To upgrade or not to upgrade

Started by daddyof2, November 11, 2013, 02:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyof2

Hmm, other topics on here have made me think. We're booked up for a standard room at HNY next June, but I'm wondering whether to stick with that plan. Is the cost of changing to Empire State Club or standard room at DLH worth it? DLH would come with the added convenience, but when I priced it originally was about £500 more (which seems like a lot). I could just save my money for other things of course...

never2old

Are you going during a very busy period?

Unless you really want to get a VIP fastpass, I wouldn't bother with the upgrade from the standard rooms to the Empire State Club. I didn't think it was worth it.

I can't objectively comment about the DLH though, I love it there and I would stay there every time if I could... But I'm not sure it's worth 500 pounds more... Think of all the nice meals or merchandise you could have instead!!

Samninetysix

We just got a great deal for the DLH through the Envie de + email. 2 nights in February for £421.16, complete bargain compared to the Halloween price.

stitch147

For what I use the hotel for, sleeping, getting ready and having breakfast, I always think its not really worth upgrading. Im not in the hotel long enough to need an upgrade!

SVioletS

Have you considered the Golden Forest rooms in Sequoia Lodge?
They come with additional perks and not as expensive as ESC...

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

haribosmum

I looked to upgrade to ESC from normal HNY.  To be honest I'm glad we didn't and instead we just treated ourselves when we wanted to in regards to food, snacks and gifts.  I look at the cost and think it could go towards another trip :-)  I have stayed in DLH twice but booked to go back to HNY this year as found it suited us perfectly.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

daddyof2

It's partly the convenience of DLH being right on the doorstep, with 2 children who will be 3 and a half, and 2 years old they'll probably benefit from naps and/or "quiet time" which would be that bit easier without the extra walk. There's the extra (?) luxury, though having stayed at HNY on my only previous visit, it's luxurious enough for me. I get the feeling that there is more character interaction at DLH - am I right? Also, it would be a surprise for my wife who knows we're staying at HNY. I don't think we'll go to Sequioa Lodge, which I do like the look of but would maybe work better when the kids are older, particularly if we did a Winter visit. Maybe I'll just book some extras - character meals, etc...

never2old

Oh, with little children in need of naps or quiet time, the DLH is perfect!! I don't know about your little ones but my daughter, if she falls asleep in her pushchair, it's very difficult to move her without waking her up, and once she's awake, she usually doesn't go back to sleep... The walk from the park to the New York was enough for her to fall asleep, and after that we had to leave her in her push chair (and least in the peace and quiet of the room). Of course it was in May and although weather wasn't great, she wasn't wearing a heavy coat or anything so she was comfortable enough to sleep, and June should be even better.... Still, if we had been staying in the DLH, it would have been a lot easier!!

It also means you don't need to take too many nappies (if they're still on nappies), or lots of extra clothes in case of accidents, you can quickly pop back into your room if you need anything...

And finally there's the closing time and Dreams.... Last May Dreams was on at 21:30 or 22:00 depending on the day, I'm guessing next June could be similar. If you want to take turns to go and see Dreams while one of you stays in the room with the children if they're sleeping, it's very quick!

So anyway, I'm changing my mind, I think you should go for the DLH. And take me with you, now I want to go there too....  ;D

daddyof2

If you can a) fit in my suitcase, b) babysit my kids, c) sleep on the floor, than you've got a chance :)

never2old

Samninetysix

Book into the Sleeping Beauty Suite and I'll do it!! :)

daddyof2

If I could afford that, I wouldn't have time to be on here

daddyof2

OK, this issue is resolved - I've called and the cost would be about £900. Hotel New York here we come!

Mac

You would have been fine at either one although as Never2 said, it is good for families with younger children for convenience. However, as yours are both still 3 and 2 the New York in my opinion is one the adults can enjoy more. I think it is one of the most beautifully decorated, well themed and nicest Hotels. When the kids are a little older and can appreciate the Hotels more then get a good deal on DLH, you'll probably appreciate the convenience factor more too at that stage! =) ºoº
ºoº☆¨*:•.1992 Opening Week (Disneyland Hotel).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.1994 (Hotel New York).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.1998 (Hotel Cheyenne).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2001-2004 Cast Member (Moteurs... Action!).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2005-2010 (Hotel New York).•:*¨☆ºoº -
ºoº☆¨*:•.2011 (Disneyland Hotel).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2012 Christmas (Hotel New York).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2013 Jan/Feb/May/Sept/Oct.•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2013 Christmas (Sequoia Lodge).•:*¨☆ºoº - ºoº☆¨*:•.2014 January (Santa Fe)/June/July.•:*¨☆ºoº