The Future of Disneyland Paris

Started by dagobert, June 09, 2011, 03:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

What if they replaced Buffalo Bill's Wild West show with Legend of the Lion King from Discoveryland? That way it would still be a show, it would now be 100% Disney so kids would want to see it, and you could eat African-themed food while you watched it.

Just a thought.

peter

That sounds like a nice idea Alan. I'm sure people would pay to see this as long as it was high quality.

Josh

Quote from: "Alan"What if they replaced Buffalo Bill's Wild West show with Legend of the Lion King from Discoveryland? That way it would still be a show, it would now be 100% Disney so kids would want to see it, and you could eat African-themed food while you watched it.
Hmmm. I think the Disney Village is targeted more towards adults anyway. They probably see it as a night out for local towns as well as Disney's guests.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

@Meph

Buffalo Bills Wild West Show with Mickey and Friends is targeted towards adults? I don't think so. Sure, Disney Village as a whole is an entertainment nightspot, but any show "with Mickey and Friends" is definitely for families and kids.

ed-uk

I'd call Disneyland Paris family entertainment, and Disney Village is child friendly. Some parents might avoid the bars in Disney Village and late nights, but I've often seen children in the hotel bars. I can't think of anything much targeted just towards adults.
Ed & David

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

They'd need to make it a longer show for people to get value for money, or even Disney value for money, if The Legend of the Lion King were to replace Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. People who have seen the old Legend of the Lion King may resent having to pay the same show in a different location.

Personally I would like to see the Buffalo Bill's Wild West show replaced with something else as I find the food pretty awful and as a show it's fun once, but at that price I've never felt the urge to go again.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

Josh

If they ever do replace Buffalo Bill's, I can't think what sort of theme it would have. There's no genre like a western that gives the sort of atmosphere that Buffalo Bill's has.

Quote from: "Alan"@Meph
Buffalo Bills Wild West Show with Mickey and Friends is targeted towards adults? I don't think so. Sure, Disney Village as a whole is an entertainment nightspot, but any show "with Mickey and Friends" is definitely for families and kids.
It's definitely a family show (particularly now that they've added the characters). I just mean the village in general. I don't think kids would enjoy the New Year celebrations there, for example, as much as in the hotels or the parks.

I'm not saying that the village is for adults only, but a lot of the things that they offer there are things that adults would enjoy more. In a child-friendly way, of course.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

When I said Legend of the Lion King what I meant was, a show similar to Legend of the Lion King. Thinking about it more, Festival of the Lion King at Disney's Animal Kingdom would be a better fit for the Buffalo Bill space, because the audience surrounds the show. Here's a full video of Festival of the Lion King, if you're not familiar with it:

[youtube:3heqk9br]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQxVGZ5RH0&;[/youtube:3heqk9br]

Alternatively, Disney could bring a permanent Cirque du Soleil show to Disney Village, to replace Buffalo Bill. Or how about Disney On Ice, or a European version of The Golden Mickeys from Hong Kong Disneyland? Again, here's a video:

[youtube:3heqk9br]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-_gyO5YFt8&;[/youtube:3heqk9br]

P.S. Why aren't embedded YouTube videos working properly on this forum any more?

davewasbaloo

I doubt we will ever see CDS at DLP. Crescend'O was a flop in spite of it's awesomeness, and they are closing the CDS show at Tokyo next month despite it being only a year old. And I really would love a non synergistic entertainment that is good for all the family. Why should we pay extra for a show that is poor quality (that stupid lk show in DAK, I'm looking at you). I think the challenge with BBWWS is it is marketed wrong, and for those of us that love it, the cut backs in food quality, Preshow quality and the addition of the rubber heads have turned us off. Loads of DLP visitors don't even know what bbwws is, let alone it's existence. I remember once going and the family next to us had already eaten, they didn't know dinner was included.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

If it were to be replaced with something like The Lion King, it'd have to be an adaptation of the Broadway musical. But since that recently played in Paris, continues in London and has toured just about everywhere (the film is worn out, surely), it's probably not the best option.

Disney on Ice has been suggested a lot in the past. I've never seen one of those shows, do they have the style to hold an expensive dinner show? The Golden Mickeys is a nice suggestion, but maybe it isn't big/outlandish or different enough compared to in-park entertainment for people to shell out the extra money?

All things considered, Buffalo Bill is still pretty perfect for that space. I agree with Meph there's no other genre that gives that kind of atmosphere to a show. It just needs better promotion, more respect for its history and story, and for audiences to fall in love with the Western again. The Lone Ranger is out in 2013, you never know...

Quote from: "Alan"Thanks Anthony. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. I actually always look forward to your posts, because you have a fantastic understanding of the parks (better than Philippe Gas') and your opinion is always spot on.
Wow. You're mad, but thanks! :)

Quote from: "Alan"P.S. Why aren't embedded YouTube videos working properly on this forum any more?
Oops, fixed. It was getting confused when there were extra variables in the URL.

15MagicalYears

I don't think Disney on Ice would work well in the Village, simple because the success of DOI is that the magical world of Disney is being brought to your home town. Since you are already in the world of Disney it just wouldn't be the same. At least, that's my understanding of it.

CafeFantasia

@Anthony
Well, there are three Lion King productions that I can think of, that could replace Buffalo Bill's:

• The Legend of the Lion King (from Discoveryland)
• The Festival of the Lion King (from Animal Kingdom)
• The Lion King (the award-winning musical)

But, like you said Anthony, the Lion King could be a bit overused and worn out by now.

@15MagicalYears
I agree that Disney On Ice wouldn't make sense in Disney Village, for the reason that you stated.

So I'm trying to think of other shows that would be appropriate for Disney Village. How about something percussive and arty, like the Blue Man Group, which they have at Universal CityWalk in Orlando? Or how about The Power of Blast, like they used to have at Disney California Adventure and Epcot?

[youtube:k3bc1ima]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwLBBK4eXcM[/youtube:k3bc1ima]

Or how about the incredible 360? Peter Pan production that was recently in Kensington Gardens and then San Francisco? Imagine this in Disney Village. Everyone would want to see it.

[youtube:k3bc1ima]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aarxJRr7_xE&feature=related[/youtube:k3bc1ima]

Epcot_Boy

You know, I've sometimes wondered if they could replace BBWWS with a show along the lines of 'Fantasia'. It could have some lovely music scores, and I bet they could really have fun using indoor strobe lights etc 8)

David

Anthony

Quote from: "Alan"@Anthony
Well, there are three Lion King productions that I can think of, that could replace Buffalo Bill's:

• The Legend of the Lion King (from Discoveryland)
• The Festival of the Lion King (from Animal Kingdom)
• The Lion King (the award-winning musical)

But, like you said Anthony, the Lion King could be a bit overused and worn out by now.
Now I've given it some more thought, perhaps The Lion King could really work for a dinner show. It has an epic story arc, many dramatic, pivotal scenes, but also very fun and rowdy scenes with the likes of the Hyenas and Timon and Pumba. The African theme is popular, colourful, great for atmosphere and something which isn't really exploited all that much elsewhere in the resort, unlike the Old West.

You couldn't directly lift "Festival" or "Legend", being short theme park shows usually included in the ticket price. But a mix of both the Broadway musical and Festival of the Lion King could work really well, with Timon and Pumba presenting their rendition of the story. Big musical numbers, big "festival" set pieces. Would it be able to fill a mini-arena? I'm guessing they wouldn't use live animals, so they'd need a big cast to fill that space.

15MagicalYears

They could always increase the capacity, that way they are increasing the amount of people who can watch each show but decreasing the huge performance space.