Meet & Greets

Started by DisneyG83, June 08, 2013, 12:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyG83

I know not everyone who goes to Disneyland Paris goes to meet the Disney characters.

I love the rides but I also love seeing my favourite Disney characters around the park, trust me, you wouldn't believe that I was 20 in November. If you're in Disneyland Paris next Sunday until Thursday and you see a young adult running around after characters, it's probably me!  ;)

Any way, last year during my visit, I only went to the Princess Pavillion to meet a Disney princess.
2 hours was a long enough wait for me and my mum.

I did manage to catch some characters around the parks like Goofy and Pluto so I was happy. However, I'm looking at the park programme and was wondering which of the meet and greets listed on there you guys would recommend the most? I mean, I noticed there was a meet and greet with 'Duffy the Disney Bear or friends' If it's not Duffy, who else should I expect to see? Silly little things like that.

Another question, the times on the programme, do they stick the times on there or is it like a guideline? If a meet and greet is said to start at 10, what time would you recommend being there by? 15 minutes beforehand? Or longer than that?

Thanks x
Hey There! Hi There! Ho There! It\'s A Disney Kind Of Day!
Just Like We Dreamed It
Do You Believe in Magic?
Magic Everywhere!

Feb. 2003 July 2012 June 2013

gemmasteele84

Depends who it is as to when to get there. If its a popular character, like buzz or mickey, get there a bit earlier as queues build up quick. Def get there early for jack sparrow because there's no designated queue system, plus it's funny to watch him run about :)
In the 'Duffy and friends' section we saw Duffy most of the time but Pluto once too. So assume its general characters.
I found all the scheduled meet and greets very well organised so didn't have a favourite. A good place to meet characters is the descent of the stars at Disneyland castle, quieter than in parks. We also saw loads just walking about in fantasyland and in the studios, sure you will see loads.

Elaine

as an adult with no kids, it can be difficult getting a photo with a character in the unqueued meet n greets. However, regardless of where you are staying, you can pop into any of the onsite hotels in the morning, before 11am, and meet the characters there (queued meet n greets and much quieter than the ones in the parks). The HNY and DLH hotels are close enough to the parks to do this quite easily on your way into the parks in the morning, and they tend to have the shortest queues.

The Descent of the Stairs at the Disneyland Hotel doesn't take place on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays, and its unqueued, so again, it can be a challenge if you have no children with you, to easily get a photo with a character there. Well worth trying though - especially on a Sunday, when the Descent of the Stairs might include some characters from the Inventions themed character brunch which will have taken place in the hotel just before this Descent of the Stairs. Check the time for this in the foyer of the DLH, there is a little noticeboard near the foot of the staircase with this information on it. Its usually either 4pm or 5pm.

julesk

I agree with Elaine, we noticed the charactors tend to target the younger guests so I would aim for every charactor meal and meet n greet possible. We filled 2 autograth books just doing charactor meals and didnt queue once. We did Inventions at the Disneyland Hotel three times, Princess Meal once, Cafe Mickey breakfast  and bumped into a few charactors in HNY just outside the shop around lunchtime. Minnie loves to dance everytime we see her  :D  

Aim to wear say Minnie ears as the charactors love it when you acknowledge your faverates. My daughter had a mixture of outfits from Minnie, Rapunzel wedding dress and Rapunzel purple dress and carrried Minnie and Duffy bears around. Minnie and Mickey where very impressed.

Have a great time :thumbs:

Shannon

I'm 18 and I love meeting characters too, they're always so much fun! :) I agree with what everyone else has said - going to the hotels in the morning is a good idea (you can just pop in and there should be a board to tell you who will be there and what times) as well as going to the descent of the stairs on thurs-sun as it's usually relatively quiet there :) when we went poor Gideon was left alone for ages!

I think recently Goofy has been meeting on Main Street where Duffy meets, although we've also seen Tigger there before so it's probably random. Again, there will be a sign to tell you who's meeting :) the Duffy meet is usually quite quiet so you don't need to turn up early, but for the others which are more popular (Buzz, Mickey etc) then you could go a little early, I think 15 minutes would be fine.

I'd definitely recommend going to Café Mickey (or the other character dining places if your budget allows!) as you get to spend quite a lot of time with each character (we met 5 there) and it's about the same price as the other table service restaurants so it's quite inexpensive, especially if you only want a main and a drink!

As for the random characters, I wouldn't be put off by the fact that they can favour children. If you go with an autograph book and stand your ground then they will give you attention - I've seen quite a lot of adults meeting characters this way and it has been fine! The key thing would be to not let people push in front of you! A lot of characters come out in the Studios in the afternoon (it is listed on the schedule under 'Disney Characters' I think) so it might be a good idea to wait around Toon Studio for them - I think they spread out quite a bit, I know some go near the Art of Animation building (the big blue hat).

