Preloaded debit cards. Anyone used Post Office one?

Started by Mrsya, April 14, 2014, 10:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrsya

What is the best preloaded debit card to use at disneyland? My local post office mentioned to me that my Visa credit card from HSBC charges a hidden 3% and said the post office Visa card is fee free...I don't know much about these cards but figure its safer than walking around with hundreds of euros every day!

jackieann

Hi.
I've not used this yet, but think I will for my next trip.  I was offered it in thomas cook. Think it seems safer

Princessjo

We did the Thomas cook one for vegas last year and worked perfectly - just need to monitor your spending  :)
Give a little whistle

byron-james

I have used prepaid cards on two trips to america and highly recommend them. I've used both the Post Office and FairFx. FairFx have a better exchange rate but you have to allow up to 9 days for card delivery (mine came in 3) whereas you can get your card right away at the Post Office.

The cards work great, just like a debit card, and are accepted anywhere that accepts Visa/Mastercard. Both companies now have smartphone apps for you to check your balance, top-up etc.

The best thing about them is, once loaded, you know exactly how many Euros or Dollars you have to spend on holiday and if you lose the card, you don't lose the money (there is a card replacement fee).

The disadvantages are they charge if you draw cash from an ATM (about £/$/€1-3) and you cant change any unspent money back into pounds. I would recommend taking about 80% on a prepaid card and 20% in cash just in case somewhere doesn't accept cards. But try to use the card money up so if you're left with any leftover money it's in cash which you can exchange back into pounds if you wish.

Hope this helps
Disneyland Paris - 1996
Walt Disney World - 1998
Disneyland Paris - 2011
Disneyland Paris - 2012
Disneyland - 2013?

captain rocket

i have a Post Office credit card that I use abroad.It has all the usual advantages of a credit card but does not have any extra costs for using abroad and you can buy your Euros from your local Post office and it is treated as a normal purchase so you do not incur cash withdrawal charges that you get with standard cards.Also, as it is a credit card, you are not restricted by any limit except your credit limit for that item that you just have to buy!

Gemma W

Ooo that's really interesting thank you for posting! I was wondering about this too and if you got charged etc when abroad. Does seem like a much safer way to carry your cash around! Thank you!

orangarnold

I have a post office card for my trips away, it's not the best exchange rate but when you compare it to using a credit or bank card it works out cheaper. I find its most useful for things like buying train tickets and things like that. I also use mine for buying entry tickets and such like online where you have to spend it euros to avoid the processing fee banks charge

Slimy yet satisfying

We use a Thomas Cook card for Disney but only for purchases meals etc. Dont recommend using it for withdrawing cash as you are charged per withdrawal. You can keep the card valid if you top it up occasionally otherwise they expire between 12 and 18 months after last use ( check with the card issuer) even if there is money still on the card. Unless there is lots of money left on the card it is usually not worth applying to have it refunded as there will be cash in costs. So with those charges its worth checking that you are not better off with your normal visa.  Saying that my dd used both Thomas Cook and Post office for a long stay in South Africa much safer than having cash in her pocket. We topped it up by £50 every time as we could see her balance online at home. This meant if a card was lost or stolen there was only a max of £50 on it and not all her holiday spending.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Samninetysix

Yep, would definitely recommend a Thomas Cook card, we use them at Disney all the time and there's a freephone number on the back that you can call to check your balance at any time

Mrsya

Thanks for all your replies. I had been told that I can have any unspent money on the card refunded back to me in pounds but they didn't mention that there was a charge. Anyone know what this charge is? How much?

orangarnold

Quote from: Mrsya on April 15, 2014, 09:05:47 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I had been told that I can have any unspent money on the card refunded back to me in pounds but they didn't mention that there was a charge. Anyone know what this charge is? How much?

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/card#fees_&_limits there you go

Samninetysix

Quote from: Mrsya on April 15, 2014, 09:05:47 PM

Dunno, we've never managed to bring any money back with us :)

Mrsya

I can't see anywhere on that link about getting any unspent money back off the card...

gemma2806

I've used both the Post Office and Thomas Cook cards and much prefer the Thomas Cook one. They both charge a fee to refund any leftover money (sorry I can't remember what this was though) but I believe that the Post Office charge wasn't worth the fee for the amount I had left to refund. The Thomas Cook card allows you to keep any left over money on the card for a number of years as it can simply be topped up and used again within a set period of time but as someone mentioned above I've never had more than a few euros left on it!

Slimy yet satisfying

We usually keep the Thomas Cook card open and put £50 on it when the exchange rates look good. This way we are getting the most euros for our money and saving small amounts that really add up between trips.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.