everyone within the Marvel franchise.

In Disney Stores around the UK, you can find Marvel and Star Wars merchandise and wouldn't mind visiting the park and seeing a similar mix. If Marvel has its own park, that will mean if you're not a fan you wouldn't experience anything of that if you don't bother with that park. I would sooner it had its own park than being mixed into the existing parks.

Alexz

Quote from: msRavenswood on July 31, 2014, 11:18:36 AM
A Marvel Universe park sounds like a very promising plan. Super heroes appeal to both youngsters and older people and since there is nothing similar here in Europe I think it will draw big crowds. Plus, the Spiderman meet & greet has proved to be a big success, which indicates that people are attracted to this kind of theming.
I'm with you. Exactly what I was about to write.

Quote from: itslizi on July 31, 2014, 12:42:06 PM
Whilst Marvel is hot right now, I swear my boyfriend told me that they have a good amount of years planned out with.
Yep!
http://screenrant.com/marvel-studios-movies-schedule-releases-2028/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Marvel_Comics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_based_on_Marvel_Comics

A lot of movies and tv series are planned and in the works. I think Marvel will only grow bigger. So the Marvel Universe can certainly support a whole park with new stuff for many years to come.
My previous Disney trips:
Tokyo Disneyland: March 1998
Walt Disney World: March 2008 /*\ New Years 2011 /*\ April 2013 /*\ October 2015
Disneyland Paris: September 2013 /*\ July 2015
Disneyland California: August 2016 (Honeymoon)

Upcoming trips:
Disneyland Paris: Spring 2020?
Walt Disney World: 2021 or 2022
Hong Kong Disneyland: -
Shanghai Disneyland: -

pampenguin

I can't say Marvel is my favorite theme, but I think it will be great for the resort. I'm not a harry potter fan either but the land in florida is done so well it doesn't matter, so i'd hope for the same here :)
Instagram: Pampenguin1

DisneyfanGermany

I really like this idea!

With Marvel, we would have the great opportunity of a park full of rollercoasters and new shows (there are many possibilities I think).

(But don't forget about WDS)
Disneyland Paris: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 (Jan.), 2014 (March), 2014 (July), 2014 (Oct.), 2015 (Jan.)
Walt Disney World: 2004
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2014 (April)

future visits: Walt Disney World (July 2015)

Instagram: marc_leder
Instagram: disneyland_paris_photos

other theme park visits: Universal Singapore, Movie Park Germany, Legoland Germany, Fort Fun, and many others!

erider

Quote from: Malin on July 31, 2014, 12:33:52 PM
When did he write this news? Because it sounds almost identical to something Leemac wrote last Friday on the LaughingPlace discussion boards. A discussion that this particular user also contributed. Sounds like he's just repeated news from someone else.  http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-129511-P-2.asp

Right here, post number 12457: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirited-seventh-heaven.884731/page-623

seraphelle

I really think Marvel would be a good addition. Although I agree this kind of thing may not have as much of a following as it does in America, the argument could be because there is nothing for us this side of the pond? I know a lot of people who debate yearly between San Diego Comic Con and Disneyland and always (sometimes begrudgingly) choose Disneyland because of others within the family and so on, it would be lovely for all the family to be catered for in Paris. I may only be speaking for my family here but I know my husband would be far less inclined to moan about the cost of Disneyland if there was a Marvel area we could 'lose' him in whilst we did Princessy things  ;)
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

Sulley's Arms

For me, a Marvel park would be great - I would expect the rides to probably be faster, more high octane maybe, in contrast to the Fantasyland type rides aimed at really young visitors (by the way, Fantasyland is one of my favourite areas of DLP, so I'm not knocking it!).

Having a dedicated park would also remove the likelihood of Marvel creeping into the existing parks because, frankly, Disney & Marvel don't mix; they're just owned by the same company.

I imagine a future where you would get up in a morning and decide which universe you'd like to be enveloped in for the day!  I like that idea.

Let's face it, if it had the Marvel equivalent of a Princess Pavilion, who wouldn't want to queue to meet Black Widow?  ::)
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]