My Discoveryland

Started by dagobert, September 22, 2010, 06:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

I'm not very happy with the current Discoveryland. Since Buzz Lightyear opened it has lost a lot of its former charme.

First I would close Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast and Toy Story Pizza Planet, since they don't belong into a Jules Verne, H.G. Wells and George Lucas themed land.

In the building where Buzz is located there should be a table service restaurant themed to the great European visionairies.
Buzz Lightyear would move to the Studios, because this park desperately needs a dark ride.

Then I would knock down the Captain EO building and the Toy Story restaurant tent. On this place I would create the "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" ride. I think it would fit perfectly into the Discovery theme. I don't how much place this ride needs, but it is just armchair imagineering.

Star Tours will stay and transformed into Star Tours II. And of course I would bring back the original SM soundtrack.

JelleP

That would make THE perfect Discoveryland! Maybe they could change some of the theming on the outside of the ST building too? ;-)
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

davewasbaloo

I like it, though I would prefer the restaurant to be built in the original expansion pad designated for it (next to Plaza Gardens). Also, a Soarin' attraction with a nod to Timekeeper would be fantastic too (I sooooo miss Le Visionarium)
since 2001 (many before that)

disneyrules

Great ideas :)
I agree that Discoverland should have a soaring maybe to fit in with the theme it can be soaring through time or soaring through the future...
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

Samninetysix

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"(I sooooo miss Le Visionarium)

You and me both :(

JelleP

Quote from: "Samninetysix"

Same feelings here  :(
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

dagobert

Quote from: "JelleP"
Quote from: "Samninetysix"

Same feelings here  :(

I'm joining. I was lucky enough to experience it in 2000. I really loved it, although I was teenager that was looking out for thrill rides at DLP. It was my dad's favorite attraction at DLRP and he was disappointed when my parents returned with my younger brother in 2008 that it was gone.

Now I'm going to change my plan.
I will replace Buzz with Le Visionarium and the table service restaurant will move to the place dave has suggested. I didn't know that there is enough space for a restaurant.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"Now I'm going to change my plan.
I will replace Buzz with Le Visionarium and the table service restaurant will move to the place dave has suggested. I didn't know that there is enough space for a restaurant.

Back to the original action plan!

dagobert

Do you know what restaurant was supposed to be built at that place?

If Tim Delaney would see today's Discoveryland, I think he would be a little bit disappointed.

If Disney just had used the same colour sheme of gold and brown, like they did with SM and Orbitron, for Buzz Lightyear, it would match the rest of the land better. At least in terms of colour schemes.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"Do you know what restaurant was supposed to be built at that place? .

Yes I do, and I have seen some of the concept art too. It was to be a table service restaurant under the sea with views onto fish (like the Coral Reef in Epcot), only victorian style. And there were supposed to be actors (like in the now closed Adventurers Club) that were visionaries and inverntors, sharing their ideas and inventions with diners. It was supposed to be like Gustav Eiffel, Jules Verne, Leonardo Da Vinci and H.G. Wells got together to open a mediterranian restaurant. It would have been fab, and a natural tie in between Discovery Arcade and Le Visionarium.

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "dagobert"Do you know what restaurant was supposed to be built at that place? .

Yes I do, and I have seen some of the concept art too. It was to be a table service restaurant under the sea with views onto fish (like the Coral Reef in Epcot), only victorian style. And there were supposed to be actors (like in the now closed Adventurers Club) that were visionaries and inverntors, sharing their ideas and inventions with diners. It was supposed to be like Gustav Eiffel, Jules Verne, Leonardo Da Vinci and H.G. Wells got together to open a mediterranian restaurant. It would have been fab, and a natural tie in between Discovery Arcade and Le Visionarium.

That would have been great. Was it designed by Tim Delaney during the planning stage? Unfortunately I think that I will not turn into reality.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"That would have been great. Was it designed by Tim Delaney during the planning stage? Unfortunately I think that I will not turn into reality.

Yes it was, and I agree, I doubt we will ever see it. Especially in the way that a lot of the good restaurants have been ruined by making them buffets or character meals.

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "dagobert"That would have been great. Was it designed by Tim Delaney during the planning stage? Unfortunately I think that I will not turn into reality.

Yes it was, and I agree, I doubt we will ever see it. Especially in the way that a lot of the good restaurants have been ruined by making them buffets or character meals.

It annoys me so much that Auberge De Cendrillon was transformed into a character restaurant. We loved it. It is one of the nicest restaurants at DLRP.

Hopefully the rumoured restaurant at the Ratatouille ride will not be a character restaurant.

sebassah

Just to start off... let bring back the original SM music... Am I the only one riding it with my Ipod on nowerdays? LOL