Disney Magical Moments Festival (From April 2011)

Started by Kristof, September 01, 2010, 09:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

The logo for next year's theme has been revealed on Disney Central Plaza, via DLRP Express:

Kristof

So what's rumoured to be new:

- New hub show with Sorcerer Mickey, one time a day
- Characters Express once again re-used
- Mickey's House from Hong Kong Disneyland inside Festival Stage
- Permanent princess meet 'n' greet location in "it's a small world" post show

Again, these are just rumours for now.  More information soon.  :thumbs:

norhel

Must say that I like the logo. :-)
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

pussinboots

I don't. At all. It's neither here nor there. It's six stock images in a stock shape. How many exhaustive minutes have gone into this?

What is that typeface? Gotham, the Obama font? Why? Why put a 1930s-style modernist typeface in shiny golden ornamentation? What is the message here?

Every year I think it can't possibly get worse...

pussinboots

This really is the worst thing anyone has ever done, ever.

RiverRogue

As I said a while ago, I'm relieved that they use more "classic" colors this time. Not that I'm a fan of the logo, but it will likely have a less harsh visual impact in the park than, say, MMP and NGF.

Quote from: "pussinboots"What is that typeface? Gotham, the Obama font? Why? Why put a 1930s-style modernist typeface in shiny golden ornamentation? What is the message here?

My guess is they're trying to ride on the Pixar wave with that (y'know, grotesque font with 3D effects.... if it got Pixar 1 billion dollars, why not us?). It's not exactly the face that says "magical," that's for sure.

Quote from: "pussinboots"This really is the worst thing anyone has ever done, ever.

Hmm, I disagree. I'd nominate the old hyperactive Disneyland Resort Paris logo... Three words in three typefaces doing all kinds of crazy stuff with a few effects thrown in... So maybe it's just that I'm glad that they went back to the simpler DLP logo, but this one doesn't horrify me.

Columbiad

I rather like the new festival Logo. Again, shame Woody isn't in there, and it's rather bizarre choice of other characters in there (Hook, the White Rabbit and Pumba?!).

I don't like the resort Logo though. That banner just looks...... Wrong.

What's Mickey's House from HK Disneyland? Is it like Mickey's Country House at WDW?

pussinboots

Quote from: "RiverRogue"As I said a while ago, I'm relieved that they use more "classic" colors this time. Not that I'm a fan of the logo, but it will likely have a less harsh visual impact in the park than, say, MMP and NGF.

Possibly, although we haven't seen the visual impact yet... If they stick to fabric banners on lamp posts and don't give in to their enormous urge to get creative with fiberglass, I suppose it might be a real improvement.

QuoteMy guess is they're trying to ride on the Pixar wave with that (y'know, grotesque font with 3D effects.... if it got Pixar 1 billion dollars, why not us?). It's not exactly the face that says "magical," that's for sure.

Yes, and that brings me to my other beef with these things — how they're trying to somehow glue Buzz Lightyear and Jiminy Cricket and Princess Tiana together and sell it as a single package. During the 5th anniversary, they picked one film (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and went home with that look and feel. So you had a nice medieval year where everything had jester's hats. Now they're trying to cover all their bases at once, resulting in these odd sort of festivities that are both everything at once and nothing in particular. I don't know how to feel when I see this stuff.

Well, there is one association that pops up. You're obviously a very keen-eyed graphic designer. Surely — and you will sense my desperation to get you to agree with me — you will get what I mean when I say the blue ribbon looks like it belongs on an American supermarket product with an indefinite shelf life.

QuoteHmm, I disagree. I'd nominate the old hyperactive Disneyland Resort Paris logo... Three words in three typefaces doing all kinds of crazy stuff with a few effects thrown in... So maybe it's just that I'm glad that they went back to the simpler DLP logo, but this one doesn't horrify me.

Ha. I came across the "RESORT PARIS" part of that logo on a graphic design agency's portfolio a while ago. I forgot which one, but it was British and very high-profile.

And as nice as the simpler Disneyland Paris logo is, giving it 147 3D effects rather diminishes its merits.

Malin

QuoteWhat's Mickey's House from HK Disneyland? Is it like Mickey's Country House at WDW?

A bit similar. But while Mickey's Country House at WDW is a permanent structure. Mickey's House from Hong Kong is just a bunch of detail sets and scenes themed to look like his house. See links below for a few promotional pictures.

http://multimedia.hkdlsource.com/gallery/image/1648
http://multimedia.hkdlsource.com/gallery/image/1649
http://multimedia.hkdlsource.com/gallery/image/1650

I don't dislike the image or the idea of yearly events. Since it keeps things fresh. But why call it a Festival. Would Disney's Magical Moments not be more suitable and Disney like. Also how many years are they going to recyle that train.

Still I welcome both a new hub show for the park and Mickey's House. But will be interesting to see what gets passed off as new for next year.

Donald-Duck-Malta

Super Nice logos! :D I like the idea they are bringing the sourcerer in the theme this year! :thumbs:

Mason Cooper

You see I don't mind the new logo, I can see where they are going with it! I think they are going with the DVD/blu-ray releases. Princess & the Frog is the newest classic release, Fantasia is the next release after beauty and the beast in November and Lion king is the one after that! Toy story 3 is being released for Christmas and I dunno about Hook or the White rabbit, perhaps they are re-releasing Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland next year! But I like it!

Mason :D
I\'ve been having these weird thoughts lately... like is any of this for real or not?
<3 Kingdom Hearts!

RockNRoller

Im not against the logo it just doesn't really excite me that much, another festival, somewhere under all those banners is a park that hasnt had a chance to stand on its own for a while now. I just wonder if year after year of "special" events isnt just getting a bit much. Still I guess I'll just have to wait and see
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

Tuvok

Here's the logo with only Sorcerer Mickey. I like it! It has a very 15th Anniversary look to it.

DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

alaina82

Does anyone else starting singing that really annoying 'Magic Moments' song when they see this logo :P

RiverRogue

Quote from: "pussinboots"Yes, and that brings me to my other beef with these things — how they're trying to somehow glue Buzz Lightyear and Jiminy Cricket and Princess Tiana together and sell it as a single package. During the 5th anniversary, they picked one film (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and went home with that look and feel. So you had a nice medieval year where everything had jester's hats. Now they're trying to cover all their bases at once, resulting in these odd sort of festivities that are both everything at once and nothing in particular. I don't know how to feel when I see this stuff.

Agreed. As far as "themes" go, this one is definitely the most vague they could find... A kind of one size fits all. But that might not be a bad thing in the case of DLP, as in theory it allows a multitude of sub-themes which could be adapted to the existing park themes. (Well, okay, in an ideal world it would.) NGF, no matter how you turn it, doesn't have its place in a Victorian-era small town or 1940s Hollywood. "Magical Moments" just might be generic enough to fit in.

But I do see your point, and I don't think my above paragraph was at all what they had in mind when they developed this...

Quote from: "pussinboots"Surely — and you will sense my desperation to get you to agree with me — you will get what I mean when I say the blue ribbon looks like it belongs on an American supermarket product with an indefinite shelf life.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Actually, those banners are better than the MMF ones.....

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting immune to all those atrocities.

QuoteAnd as nice as the simpler Disneyland Paris logo is, giving it 147 3D effects rather diminishes its merits.

Ah, but now imagine those same effects plus the banner applied to the old logo! Heh...