TGV prices....AM I missing something

Started by abloomer, October 21, 2013, 05:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abloomer

Hi All, going to DLRP between 15th and 17th November this year.

Flying in to CDG airport.  I thought I would book the TGV as it is so quick.  went onto Rail europe, and they want £100 for me and my wife for a return journey.

Am I missing something?  is there a cheaper way to book?

Any advice greatly received!!

captain rocket

This is probably one of the most expensive railway journeys in Europe!!! I went last week and the return fare was £41.00. £25.00 seems to be the full fare when they have sold all the "cheap" seats so you are probably paying the full fare x 4.  Maybe you should consider a shared private transfer, it won't be that much cheaper but is more flexible than the train.

idylles

Yeah, TGV might be quick but it's the most expensive.  As you have noticed.  It all depends though, how old you are and when you're booking.  Prices vary between £40-100 depending on those things.  I think you can try to book another train trip, with a few stops.  I'm not sure how it works from where you're traveling though, I travel from Belgium so it might be easier for me because it's one rail.
A dream is a wish your heart makes.

gemma2806

If you want to get a train from CDG don't take the TGV take the RER. There is a direct line to Disneyland Paris and it's just as convenient. The prices are supposed to be very reasonable. I've only ever caught it once and that was going from Disney one stop down the line to val d'Europe but it only cost €7 euros return for myself, partner and our son. I think it takes about 30 mins to get from CDG to Disney this way.

nathalie

You must be able to book the TGV 3 months in advance of your visit, that's the only way you can get the cheapest tickets.
From Brussels to DLRP, I pay 58 € for both ways like that.

The longer you wait to book, the faster those cheap tickets are gone and the price will get higher and higher.

captain rocket

To be fair, Natalie, that is not the case when buying in the UK. The lowest one way fare is £16 and the most expensive £41. I have bought my ticket at CDG for the lowest amount and have also paid the highest there! I have booked well in advance and been charged £25 and when I have looked later ie nearer departure the fare has gone down!

nathalie

Clearly works different in the UK then.  I've also heard different stories about the Eurostar to DLRP when coming from the UK.

While Eurostar works the same way as the TGV over here.
When I go to London, I have to book 3 months in advance too, to get the cheapest tickets.  The longer you wait, the more expensive it gets.

Samninetysix

I checked with Eurostar for wifey and self next February return from St Pancras to DLP and it's £34.50 each outward, £54.50 coming back which I thought was pretty reasonable as it usually costs me upwards of £250 return by car on Eurotunnel

emsamess

I might be wrong, but did not think it was possible to take the RER direct from CDG, you had to go into Paris first.

We used the TGV last year and bought the tickets on the platform, they were actually cheaper due to the price being in Euros/exchange rate.

The TGV journey was a nightmare. As it was only 10 minutes, it was not worth taking our seats, so we stood in the foyer with luggage and moaning 5 year old. The TGV was late leaving CDG (I was told that this was a frequent occurrence), many people stood outside of the train having a quick last ciggie and the foyer soon filled with smoke. We were then pushed from pillar to post by people wanting the loo. This was on top of the 1.5 hour wait for the train. We all agreed that the TGV was the worst part of the holiday and we would not be doing it again.

orangarnold

For the RER you have to go into Paris and out again.

I bought tickets for the TGV on the day for €17.50, granted not the cheapest journey, but really quick and stress free

Elaine

Quote from: emsamess on October 22, 2013, 01:03:44 PM
I might be wrong, but did not think it was possible to take the RER direct from CDG, you had to go into Paris first.

We used the TGV last year and bought the tickets on the platform, they were actually cheaper due to the price being in Euros/exchange rate.

The TGV journey was a nightmare. As it was only 10 minutes, it was not worth taking our seats, so we stood in the foyer with luggage and moaning 5 year old. The TGV was late leaving CDG (I was told that this was a frequent occurrence), many people stood outside of the train having a quick last ciggie and the foyer soon filled with smoke. We were then pushed from pillar to post by people wanting the loo. This was on top of the 1.5 hour wait for the train. We all agreed that the TGV was the worst part of the holiday and we would not be doing it again.

so really, it would have been worth your while taking your allocated seats when you first got on the train?

I don't use the TGV from CDG to DLP, as I find a shared shuttle with rstransports quicker, way more convenient, and often cheaper too.

But I do like the TGV back from DLP to CDG on my last day, as its definitely the quickest way, its very convenient, and its usually at the lowest TGV price at the time of day i'm using it on our last day.

captain rocket

Orangarnold, I think that price is the lowest you will get on the TGV! I'm going again next month and the fare is £16.00 each way. I like the speed and convenience of the TGV, I always book one for about 90 minutes after I land and make a note of the train before and after the one I booked just in case of a delay or a following wind. I use the shuttles when I am arriving later in the day, just in case. In my experience there is a delay of some sort in about 30% of the journeys I have been booked on, but the average time of the"retard" is about 15 minutes.

orangarnold

Keep in mind there are zero savings for booking your ticket in advance, and always remember to validate your ticket using the yellow box otherwise you could face a fine

captain rocket

I appreciate your comment, but in about 15 return trips I have never had my ticket inspected, as I have said on here before, the TGV is en route from a major city to another major city and is usually 16 carriages long. I don't think they even try to look at any tickets until this ten minute trip is up! On my last visit two weeks ago my flight arrived early and I managed to catch an earlier train, I did'nt take up a seat in the carriage, just used a bench seat in the area between carriages, no problem on this occasion!

orangarnold

I don't think it get inspected, but why risk the chance of a €80 fine for the sake of a second job?