Second new attraction in 2014 - denied by Disney

Started by Josh, March 14, 2012, 01:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

What's this? Two new rides in 2014!?
http://www.dlrptoday.com/2012/03/13/two ... nvestment/

I really like Mr Gas. Although he's still very much a businessman, he seems to enjoy his job a lot.

But yeah, Anthony summed up all of my thoughts: the second attraction couldn't be Sourin' (sadly). It would have to be either a replacement for Armageddon or he's trolling us and is referring to the Ratatouille restaurant. :P
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Anthony

Split this from the Ratatouille topic - very exciting!

Glad you agree with those predictions, Meph. The budget being announced again as €150m seems to confirm it won't be anything too major, as that's what we were expecting Ratatouille to cost, but any of those three suggestions I put out would certainly be a big boost to the park. Does anyone have any other possible ideas?

It might also show they're worried about Ratatouille being too popular for its own good, if they're planning to increase capacity somewhere else alongside it. Probably a very good idea, to disperse the crowds, as the Studios will suddenly be becoming a must-see part of the resort with its own dark ride, if it isn't already.

dagobert

I think Disney is either replacing Armageddon, because in a round table discussion Mr. Gas mentioned that the licencing agreement on that attraction is running out and you don't invest in 15 year old licences, or they are building a smaller ride next to Ratatouille to increase capacity in that area.

However I would have prefered to see something new inside DLP as well. My choice would have been the Star Tours upgrade.

never2old

In the interview Mr. Gas does say that they're also building new hotels and restaurants, so I don't think he's thinking of the Ratatouille restaurant when he mentions a second ride... But the thought did cross my mind that he could be talking about a new photolocation or something like that...

No matter how sad it would make me (I love that show, and now thinking about it I got the song stuck in my head  :roll: ), but replacing Animagique by a 4D show makes sense, as Anthony says they could run it non-stop throughout the day, and really increase the park's capacity.

I wouldn't be sad at all to see Armageddon go though. Last time I did it was over 2 years ago, and it was only because there was no queue and it had been a few years since our last visit... I also imagine that it wouldn't bee too difficult to re-theme the whole thing, maybe with a Marvel theme, and keep many of the current elements. An Avengers ride for instance?

ulak

I agree with replace for Armagedon- i visit this atraction one time ( only for nothing queue) and nothin give more give me go on this in future.
And i HOPE for Animagique for some next years! Animagique is ONLY ONE big live show in Disneyland Resort with big magic! Please, dont cancel this atraction! I want to see it this year!!!!
[size=85](sorry for my bad english, thank You!)[/size]

pinkboxers

It would be really sad to see Animagique go, even if it's 'old' I still enjoy it everytime we go in and see it. It doesn't have this whole outdated feeling like HISTA or Captain EO gives me. I agree with the posts above with 'letting Armageddon go' - it seems to be okay the first time you go in (just ok though, nothing more) but has no repeat value whatsoever.

If Ratatouille is gonna be expensive, would there be any chance the new 'attraction' could be another character meet-up point like the Princess Pavilion (I hope not...)?
"It's like when you go and you see a really great band live for the first time, you know, and nobody's saying it but everybody's thinking it: "We have something to believe in again."

sparklesprestonia

Couldnt agree more I think it's time for Armageddon to go its a great attraction but the pre show is just far to long I understand that due to capacity the pre show is that length only went on it this year because it was so cold -6 in January/February. Also maybe instead of building another attraction how about making the Tram tour more exciting apart from Catastrophe Canyon and the Reign of Fire set's what else is there to see how many times can you look at the Dinotopia sets YAWN
Santa Fe November 2010
Santa Fe Januray/Feb 2012 (a very cold trip)

dagobert

I also bet on Armageddon, just because Mr. Gas mentioned it in one of the latest round table discussions.

If WDI really replaces Armageddon, I hope the come up with something that fits there. The new attraction should be based on a Disney live action movie and not on another cartoon. For that we have Toon Studios, Backlot is about action movies.

I also hope they have a masterplan in mind, because the time of quick fixes should be gone by now.

dagobert

Some here mentioned Philharmagic as a replacement for Animagique. Since Cinemagique is already a screen based attraction, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to have another one the other side of Studio 1. I'm against Philharmagic, because every cinema offers a better 3D experience. It's not that special anymore than 10 years ago. I know it's going to open in Tokyo soon, but I hope for somethinh new.

So I think it will either be a replacement of Armageddon or a small new ride for Toon Studios, because there it is very easy to add a new attraction. Just take another character and a cheap carnival ride and that's it.

Vegitabeta

I would be totally ok with losing Animagique.  Replace it with Philharmagic, it is essentially the same story anyway.  Armageddon can crawl away and die somewhere as far as I'm concerned.  Ok that is a little harsh, but it is taking up valuable space.

Hey, is it needs to be something to do with SFX, how about a re-creation of the 20,000 Leagues squid fight? :D

JelleP

Quote from: "Vegitabeta"Hey, is it needs to be something to do with SFX, how about a re-creation of the 20,000 Leagues squid fight? :D
Now that would be something to see! Like an updated version of the Giant Squid attack from the Nautilus in the DLP? :D
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Anthony

I like the idea of a Marvel retheme for Armageddon. That wouldn't necessarily add capacity, but it would make people actually want to ride the attraction, so the queue line would fill up much more. They'd also be able to create a pre-show that has more of an actual narrative to it. The major reason why that's so boring at the moment is that literally no-one cares about Armageddon, so they had to go with a concept that consists entirely of "scream as loud as you can several times".

But then I wonder... would Disney want their first Marvel attraction to be something small like this? Wouldn't they want to make a big splash with it... or would no-one notice anyway? (Just like no-one outside of Disneyland Paris fans knows Armageddon itself exists as a Disney attraction)

Josh

I'd hate to see Animagique go, because it's such a unique show. They could change some of the songs, though, to make it feel 'fresh'. (Then they could say on the brochure that it's "new". :P ) And why should it go? Isn't there an Aladdin show in DCA that's the longest running broadway-like show in the world? :)

Also, they could have Avatar as a replacement for Armageddon. They could talk about the green screens and GGI and have guests interact with them. It'd fit with James Cameron's wishes of having more of his franchise in the parks.

(And I hope this new hotel will be the one they're planning on building where that Disney Events tent is, currently -- near the Disney Lake.)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

I really hope Disney don't waste any time or money trying to fix Armageddon by simply retheming it. That building and plot of land is way too small to fit a decent attraction on, so why don't they just turn it into a restaurant or shop?

I'm hoping that Animagique will be replaced by Mickey's PhilharMagic. Sure, the film will be 10 years old by the time it opens (if it opens in 2013), but it's one of the best attractions at the Magic Kingdom in Florida. I think it would be very popular in France, and always have a line of people waiting to see it.

[youtube:p3my99t8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96SPEf_r-ns[/youtube:p3my99t8]

Could €150 million be enough money to build Ratatouille: Kitchen Calamity and Toy Story Midway Mania!? Apparently Midway Mania cost $80 million to design and build, which converts to €61 million. That leaves €89 million for Ratatouille. Doesn't sound like enough to me.

[youtube:p3my99t8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRt3rnN7QQ[/youtube:p3my99t8]

dagobert

Although I also liked Philharmagic, I want to see something new and not a 10 year old 3D movie. Disney has so many possibilites, so please something new.

I would say the other attraction will be even on a smaller scale than TSPL, just a small addition to Toon Studios.