Have a lovely time and good luck with finding lots of characters! :D

[size=85]June 2012 - Santa Fe
March 2013 - Cheyenne - (Trip Report)
March/April 2014 - Cheyenne[/size]

DisneyG83

Guys, I can't thank you enough for your amazing responses!
Last year I was gutted that my mum walked past Rafiki and Timon from the Lion King in Adventureland and I was busy riding on Space Mountain haha!

Thanks for the advice for the busy meet and greets! Will make sure to get there before it starts to get busy. Are all the meet and greets mentioned in the programme the one's where they have a Disney photographer? Do they let you take your own photos as well as them since they'll only be me and my friend and I'm sure we'd like to get seperate photos on our own cameras with the characters..

Julesk - I have my 20th anniversary Mickey ears at the ready from last summer! :D

Shannon - I met Goofy and Pluto in the studios lot last summer! It was soo cool :D I literally ran after Goofy because he was walking away!

Thanks again! :D
Just Like We Dreamed It
Do You Believe in Magic?
Magic Everywhere!

Elaine

you can take your own photos at all the meet n greets - if theres an official photographer there, if you ask them nicely, they might use your own camera to take some photos for you.

DisneyG83

Quote from: "Elaine"you can take your own photos at all the meet n greets - if theres an official photographer there, if you ask them nicely, they might use your own camera to take some photos for you.

Aww that's great, I didn't think they would allow guests to do that!
Cheers :)
Just Like We Dreamed It
Do You Believe in Magic?
Magic Everywhere!

gemmasteele84

yeah they didnt have a problem with it :) The one at Mickeys meet and greet actually took my camera off me and made me get in the photo too lol

DisneyG83

Quote from: "gemmasteele84"yeah they didnt have a problem with it :) The one at Mickeys meet and greet actually took my camera off me and made me get in the photo too lol

Aww that's soo cool!
Just Like We Dreamed It
Do You Believe in Magic?
Magic Everywhere!

DisneyG83

Just another question!
Sorry I keep asking loads!

After looking through some pictures on Instagram, I found a girl who has various pictures with both Peter and Wendy and the Mad Hatter from numerous trips.

Do Peter and Wendy tend to hang around 'Peter Pan's Flight' at a certain time of day? Or is it just random?
Same with the Mad Hatter at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party location?

Thanks x
Just Like We Dreamed It
Do You Believe in Magic?
Magic Everywhere!

gemmasteele84

I saw Peter and wendy twice, both by the ice cream parlor next to 'Its a small world' Saw a lot of characters there :)

DisneyG83

Quote from: "gemmasteele84"I saw Peter and wendy twice, both by the ice cream parlor next to 'Its a small world' Saw a lot of characters there :)

I have heard the best place to catch characters is near 'It's A Small World' haha!

Also, on the programme for shows/meets, I noticed the character meeting in the studios at 2:30-3:45 which is 15 minutes before the studios parade, does this mean that the character around Toon Plaza are likely to be the characters that are showcased within the parade?
Just Like We Dreamed It
Do You Believe in Magic?
Magic Everywhere!

Aurora1

Yes that`s usually the ones doing the parade afterwards! Sometimes they come out earlier.
And they spread as far as to the Carpets of Agrabaah! We met  Jasmine and Aladin  over there at least twice!

minnieme

We were there during the last week of May. We had just commented that we hadn't seen very many characters around, and we saw, in the Studios, Mulan and Arial for photos and autographs. Gaston was also there but he was walking round pushing people and running around with kids chasing him. Hard to pin him down for a photo. Aladdin was also in the Studios. We saw Peter Pan and Wendy near the ice cream parlor too and also Suzy was outside its a Small World.
We saw Donald outside Hakuna Matata for photos and Autographs in Adventureland, Smee was in the Hotel at Breakfast with Mickey and Minnie.
Jack Sparrow was outside side door Au Chalet De La Marionnette in Adventureland on 2 separate days, (and he was pretty convincing too!!),
We were watching a little pirate show next to Pirates of the Caribbean ride - a few guys dressed as pirates playing instruments and singing. When they had finished they were all pretending to be drunk. We were filming a bit and one of the pirates came up to our camera and muttered in French waving his arms at us as if he was angry. they were great. At the same time, Hook walked past (very quickly!!) with some pirates behind him and the pirates hurled abuse at the pirates who were singing and they shouted back. Not sure where Hook was heading but lots of people took off after him!!
We saw a lot of the princesses next to the Pavillion, but they don't stop as they are changing over. We got photos of them anyway!!!

April 2011 & June 2012 Hotel New York
May 2013 Disneyland Hotel
Aug 2014 Disney Magic Med cruise
Aug 2014 Disneyland Hotel
May 2015 Disneyland Hotel