lanyards, pin bags, storage? help!

Started by fly_with_me_dumbo, July 04, 2010, 03:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fly_with_me_dumbo

hi my collection is starting to grow and i was just gonna keep buying lanyards for my pins but i was jsut wondering has anyonever made their own pin bag to store them in? because they are ever so pricey :S. or does anyone store them any other ways?
and how much are lanyards in the park roughly, seen as we can get them here for £3 in the DS
any help would be good :D

Eager_Eyes

I've just come back from Florida pin trading bags were $40 over there I'm not sure of the price in DLP I think they're around 50ish Euros (hopefully someone will correct that with the right info)

I would say they're worth, I picked one up in Florida I've invested a lot of time and effort in my pin collection especially the hidden mickey's I've ran all arond searching for so they deserve somewhere nice to live.

The other invention that I came up with was getting a A4 binder and using coin collecting wallets but that didn't really work out, as the pins don't really sit right in them.

Eager_Eyes

I've just come back from Florida pin trading bags were $40 over there I'm not sure of the price in DLP I think they're around 50ish Euros (hopefully someone will correct that with the right info)

I would say they're worth, I picked one up in Florida I've invested a lot of time and effort in my pin collection especially the hidden mickey's I've ran all arond searching for so they deserve somewhere nice to live.

The other invention that I came up with was getting a A4 binder and using coin collecting wallets but that didn't really work out, as the pins don't really sit right in them.

Stitch2814

I keep mine on a cork board so I can see them all the time, I only have about 120-ish pins so can easily display them on a cork board I will get a pin bag when it is needed for extra pins or for my trading pins.

I doubt I would keep pins I wanted inside a bag where I have to open up everytime I want to see them lol but I guess each to there own :)

fly_with_me_dumbo

you see i like storing mine all together in something that has to be opened :D.

Eager_Eyes

I've been collecting pins for 10 years.  I have 5 made up cork boards, and I've ran out of space.  Pin bags are nice as you get to look at the pins in detail and appreciate them in a way that I don't tend to when they're up on a wall but its a personal thing.

Stitch2814

I will probably invest in a pin bag before I go to DLRP as will need something to carry around my LE pins in especially if Im going to the PTN as cant have them all plonked in a tin XD

DS.com sell a pin bag or book I think small $25 and Large is $40

Belle's World

Does anyone know how many pins you can fit in the pin bag you can get in DLRP? I'm looking to get one in October when we go as i have 2 cork boards full now and i can't fit anymore in.

Ro

simonandwendy626

Hi All,

Have tried various ways of storing my pins but now we have around 1700 in our personal collection the only safe place to keep them is in bags.
I have around 100 ish stitch pins in one bag and still have some room left but not much. The bag weighs a ton though :lol:
Taking a pin trading bag with you to DLP is a good idea in theory but I must warn you it can get extremely weighty.
Instead I take the plastic sleeves used for trading cards/business cards and bind them with metal binding rings. Its a lot lighter and the pins fit perfectly on their backs or you can get two pins per pocket.
Our friend Stuart got us into that. He uses it when he goes to the trading nights.

TTFN
Wendy :thumbs:

fly_with_me_dumbo

think im gonna try the trading card wallets and in i zip up binder or some black card with the pins on inside instead of trading card holders :D. mine are all jsut stuffed in a box right now :/ gonna take the ones to the park with me on lanyards and just have them in my bag :D

Stitch2814

My traders are in the box my phone came in lol Ive just purchased a pin bag from DS.com which will help me when I travel from Ireland to Manchester when I bring pins to show people.

simonandwendy626

Guys just a little heads up

One thing that has happened to us a couple of times when going through customs etc. A few years back we took a bag of pins to paris but the pins set of the metal detector and we had to go through a search of our luggage which took ages, and ended with us having to wait whislt they looked at every page in the bag( we think they just liked the pins)

So to speed this process up we now take our pins in a seperate bag and yes it still sets of the detectors and they want to look at the pins but at least we haven't had to wait whilst they empty our entire suitcase .

Hope this helps

Stitch2814

thats good advice :) but I will be travelling by eurostar so if you have any advice for that method of transport then you will be a big help lol

simonandwendy626

We were traveling by Eurostar!

Eager_Eyes

I always pack my pins in a clear plastic sealed box inside my suitcase so that they're nice and seperate.  I wouldn't take them hand luggage if I was flying.  I usually put them right at the top of my suitcase so that I can get them as soon as I get out at the other side so I can quickily make up a lanyard and get trading in the parks before going back later in the day to collect our cases and and go and check in properly.