Are the meal plans really worth it?

Started by glgittens85, November 15, 2013, 02:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glgittens85

I am visiting with my husband and 2.5 yr old daughter in June next year.

We have not booked any meal plans however I am torn about changing this and going for half board or full board plus.

What I want to know is if they are really worth it? I am liking the idea that all our food will be paid for in advance but I dont want to be spending the money if, whilst I am there, I could of got a better deal?

We are staying onsite (4 nights, 5 days) so breakfast is already covered - We will just be needing lunch & dinner. The plan is to eat at the buffets for dinner (except one night when we will be going to see Buffalo Bill)

captain rocket

If you have booked Bufallo Bills and are quite happy with Buffets, then I would say that it would probably be better not to book any of the plans and just pay as you go. I have a good appetite and find that after a good breakfast I will sometimes have a buffet meal at about 1500 and that is usually my lot for the day! I sometimes grab a filled baguette at the railway station and take it back to the hotel for supper, maybe having a picnic by lake Disney. Or my alternative choice for supper is Earl of Sandwich, I just love that place! The only reason I would suggest that you buy a meal plan is to budget for meals before you go.
Have a great trip!

SVioletS

If you are planning on eating at buffets, then standard meal plan is enough!

As of 3rd April 2014, there's some differences in the meal plans:

Standard/Plus/Premium meal plans will include a tea time treat = hot/cold drink plus something to eat (small cake).

New standard full board will consist of 3 vouchers: the a.m. tea time treat; and 2 vouchers for dinner and lunch at buffet restaurants. (at the moment standard full board option is for counter service at lunch and buffet at dinner time.

There is also a new meal plan for dinner only at the hotel buffet restaurant (half board) + counter service lunch in the parks (full board). This meal plan doesn't include tea time treat.

I find meal plans really good for budgeting, but not so much for saving! But i like to know my meals are taken care of!

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

glgittens85

Thanks for the responses - It is simply the idea that all meals are taken care of that appeals to me

The sound of the Standard full board seems good - I like the thought of the tea time treat. Plus the fact you can use both lunch and dinner vouchers at the buffetts is quite attractive.

I am trying to convince DH to go with the vouchers and he is more focused of the savings side of things. I am sure if you do it right then there will be a saving somewhere, even if it is not as big as Disney make it out to be. Or am I being naive?!

SVioletS

If you eat in the same category of restaurants and choose the set menu (if you go plus you will have a set menu in table service restaurants) then it will save you some money. If you use the vouchers for their face value in a restaurant of different category or choose a la carte, then you wont save.
You won't receive vouchers for your daughter.
If you eat mainly in buffet restaurants then your little one you'll have a good meal for free, because she is under 3. In table service is not so easy... she can share from your plate, but you may feel it's not a very good option.
In one restaurant they ofered me a jar of baby food for my nearly 2 year old! Ahah i ended up ordering an extra child meal for her (or she shared with her sister?, can't recall).

glgittens85

This is why I was intending on sticking with the buffetts - I would prefer for my daughter to have a good meal rather than just some of mine. She likes trying new food too so she will be able to give a variety of things a go!

Hmmm.... I am still torn on what to do. Its all so confusing! Lol

SVioletS

We have been twice.

First time DD1 was 3 and a half - we had counter service for lunch, except one day we went to Auberge de Cendrillon; and at night we went to Annete's Diner; Café Mickey; La Grange at Billy Bob's (buffet) and Buffet restaurant at New Port Bay Hotel.

Second time, DD1 was 5 and a half and DD2 was 21 months old - again we had counter service for lunch; and dinner we went to Café Mickey; buffet restaurant at Sequoia Lodge; Walt's; the Steakhouse.

Next time i'm considering having Sunday Brunch at Inventions (it's DD1 7th bday); and for dinner Café Mickey, Walts, Blue Lagoon, Annete's Diner and The Steakhouse/Beaver Creek at Sequoia Lodge. I think we will go half board plus. Still hoping for a free half board offer! ;)

Decisions, decisions, decisions :)

daddyof2

We're going with our 3 year old and 2 year old in June, and I'm not paying for any meals up front - I want to be flexible and not have to worry about temperamental toddlers eating habits.

Thescrummymummy

We went in June dd1 was 4 dd2 nearly 3
We did full board plus and was worth every penny, blue lagoon gave dd2 chips and veg for free!
We are going in feb and going to do full board plus again but will have to pay for dd2.
We didn't have a bad meal

tubbsy

We have used the premium but I have two adult (well, one is 12!) children who are real foodies. So we find the vouchers handy. We have prepaid for meals, but should someone fancy something off the menu then thats fine as "The holiday is fully paid for" if you get the idea.
We find we dont need the full board-we would be waddling around the park!
And definately buffets are the way to go.
We love Blue Lagoon too.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Nicknocks

Hi sorry for jumping in on your post. Do you have to pay for a meal plan for a 2 year old? My DS will be 2 when we go and im thinking that if we stick to the buffets the half board meal plan would be enought for us. The will be myself, DP , DD and DS going, my current plan is to stock up on breakfast stuffing some extra bits in my DS changing bag for snacks and taking water bottles to fill up around the park. Then eat at a buffet at say 3/4 in the afternoon. This should 'fill us up' for the day. I will bring some snacks and bits for in the evening in the hotel room.

never2old

Quote from: Nicknocks on January 10, 2014, 03:05:22 PM
Hi sorry for jumping in on your post. Do you have to pay for a meal plan for a 2 year old? My DS will be 2 when we go and im thinking that if we stick to the buffets the half board meal plan would be enought for us. The will be myself, DP , DD and DS going, my current plan is to stock up on breakfast stuffing some extra bits in my DS changing bag for snacks and taking water bottles to fill up around the park. Then eat at a buffet at say 3/4 in the afternoon. This should 'fill us up' for the day. I will bring some snacks and bits for in the evening in the hotel room.

No, children under 3 don't need to pay for meals. If you go for buffets, it means they eat for free  :D

hawian rollercoaster

Can you use vouchers to take away from annettes diner ?

hawian rollercoaster

Also can you order wine with your meal in a premimum resturant with a premimum plus voucher to make up the value of the voucher ?

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: hawian rollercoaster on January 18, 2014, 08:02:48 PM
Also can you order wine with your meal in a premimum resturant with a premimum plus voucher to make up the value of the voucher ?
Sure can :)

Quote from: hawian rollercoaster on January 18, 2014, 08:00:14 PM
Can you use vouchers to take away from annettes diner ?

Sure can too :)
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts