My Quick Review

Started by WalkerboyUK, March 26, 2011, 06:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkerboyUK

This is my first post here, but I've been keeping an eye on it in preparation for our trip.

We're now back (more exhausted than before we went) so it's time for an honest and open review.

We visited from 23rd to 25th March, arriving via Eurostar at lunchtime on Wednesday, in a group consisting of 2 adults, a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old, along with 2 of their grandparents, who were having their first holiday with us.
Naturally we had booked the Disney Express, so we just dropped our cases off at the station and headed straight into the park.
There is only one negative regarding the outward trip - at St Pancras they had run out of the kids bags/packs!!
We were told that they had phoned Ashford and told them to put extra on there when we stopped - but they didn't.  Fortunately were able to grab two when we dropped our bags off.  The kids never put them down.

We were greeted by wonderful weather on our arrival (approx 18 degrees), and headed straight into the park for the afternoon.
Wednesday was definitely a good day to visit even with schools being closed.  It wasn't particularly busy and queuing times were relatively short.  We strolled down Main Street USA and through the castle.  Yes, it's got boarding up around the lower level, but it's well enough decorated to make sure it's not a disappointment.  However, from the rear it's pretty horrendous looking.

First ride was It's a Small World, followed by the Storybook Boats, Casey Jnr and the Teacups.  All 4 done in around an hour.   We then strolled around, in no particular hurry to get on anything, especially as the kids had been before so knew what they didn't want to bother with this time (Peter Pan, Carousel, Dumbo, Snow White etc.).

My 7 yr old was adamant she was going on Big Thunder Mountain so we eventually ended up there.  Queue was probably the longest we encountered through our visit - 20 mins.  While my wife screamed her head off, my daughter just laughed hysterically throughout.

More wandering, followed by a couple of rides (can't remember what), then it was off for the evening parade.  Short, but again great for the kids on day one.  

We ate at the Plaza Gardens, which was a bit of a nightmare.  Staff weren't particularly friendly and the non-French customers were directed to get food from the side which had the poorer quality food.  We went against that advice though!

Santa Fe hotel was our chosen accommodation and was fine considering it's just somewhere to sleep.
Oh, as a note - in September it's being re-named "Cars Hotel".

We spent all of day 2 in the Studios and had a really enjoyable time.
Characters were out and about and the kids got autographs and photos.
It's definitely a case of doing as the French do though rather than standing waiting patiently.  My kids were very quick to learn!
That said, the characters were incredibly friendly to the kids and us adults too.  We realised that if you're pleasant to the cast, they'll be very pleasant back.  If you act grumpy you'll get no response from them.
My wife and kids caught Stitch just as he came out and he played with the kids.

RC Racer - NOT for kids!!!!
Went on with daughter and my dad..... daughter came off completely regretting it, as did dad.
Slinky was short but sweet (15 min wait for 40 second ride) - 5 year old loved it.

Stars & Cars was a disappointment as there were technical problems meaning they only did a drive-thru.
That would have been fine if we'd been told in advance, but we weren't, so had spent an hour sitting in position in front of the stage waiting, only to have nothing come past.

Stitch Live had the whole family in hysterics as I became the victim of Stitch's fun and games.

Having missed it on our previous visit, we made sure we caught the stunt show this time.  Absolutely fantastic, though my son was upset by the noise, but we put that down to being tired as much as anything.
Took daughter to Rock N Rollercoaster at her request, but she chickened out at the last minute.
Went on Tower of Terror with dad as our last ride of the day - HOLY COW!!!
Firstly, the advertised 5 minute wait was a lie.... it's 5 mins to the door and then a longer wait inside.
Never going on that ride again - surprised I came out with clean underwear.

We were back in the hotel fast asleep by 8, though my parents stayed on to do Space Mountain & Star Tours (both in their 60s too).

Spent Friday morning in the park using the Magic Hours, though didn't go in until 9am.
By 9.30 we'd done Buzz Lightyear and I'd done Space Mountain as well.
Next we headed to the queue to enter Discoveryland, which didn't open until 10.  Rope dropped and within 10 mins, wife and daughter had done Thunder Mountain again!
Knowing the princesses were an important factor for my daughter, my wife queued for that while the rest of us re-did Small World, Casey & Buzz.  By this time my daughter had met Belle and was happy to carry on.

Next was the lunchtime parade/meet the characters.  Again, brilliant stuff from the cast with my kids and even my wife and I.  While Eyeore was signing I spotted that he'd drawn a raincloud so I commented and he interacted with us because of it.  Much better than just standing, signing and moving onto the next one.

After a break for lunch and a decision to break from the grandparents, we headed into the Studios again.
Decided to check with guest services if Stars & Cars would be running properly.  Just as well we did check as it was scheduled to start 30 mins earlier!
We decided not sit in front of the stage this time and got the benefit of the non-performing characters coming round to us.  Kids again got plenty of autographs and Lilo even pinched my daughter's Disney Express bag to go and show off with it.
Jessie was excellent as she had to perform on stage just before she got to us, but came straight over to us when she had finished and gave the kids an extra fuss.

We pottered round a bit more, just soaking up the atmosphere (and 20 degree weather), the kids met Buzz and spent all my money.  Back into the park for the parade and a few more rides until 7pm.

Then came the chaotic trip home.  Nothing wrong with the journey, just lots of incredibly tired and noisy children.  Fortunately my 2 were asleep within 15 mins.

Overall - absolutely superb trip 10/10
Park Quality  - Yes, could do with a bit of work, but the worst is outside, not inside.  Was always clean and tidy with plenty of staff around - 8/10
Queue Lengths - nothing wrong with them.  Nothing was longer than 20 mins, even on Friday when the place was PACKED.
How come we choose to moan about 30 min queues @ Disney, but are happy to wait 60 mins at Alton Towers or Chessington????? 8/10
Hotel - No complaints 8/10
Characters - People elsewhere have said there aren't any.  If that's so, how come my kids got 25 autographs?!?
As I already said, if you are pleasant to them, they'll reciprocate. 10/10

Terkina

It sounds like you had a great trip.  25 autographs is awsome :D
Disneyland 1981, 1986
Walt Disney World 1986, 1990
Disneyland Paris 1995, 2011

Claretjon

We stayed at Davy Crocket from Monday to Friday and had a fantastic time. I'd definetly agree with Walkerboy's comments about queuing to meet the characters. After my 4 year old daughter was pushed out of the way by some other children (with the encouragment of their parents!) for the second time, I did my bit for Anglo-European relations and told them what I thought and pushed them back out of the way (I know its childish but I hate seeing my daughter upset).

This soured the holiday a little but she got to meet Aurora and Tiana and had her photo taken, which made her day.

The parks were a bit busier than I expected, having been in mid-September, but nothing major and the weather was glorious. One bonus was that Casey Jnr and Le Pays des contes des fees (sp?) were open, as these were closed last time.

A 9 hour drive home was tiring but well worth it again