Beyond The Forbidden Journey

Started by CafeFantasia, August 02, 2010, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

I just wanted to post this idea while it's still fresh in my head.

I was looking at some photos of the Forbidden Journey ride at Islands of Adventure in Florida and I got thinking, when your vehicle is inserted into one of those domes, how do they have the clearance to actually project footage into it? Where are the video projectors located? How come the car you're sitting in doesn't obstruct the light coming out of the projector?

And then I thought, what if the projectors were actually attached to the car you're sitting in, for example, above your head or either side of the car? I don't think this is how the Forbidden Journey works, but it lead me to have this idea...

Here's a new ride concept. Imagine a ride like the Forbidden Journey, where you're travelling around inside a huge warehouse, attached to the end of a robot arm. But now, imagine if the scenery inside that building was totally blank. Imagine you were travelling past blank white walls, and blank white boxes. It would look very abstract with all the work lights on.

But now, imagine if the car you were travelling in had several HD video projectors attached to it, and it was actually spraying out a virtual world onto those white sets, perfectly synchronised. It would be like being on a simulator ride, without the feeling of being enclosed. Everything around you would be virtual, but would appear in a physical space. The sets, the buildings, the scenery, the characters, the lighting... everything would be projected.

I think it's a pretty cool idea. I'm sure someone will build it, one day. You heard it here first :-)