Random Character Meets Made Better

Started by dazzle_v2003, January 08, 2014, 09:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazzle_v2003

Live from DLP thanks to the many fan pages on Twitter is the reveal that DLP are testing out queue lines for character meet and greets which aren't on the schedule.

We've all complained about the scrums that are always involved when meeting a random character so it looks like DLP have finally listened and started to test out ways of making it better.

Thanks to the pictures that have been posted it looks to work very well. Hopefully now in the future we will all be able to meet our favourite Disney friends in much more comfort and enjoyment.

What are people's views? Is everyone happy or do you think it will ruin the excitement of randomly meeting your favourite Disney character?

polar vixen

Had some horrible experiences lasdt time, from my disabled son being squashed and trapped against a fence and having to climb over and retrieve him from the other side to a woman jumping over my pushchair with my 8 week old baby in, I really hope it works and sticks!

andlorna

Great news, again like most people say its like a scrum sometimes some people dont care who they step on, or push etc.
PREVIOUS VISITS,
Oct 06, Santa fe 3 days
Oct 07, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 08, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 09, Sequoia 4 days
Dec 09 New Year
Oct 10, Cheyenne 4 days
April 11, Cheyenne 4 days
Feb 13, Cheyenne 5 days
Feb 14, Cheyenne 5 days
Oct 14 Hipark 4 days
Nov 14 Hipark 4 days
Feb 15 Santa Fe 5 days
May 15 Hipark 4 days
Augt 15 Hipark 5 days
Feb 16 Cheyenne 5 days
April 16 Hipark 5 days
Aug 16 Hipark 5 days
Oct 16 Hipark 5 days
Dec 16 Sequoia new year
Next Trip
Oct 17 Hipark 5 days

haribosmum

That sounds good, more like the approach is WDW.  Though I find the Americans were more polite and naturally queued anyway.  Can anyone post a pic or a name to search on Twitter for it?  we go in 5 weeks :-)
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

never2old

Quote from: polar vixen on January 09, 2014, 10:53:35 AM
Had some horrible experiences lasdt time, from my disabled son being squashed and trapped against a fence and having to climb over and retrieve him from the other side to a woman jumping over my pushchair with my 8 week old baby in, I really hope it works and sticks!

:o :o   Why are people so horribly rude???

I love the idea of proper queues, I usually avoid trying to meet the characters because of the usual scrum... Hope they keep this system. From the pictures in twitter it seemed to work quite well!

Quote from: haribosmum on January 09, 2014, 12:57:25 PM
Can anyone post a pic or a name to search on Twitter for it?  we go in 5 weeks :-)

Users @DisneylandParisFans and @InsideDLParis both had pictures

15MagicalYears

I really hope this stays, the former system was a disastrous. I remember waiting with my friend who really wanted to meet Captain Jack Sparrow for a good 20 minutes without her getting a photo purely because of the uncontrolled mob that used to form around the characters.

gldc

This is one of the best things that's happened in ages to improve the guest experience. Will be very surprised if anyone prefers the old system to this so the feedback should be 100% positive.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Aurora1

Just that I understandthis right. As it looks from the pictures (fb had some too) it is basically a queue without a rope?
It looks organised. I hope it stays and people stick to it!

never2old

Quote from: gldc on January 10, 2014, 02:25:28 AM
This is one of the best things that's happened in ages to improve the guest experience. Will be very surprised if anyone prefers the old system to this so the feedback should be 100% positive.

Rude guests who have no problem with pushing ahead of everyone, have no respect for the other guests (including small children) and only think of themselves will probably prefer the old system  :P

lovindisney87

I much prefer to queue in an orderly way and eventually meet the characters, rather than standing patiently with my two dd's whilst people are shoving and pushing to get in front and then maybe not even getting to meet the character. I think this is definately a better way of doing it and should have been like this previously. Some people i have encountered whilst trying to meet characters with my dd's have been very rude, a lot of those adults with no children aswell.
[size=150]Disney trips
Many i cant remember from childhood including a 2 week holiday to Disney World in Florida

Davy Crockett Ranch November 2003
Santa Fe October 2010
Santa Fe March 2012
Cheyenne January 2014
Cheyenne January 2016 😁
Davy Crockett Ranch January 2019

Hopefully many more to come

pialykke

I can't wait to see this in effect! I hope they stick with this system, surely it encourages good manners automatically?!?

I've never understood the pushy parents - what kind of an example are they setting for their kids?!? (And others who are watching them).  >:(

I am very happy to see something is finally being done about it, having had the misfortune of missing out on Sully... He had his back against a fence and was being "molested" by pushy parents, so in the end he just walked off, leaving us behind absolutely gutted...  :'(  (This was our very first character meeting as well, so didn't exactly leave us hopeful for the rest of the week),

I know the CM's have been working their behinds off to try and control it, but this must surely make it easier for them too!

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

dazzle_v2003

Well according to tweets from @DisneylandPfans  the trial is still ongoing and the queues are successful and working well. Let's hope it continues into the busy summer season this well.

BoristheSpider

Quote from: polar vixen on January 09, 2014, 10:53:35 AM

That's awful! I don't see how anyone can be that desperate to meet someone in a suit.