Old pics of Disney Village?

Started by CentralPlazaPerson, October 03, 2010, 01:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPlazaPerson

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any old pics of disney village from around 1997 to 2003? The reason.. I kind of remember huge statues in the middle of it of a cowgirl and a man playing guitar and I just want to clear it up as it's quite annoying me.. :lol:

Thanks  :thumbs:

davewasbaloo

I don't know where my pics for these are (they are the non digital kind). But yes, there were dancers (near Hurricanes), a cowboy (near Buffalo Bill's), a rockabilly 50's guy (near Rock N Roll America and Billy Bob's) and of course the giant roller skating waitress that is still at Annette's.
since 2001 (many before that)

mattboywonder

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any old pics of disney village from around 1997 to 2003? The reason.. I kind of remember huge statues in the middle of it of a cowgirl and a man playing guitar and I just want to clear it up as it's quite annoying me.. :lol:

Thanks  :thumbs:

Hey, that wasn't just a man, that was Elvis Presley; the king himself strutting his guitar.  I do have a photo but not digitally - I think the photo is from 1997
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "mattboywonder"Hey, that wasn't just a man, that was Elvis Presley; the king himself strutting his guitar.  I do have a photo but not digitally - I think the photo is from 1997

Sorry my bad,

These statues were near the entrance to Disney village I think. There were two and they were huge. Eventually Disney got rid of them. :(

SwipatronSparks

i remember them... vaguely.... dont think i have any pictures of them though...
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

dagobert

Friends showed my recently some pictures of the old DV. It looked so much better than now, especially during night. Why did Disney replace the old lights with these ugly illuminated balloons?

Timbo

As I remember , when "Festival Disney" !! first opened the columns did not have the figures there , and were solid to ground level , I think the cladding was removed and the figures added as all the columns looked a bit overbearing en masse , there was a lot of red and silver cladding going on !! And some of the columns have been removed as well now !
It did look wonderful at night ,with the sky of lights overhead , I'm sure they could do something similar now using LED as it would be nearly maintenance free !

SM:M3

Lots of lovely good stuff here at EuroSouvenirland.
Basically when it opened Frank Gehry, the architect (and a controversial one at that) themed Festival Disney to be an old power station that powered the railway line, and the columns were remnants of that. It was supposed to celebrate America, but guests never connected with it. Later on they ripped out the base of some of the columns to put in food kiosks, later then ripping out about 3/4 of the cladding to put it the statues. In 2005 all the columns in the street were torn out and the strange balloons put up. Basically many guests complained the area was cold and industrial and so the balloons attempted to address that.

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

I took these back in 2005:

Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

pussinboots

Quote from: "SM:M3"Lots of lovely good stuff here at EuroSouvenirland.
Basically when it opened Frank Gehry, the architect (and a controversial one at that) themed Festival Disney to be an old power station that powered the railway line, and the columns were remnants of that. It was supposed to celebrate America, but guests never connected with it. Later on they ripped out the base of some of the columns to put in food kiosks, later then ripping out about 3/4 of the cladding to put it the statues. In 2005 all the columns in the street were torn out and the strange balloons put up. Basically many guests complained the area was cold and industrial and so the balloons attempted to address that.

What the devil? An old power station that powered a railway line? And the columns somehow connected to this? What are you saying there exactly?

RockNRoller

Quote from: "PirateSteve"I took these back in 2005:

Thank you so much PirateSteve  :thumbs: , I had completely forgotten those figures. I do have photo's myself but for the life of me I have no idea, thats why I like digitial its all on my PC but this weekend I shall be in the loft looking for the old photo albums
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

SM:M3

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "SM:M3"Lots of lovely good stuff here at EuroSouvenirland.

What the devil? An old power station that powered a railway line? And the columns somehow connected to this? What are you saying there exactly?
That Gehry's a nutjob. Basically he thought it would be great but it turned out a bit crap. More Info

pussinboots

I see. What a stupid, stupid idea.

I always figured the columns were supposed to represent a city skyline in a stylized form. But no, it turns out they are the remnants of an old power station of the kind frequently found near railway lines, left standing after the site was converted into a festival celebrating the American way of life. Excellent.

sebassah

Quote from: "RockNRoller"
Quote from: "PirateSteve"I took these back in 2005:

Thank you so much PirateSteve  :thumbs: , I had completely forgotten those figures. I do have photo's myself but for the life of me I have no idea, thats why I like digitial its all on my PC but this weekend I shall be in the loft looking for the old photo albums

Wow I totally forgot about those as well!

Martyn

Wow, I remember these.... The Village looked so different back then. There was also the awsome signage that came out of the Sports Bar! As well as the decorations outside Buffalo Trading!