Your knowledge and tips needed for eating in the Parks.

Started by Ravenseye, August 11, 2013, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravenseye

So, I've done some research and calculated that I will spend around 700euros on meals (lunches and dinners) and some soft drinks in all the places I want to go to on our next trip. That's for 3 adults, for 4 days. We are staying at the SF.
This means I will have precious little left for spending on lovely things in the shops. However, as this is meant to be a celebratory trip I don't want to keep saying 'Oh we can't eat there!' and eat fast food every day  :roll:

I was hoping to get some tips from members. Which restaurant offered you the best deal/portion sizes? etc...
Disneyworld 1990
Disneyland Paris 1996, 2002, 2004, 2013, 2014...

nathalie

Depending on what you want really, with or without characters?
Are you big eaters?

I went to Rainforest Café twice in 2 months, and I had the cha-cha-meal, which is a main course and dessert for a set price.
I struggled lots to finish my plate (half a chicken with potatoe wedges), and had to leave half of the dessert as it was just way too much in total.

It was 25,50 € I believe (without drinks, which are between 4-6 I think it was).

I think the restaurants in The Village are a bit cheaper then in the park?
Thinking about Blue Lagoon, Inventions, which can be about 65-70 € per person?

Plaza Gardens was really good too, for a little under 30 € all-you-can-eat.

polar vixen

If eating out a lot, buying a meal plan may save you money, otherwise buffets are definitely the best way to go, even try them at different hotels, you can fill up so well at those, an option would be to eat a good breakfast and then have a combined late lunch/early tea around 4 and just have some snacks otherwise.

Ravenseye

Thanks for that  :thumbs:
Yes, half board deal wouldve been best bet but it wasn't an option with the company we booked with. Does anyone know if you can buy it once at Disney?
It looks like i'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and maybe not buy as many 'souvenirs'  :D
Disneyworld 1990

gemma2806

I always prefer to eat at dinner as there are some lovely restaurants whereas lunch is basically the same fast food all the time. To save money I would stock up at breakfast and make things for lunch and then you can have your evening meal and will eat it all without wasting any money and you'll have at least an extra €30-40 every day for spending on souvenirs!

jenniedisney

Heya

Like others have said it depends what you want.

If you want character dining then cafe mickey is great. Its a very popular place to go though, popular with families!!
Another good character dining place could be "inventions". This is VERY expensive, but can be well worth the money. Its a buffet meal, so you can be here as long as you like. There are characters. But it could be a "treat" to yourselves.

Central Plaza on main street is another good "celebration" meal.

There are plenty of options within the "fast food" category! Although i love the cheddar hot dogs from casey corner there are lots of other options....
Toad Hall - fish and chips
Pizza Planet - Pizza and pasta
Main st Deli - sandwiches and croques.
Bella Note - Pasta
Cowboy Cookhouse (VERY good) - BBQ
All of the above are fast food places, just without the chips and burgers

Annettes and Rainforest Cafe both are good experience places. They have sharing desserts which are really good treats for everyone and are HUGE!
Been going to Disney since October 1992.
Hotels Stayed in:
Cheyenne 1992
Disneyland Hotel 1993-Present
Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel Castle Club 2007,2008,2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Millennium Celebration 1999-2000 in Disneyland Hotel

WDW Cast Member 2016-2017
Stayed in EVERY resort on property

orangarnold

With me I found if you fancy a little bit of a Disney time out the Shopping Centre has some good spots to eat

Ravenseye

Thanks for that.
We plan to do a Plaza Gardens buffet as we had always intended to but didnt get round to it.
I also want to eat in Inventions, this may turn into a breakfast though as I understand you can do that even if you arent staying at DLH. I want to bask in the lovliness of the pink palace! :D
Annettes is a must as my son LOVES it there!

Ive never 'prepared' a lunch from the breakfast selection, and doubt I will start now.
 Has anyone ever done that though? I'd be mortified that staff would come and tell us off  :oops:

I will probably make another list of possibilities, I like to plan ahead and it makes the trip seem closer.
Soooo excited. One month to go!!  :D/
Disneyworld 1990

JediBUZ

This year we are going full board but all previous years we have always made sandwiches, bagged pain au chocolat etc from the breakfast for lunch.  We always tried to be stealth about it but to be honest I'm not sure you need to, as it seems the norm.
Tokyo APR\'04 (Day Trip)
Paris MAR\'09 (2nts) NewYork (Standard Room) HB Plus
Paris JUN\'10 (4nts) Newport Bay Club (Standard Room)
Paris OCT\'12 (4nts) Davy Crockett Ranch (Premier Plus Cabin)
Paris OCT\'13 (4nts) Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest Club) FB Premium

gemma2806

Yeah last time we were there a family opposite us were making up sandwiches etc and a new staff member came over and said to them "I'm not sure you're supposed to do that I need to check with management". A manager came over and said it was fine as everyone does it and it's kind of expected so although you can be discreet about it a lot of staff expect it!

missoverexcited

Do you take containers to put things in? I can't imagine doing it just from a logistical perspective.

abismummy

We have just come back from Disney and came back with loads of money! We paid for half board option but that would have cost less than 250 euros for 2 adults and 1 child if we hadn't. Breakfast was really filling and on a couple of days we made up rolls for lunch which was enough till around 6.30 teatime. We just wrapped the rolls in serviettes but next time will take a small coolbag to keep them a bit fresher.
We ate in the hotel the first night, it was ok but not great (Cheyenne). Next 2 nights we ate at Billy Bobs which I highly recommend. On the last day we had a late lunch at Restaurant les Stars in the Studios, there is a lifesize Remy there and the food is great! I always feel all you can eat buffets are best as there are always things you will like. I think you will be surprised at how little you will spend.

orangarnold

I always think people always over budget for Disney. I know I do!

tubbsy

We had the premium meal plans and, to be honest, a three course meal with Disneys huge portions every night is too much! So you could dine in Walts or Blue Lagoon and just do main and dessert. That would save you a few pennies.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Ravenseye

Good to read about the making lunch from breakfast stories. I guess we can see at the time if its at all possible, i'd defo be stealthy tho. And i'm only talking about a roll and maybe a croissant each. We saw people on our trip to Iceland making huge packs up and there was a sign saying 'Please order a packed lunch from reception, do not take from the breakfast buffet'.  :shock: However, we didnt see anyone stopping them.

I've got a feeling we will be too busy having fun to stop and eat anyway as this has been the case on previous trips  :D But my partner isnt a Disney nut like my son and I so I guess he will want to sit still for a while and have a leisurely lunch or dinner.
I defo want to see Remy so that's another buffet meal we can do. I do love buffets, so much choice  :thumbs:
And yes, I always over budget for holidays, so I probably have figured we will spend more than in reality we will. I shall let you know in my trip report  :)
This time in 4 weeks we will be there.........soooo exciting!
Disneyworld 1990