Reasonably priced parking near St Pancras

Started by daddyof2, April 19, 2014, 07:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyof2

I was thinking of our domestic travel options for our trip in June, and thought I'd see how expensive it would be to park near St Pancras - I wasn't expecting it to be cheap. I did a search on the net, which led me to www.parkatmyhouse.com. Following a search on there, I found one beneath Euston Station at a rate of £6 a day. I know it doesn't always come up so cheap (currently showing £14 a day for the same dates) but may well be worth a look if you don't want to face public transport. Also, it has the benefit of being able to shove the kids in the car when we return and they can doze on the drive home. One drawback is having to drive into central London, but it is outside the congestion zone.

HFJohnson

To be honest, if you have to drive to catch the Eurostar I would catch it from Ebbsfleet or Ashford rather than St Pancras if I could. Both are much easier to drive to and you can park from £5 a day.

daddyof2

I live in Luton, and had planned to get the train into London (straight to St Pancras) but reconsidered my options. Ebbsfleet and Ashford are convenient if you live in Kent, less so if you live somewhere like North London or Oxford

sew109

Taking the traffic on the Holloway road and around kings x and the fact that Ebbsfleet is 15 minutes or less from the Dartford crossing even from Luton I would chose that over driving to central London

Samninetysix

St Pancras isn't central London but it's still crappy to drive to. The real downside to Ebbsfleet and Ashford is the traffic and congestion around the Dartford Crossing, many times I've seen queues for miles either side and thought about people sat there waiting, not moving with a train of ferry to catch. We have driven down the M11 before and parked at Redbridge Tube which was about £5/day then gone into London that way. Last time we went on Eurostar, we stayed at a hotel a few hundred metres away from St Pancras station for a night and simply walked across Euston Road in the morning. We priced up catching an early train from where we live in Suffolk to Kings Cross on the morning of our trip but because it would be at peak travel times going into London it was something like £190 return for 2 adults, compare that to £208 return from London to Disney!!

byron-james

QuoteI live in Luton, and had planned to get the train into London (straight to St Pancras) but reconsidered my options.

Please reconsider your reconsideration :) I live in St Albans so get the same train into St Pancras as you. I think being able to travel to Paris/DLP from where I live with just one changeover makes it one of the most pleasant, hassle free international journeys in the world.

I don't know all your reasons but I kind of see the train as a no-brainer. It can, however, cost quite a bit for all the single tickets especially if you have to travel during peak hours. I do think its worth the price though. According to thetrainline based on an adult:

Peak - £16.40
Off peak - £14.30
Super off peak - £9.40
Disneyland Paris - 1996
Walt Disney World - 1998
Disneyland Paris - 2011
Disneyland Paris - 2012
Disneyland - 2013?

daddyof2

I'm no stranger to the train - I use it every day. However, with me, my wife, a 3 year old, a 1 year old, luggage and a pushchair in the morning peak having to get to Luton station and then battle the commuter crowds; and then do the return journey it seemed more practical to be able to drive to within walking distance of St Pancras. Like I said, it's an alternative that will work for some and not others. I'm comfortable with driving into Camden, I've done it plenty of times and I would rather do that than battle the queues at Clackett Lane. I have no problem with anyone that finds Ebbsfleet or Ashford more convenient, nor those that want to use the train/tube/bus/coach. I just don't believe that driving to St Pancras isn't the best option for some people. On a personal note, St Pancras station is a much more aesthetically pleasing experience than either of the Kent stations.

Samninetysix

Quote from: daddyof2 on May 15, 2014, 11:46:39 PM
On a personal note, St Pancras station is a much more aesthetically pleasing experience than either of the Kent stations.

Very, very true - at least you can relax properly at St Pancras :)

WalkerboyUK

We've done Eurostar the last 2 visits and just caught a train down to Euston and then walked along to St Pancras.  Painless and relatively inexpensive (I have season ticket so get reduction).
Flying from Heathrow this time though to get a few more hours in the park.......